PDA

View Full Version : Considering purchasing a 9mm or .38 Spec - recommendations?

selmerfan
04-02-2014, 12:40 PM
I'll confess - I'm a rifle guy. But I purchased a Ruger Mk III .22LR Target a month or so ago and that thing a HOOT to shoot! I've got about 30 pounds of once-fired (not from a Glock...) 9mm brass, plenty of powder in the right burn range (Bullseye, 700x, Win 231) and I'm considering getting a 9mm so that I can reload for it. OR considering a .38 Spec wheelgun. I would want a gun suitable for carry, but also is accurate and easy to shoot with good ergos. What are your recommendations? Obviously I will "try before I buy" as in go to a gun store with a wide variety of models to experience the ergonomics for my hands. Thanks for the help! Oh - and I'm not looking to spend an arm and a leg - what is a good price range for a good production model pistol?

osteodoc08
04-02-2014, 12:57 PM
9mm- P226, CZ75, BHP, 1911

38 special- Smith 586/686 or Ruger GP100

MT Gianni
04-02-2014, 01:06 PM
Quite a few things to answer. I believe a 38 revolver is easier to get acceptable accuracy with than most 9mm's. Cost will be all over but expect $300 for a steal and $400 should buy you a good used gun in my part of the world. THat means looking at a lot of them, especially at the hand and rear of the cylinder for a revolver. Your wear should be even, lock up should be tight so that the cylinder moves minimally both rotationally and end play. Cases were easy to find for both, SPP are coming around, powder might be slow. I would look at in order of preference: a used S&W 38, Ruger SP101 heavy but serviceable, Charter Arms quality has been all over but IMO better than Taurus or Rossi. The standard for a 9mm for years was the Browning High power, figure $500 for a poor example. Smith, Baretta, CZ, Tanfaglio and a ton of others. I own a CZ75 and love it, have owned P89 Ruger and didn't, shot a walther I liked and own Smith and a Kahr in 40. I would recommend any of those.

selmerfan
04-02-2014, 01:18 PM
I've got a brick of SPP on hand, along with 3 pounds of Bullseye, 3 pounds of 700x, and a pound of Win 231 and can get my hands on up to 9 pounds of WST at $20/lb a few blocks from my house - components aren't an issue, though I'd need to get S&W brass. The idea of a 9mm semi-auto isn't all that appealing - but I've shot a .357 Magnum Ruger NMBH quite a bit and have thoroughly enjoyed that experience - it was my seminary roommate's gun, not my own, but I loaded for it. I've got plenty of lead on hand, I even have molds and dies for the .38 spec, though I'd probably end up with a wadcutter mold for accuracy's sake. Right now the most suitable mold I have is the Lee 158 gr. RF bevel base and a .358" sizing die.

freebullet
04-02-2014, 01:29 PM
Xd,xds,p938,pps9,gp100,sp101,lcr not neccisarily in that order.

dubber123
04-02-2014, 01:32 PM
I agree with MT Gianni that you can usually expect better accuracy from a .38 Spl. revolver than you can from an average 9mm semi. From my experience, and paying attention to gun tests, 4" groups at 25 yds. is pretty standard for a service 9mm. Plenty good enough for self defence, not so much fun for target shooting or plinking. You'll notice a lot of fellows shoot at 7 or 10 yds. with their autos..

I'd suggest a good used Ruger or S&W, but make sure to give them a good going over, they make lemons too, albeit at a greatly reduced rate to some brands. I expect a good .38 Spl. to shoot around 1" or so at 25 yds.

$400 should get you a decent gun. I just got a Pre model 14 K-38 S&W for $360 off Gunbroker. It shoots sub 1" at 25yds. with loads it likes, probably better after a little tuning.

Piedmont
04-02-2014, 02:13 PM
Figure out what your priorities are. A 4" S&W M15 (.38) would be the most suitable range gun for me partly because brass isn't thrown around, but I would never carry it for defense because there are better options (flatter guns with more capacity). If concealed carry is important, look at guns of various sizes and figure out what the biggest one you will carry is. My carry guns aren't the most fun range guns because they are small with DA trigger pulls and most of them toss brass around. So prioritize what the gun is for and then start looking.

BruceB
04-02-2014, 02:21 PM
You're going to get a lot of opinions.

I recently lost "my" compact carry guns to a divorce.

After some comparison shopping, I just bought a Ruger LC9, a very low-signature 9mm auto.....small, flat, light..... and a RUGER, which means it will almost-certainly work reliably. It also has a Crimson Trace laser sight, something new to this old pistolero (and his failing eyes).

Tomorrow will be the first range trip for the new gun, so watch this space. You-Tube reviews look positive, and extensive handling is making it feel very familiar to me, especially in dry-fire with that laser. The long double-action trigger pull does NOT move the red spot off-target, much to my satisfaction.

I went with the 9mm because the autos are flatter and easier to hide than the revolvers; I've carried an S&W 642 snubby a lot, as well as other compact Nines, and the 9mms concealed easier. The extra rounds in the Nine are also a benefit.... eight beats five anytime.

This Ruger is only seventeen ounces and less than one inch thick. If it functions as well as my other Rugers, it will be a winner.

