PDA

View Full Version : need extractor for 45/70 #5 RB

Bullshop
12-30-2007, 07:19 PM
I am in need of an extractor for 45/70 in a #5 smokless roller. It has the origonal for 7mm but I dont have a good way to recut it for the 45/70. If somebody has one for a smokless action thats cut for a rimmed case it might be closer. Any ideas welcome.
Blessings
BIC/BS

Curtis44
12-30-2007, 11:28 PM
Bullshop, the extractors (look like flatwashers with a hook on them) on my 2 Remington #5's were bent to allow the larger 45/70 case to chamber. If I recall, a little dremel work is also required to reshape the hook for the larger case.

Lee

crossfireoops
01-03-2008, 05:30 PM
Bullshop, is the "Boss" that your exractor rotates on ( L.H. side of breechblock ) inconcentric with the Pin ?

Like a cam is what I'm getting at.......

OR,

Is it a longitudinally sliding bar.......retained by a screw pin LHS of reciever ?

I think the 7MMs used both.

GTC

Bullshop
01-03-2008, 07:55 PM
Seems to me its a washer lookin thing that goes on the block pivot pin. Guess I will have to do my best dremel surgery.
BIC/BS

crossfireoops
01-04-2008, 11:32 AM
OK ......That's probably the "Extractor / ejector" style, if the boss that it's I.D. rotates on is off center to the Breechblock pin bore, ....you've identified it as such .......

If the washer, viewed from above shows some " Dish / curavature" ....you're 100% sure certain. Was set up to spring and snap over the rimless case head

Note that this is a SPRING STEEL part, and will not handle welding or excessive heat to well.

There should be a " extra " Pin / screw down in the lower left ( 7:00) quadrant of the reciever , that intersects with a slot in the extractor ejector, ....and if I recall correctly gives it an "Over center" bump, to kick the spent cartridge out. Pulling this screw out eliminates "Ejection"....and leaves the extraction function like the older "rotary extractor" on the BP actions.

Wish I had one here to photo, ......no such luck.

I do have a fixture I made up for the rotary tabe, and can mill that block to take the Older style rotary part.......If you hit any real snags with the job

Blanks for that are available from Dave Higginbotham at Lonestar Rifle. Good beefy well made parts..

Measure three times, cut once.

GTC

Bullshop
01-04-2008, 02:10 PM
God willing I will look more closly today. Another question, looking at the forward face of the breech block there is a verticle slot cut below the actual breech face. Does that have something to do with the firing pin?
BIC/BS

crossfireoops
01-05-2008, 01:48 AM
Lordy, that's sounding like a OLD BP pressure only, (Iron) Nordic Breechblock.....the ones that were set up as Rimfire / Centerfire.....practical in the terms of what you had avail.

I reckon that Rem may have done those in the domestic market too.

No realm to mess with with in modern centerfire cases,....modern primers.

Man, ....get me a pic of this set-up.

A late model 7MM has no "slot" in it's breechface......and should show a STRONG radius between the breechface (Vertical)....and the lower Swing radius....the older BP blocks are very "Sharp" in that respect.....vert. milled to radius.

I've written about firing pins, and proper maintainance thereof,...and made a key point of the absolute necesity of having rollers REALLY well tuned, in this regard.......a bad (Over tensioned) lever lock spring, combined with a 'Sticky" firing pin can slam fire......not at all a good event.......potentially lethal.

Keep me in the loop.

GTC

shooter575
01-05-2008, 01:14 PM
I needed a extractor for my "baby RB" There were none to be had for the 44-40 as they were only made for a few years.So I took a repop 45-70 one and MIG welded on the extra meat I needed.Some work with the german mill and a dremel tool.Has had 400 or so rounds through it so far and no problems.Now this was with the"slider"type extractor.
Did they even make the roller type extractor in 45-70? I dont know?
Pic of my homeade one.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/shooter575/babyrb3.jpg

4060MAY
01-05-2008, 03:04 PM
Bullshop
If it really is a No.5 Remington RB originally in 7mm
The Extractor should fit on the side of the Block.
The slot in the bottom of the block is for a firing pin retractor.
There should be an extra screw below the block pin allowing the extractor to work on rimless cartridges. There was also a 7mm made with a sliding extractor.
The trigger guard will be cut to accept a spring to put pressure on the rotating extractor, ala Ruger no.1.

The picture is the block, extractor, firing pin, firing pin retractor and pin
this is from a 43 spanish

4060MAY
01-05-2008, 03:07 PM
installed

smokemjoe
01-06-2008, 12:17 AM
make sure the shell dont go pass to extractor befor you close the block.

Bullshop
01-06-2008, 01:49 AM
4060may
Yessir that is it right there. I bet an extractor from that 43 would work.
Anybody got a beat up old bent rusty one they would pay me to take to the dump for them?
Say did you recut the receiver to oct from round? I dont think I ever seen an oct receiver on a 43 spanish.
I have a smokless milsurp action thats been done that way to oct top with bent lower tang for pistal grip. Its been well tuned and its match worthy. It is a 32" heavy round barrel chambered in 38/55 with a 1/14"twist and wears a long range delux parts unkown rear with a browning spirate level front. Breach block is bushed for small pin. Its finiky as a thorough bread race horse but when you find the load its incredably accurate. It won one of the winter waksupi postal matches we used to have right here. I still have a copy of the target with 10 shots at 100 yards in if I recal correctly about .75".
BIC/BS

4060MAY
01-06-2008, 11:56 AM
Bullshop
Yes we cut the top and ground the sides flat, trying to make it look like a comercial action, Green Mountain 1-18 45-70. best group was 7 shots 100yds 7/8 and i still have the target.
Do you have the original extractor, if so it's not a big stretch to weld enough metal on it for a smaller caliber.
Crossfireoops has done this IIRC, reading this on the Shilo site.
If you don't have an extractor at all. Dave at Lonestar might be your best bet. http://www.lonestarrifle.com/ lists a rotary extractor at 35.00.
The Pedersoli extractor from VTI is 18.00, not sure it will work then there is alway evilbay.
I have a spare sliding extractor but no rotary ones. There is a guy in Calif you might try. kgwebay@wildblue.net

HTH

Chuck

crossfireoops
01-06-2008, 02:08 PM
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b115/robbinmyers/Reb43extr1.jpg

Funny and serendipitous....this thread running today.........I started fitting this Weld built up 43 Spanish extractor yesteday afternoon.

Sorry about the glare offa' parts, it's dark in the shop today, and flash offa' bright metal pretty savage. First thing jumps right out is that the original 43 Rim recess radius is substantially larger than the .45-70 Match chamber it's being transplanted into.

This makes for a very dicey and marginal rim engagement if the '43 extractor isn't bulked up / extended a bit,........I TIG welded this 'un, with 3.5 Nickle Steel, ....but one can fit and Silver braze an extension, or gas weld. I clamp the original part between copper chill blocks............and the whole setup is preheated to very warm prior to starting weld. Not the place for quench cracking, for sure.

Extractors fitted to originals show very little Chamber Wall material removed. The thin balloon head cart. brass they hadda' work with was not condusive to that.
We have (thankfully) not got this problem and our modern cases are stoutly "Webbed" in that area.......

Accordingly, and As you can see,.....I've milled / filed a fair chunk out of the aft chamber radius, and am fitting a VERY beefy hook into the completed recess.

Set up like this it's virtually impossible to get a case head past that hook.

I may or may not weld up the clearly larger rim radius reccess in this one, ...it may just be a spare, and one of Lonestar's blanks fitted for the rigors of BPCR shooting.

I'd be happy to measure, trace, sketch,cast what's goin' on here and foward to those in need of.

If you've already got an existing recess in your barrel shank looking for a
" drop in "can be frustrating ......better to work with an original or a blank, build up,... cut and try like.

The extractor pictured, 95% fitted, is supported by a little "Thimble / Bushing" turned in the lathe,....... the minor dia. turned to exactly the dia of the "Boss" that carries the hammer on the original block, .....and popped in and out easily while fitting. I don't use the block itself 'til I'm REAL close to final.

The " Camming " action of the #5 for 7MM extractor makes it a real bear to fit. Wish I had one here to photo......

GTC

Bullshop
01-06-2008, 02:21 PM
Thank you for all the info gentalmen. I am getting ahead of myself right now. I have the receiver in the white and want to get it case colored first. There is a local fella that is getting into this and I intend to talk to him.
I have an idea I would like to make this into a BP hunting rifle. I have for some long time wanted to do up a roller in a Gemmer style with a wiping rod. There is something appealing to me about a BP cartridge gun with the lines of a ML.
Blessings
BIC/BS

4060MAY
01-06-2008, 02:47 PM
Crossfireoops
I knew you were da man

Bullshop
I think I would do all the fitting before I had to work around a nice case color job