I've carried hidden guns for upwards of forty years, using many different types over that time. My opinions are just that....MY opinions. However, they are pretty firmly based on experience. If this Ruger works out as I hope, it will be the best gun for its purpose that I've ever owned. As I said...watch this space! I'll post a report on the range trip sometime tomorrow evening.

EDIT: Going back over the thread, I realized that I had ASSUMED (yeah, I know) that you were considering concealed-carry guns. My apologies!

For field use, a .357 revolver is a wonderful device and I love them dearly. The M15 mentioned is a great .38, but I would go just a tad further and buy a Model 19... essentially the same revolver, but in .357 for a bit more flexibility.

Enjoy your choice!

3leggedturtle
04-02-2014, 02:33 PM
Are you close to Duluth? If so Fisherman's Corner in Hermantown always has a great selection of new and used pistols and revolvers.

selmerfan
04-02-2014, 02:33 PM
Priority is enjoyment and satisfaction on the target range, carry being a distant second

fecmech
04-02-2014, 02:48 PM
Priority is enjoyment and satisfaction on the target range, carry being a distant second
My advice would be the revolver then. The S&W's in just .38 spl (Model 15) tend to be priced less than models that shoot .357. They have adjustable sights and there's tons of them around and they are way more accurate than the 9MM's. If you like the spray and pray mode than 9's would be your best bet.

Piedmont
04-02-2014, 02:50 PM
Yeah, go find a pre-lock adjustable sighted S&W revolver.

selmerfan
04-02-2014, 03:03 PM
My favorite rifles are single-shots. Bolt-actions are as far as I go with repeaters. What does that tell you about my opinion on the "spray and pray" modus operandi?

selmerfan
04-02-2014, 03:04 PM
So, school me on S&W revolvers? What is "pre-lock"? How good can I get the trigger down to? I adjust all of my own triggers, including the Ruger Mk III I recently purchased. Makes a huge difference in accuracy and enjoyability factor for me. I hate heavy triggers and in my book, 3 pounds is heavy.

BruceB
04-02-2014, 03:25 PM
So, school me on S&W revolvers? What is "pre-lock"? QUOTE

> In recent years, S&W has installed internal locks on their revolvers. The lock is identified by an UGLY hole in the left side of the frame, behind the cylinder. (Some call it a "hickey".)

The lock is "cordially detested" by most S&W fans. Fortunately, there are hundreds of thousands of S&Ws out there without the locks.

QUOTE: How good can I get the trigger down to? I adjust all of my own triggers, including the Ruger Mk III I recently purchased. QUOTE Makes a huge difference in accuracy and enjoyability factor for me. I hate heavy triggers and in my book, 3 pounds is heavy.

> You DO NOT want to mess with the triggers on S&W revolvers. They are very touchy to deal with. The single-action trigger will typically be very crisp and light right out of the box.....and under three pounds.

The double-action pull can sometimes use some tuning, but have it done by a 'smith who KNOWS Smith and Wessons. Some recommend substitution of "spring kits", but I'll still say that it should go to a good gunsmith.

I do a fair bit of work on my own guns, but on the few (long ago) occasions when I tried improving a Smith and Wesson's lockwork, I regretted it.

S&Ws are wonderful revolvers. I've had a love affair with them for many decades, and there's no sign of it letting-up...

selmerfan
04-02-2014, 03:28 PM
If they're crisp and light in single action I'm good with that. If it ain't broke... I hate mushy triggers in particular - the Ruger Mk III was mushy and heavy. I installed the VQ kit on it, which helped, but I actually got a better pull by carefully stoning down the hammer for shorter travel by the sear. Voila! Beautiful trigger. I've never worked on a revolver before, so I shall heed the voice of experience.

Jeff82
04-02-2014, 03:40 PM
Well, if you want the absolute best accuracy I'd go with an S&W Model 14. Too long for a carry gun, but for accuracy is can't be beat. It shoots circles around my Ruger Blackhawk. Bruce B is right about the way the actions are set-up, very crisp and light single action and very heavy double action.

However, the revolver that's the most fun to shoot is the Model 36 snub-nose revolver. They're hard to shoot well, but with practice you can keep them in a twelve-inch circle at 25-yards single action, and do the same at 20-yards in double action. Of course, it's good for conceal and carry.

It really just depends on what you want to do.

--Jeff

Shiloh
04-02-2014, 04:05 PM
Springfield XD. S&W 686, GP 100, Charter Arms Mag Pug 4" Barrel. You may want to see what Ruger has in the 9mm. How do you like your Mk III??
I'm a Mk II guy.

SHiloh

freebullet
04-02-2014, 04:17 PM
Gp100 and sp101 triggers are not hard to work on. Info abounds on improving them. They are usable from the box, but I like crisp, short, and light as you mentioned. On my gp100 I smoothed and polished all the internals including the factory springs. Installed an overtravel stop, and I love it. After doing all that even the double action pull is nice, I hated the double action pull before. The sp101 is similar. For refrence I like a 2lbs trigger on rifles.

The autoloader triggers I mentioned are on the heavy side but smooth out nice with use. The p938 being best after break in.

Lefty Red
04-02-2014, 04:20 PM
Being a dedicated wheel gun guy, You can't beat an old S&W! I wish I hadn't past up on older M65, but wanted a Contender that was priced right.

Miss my 681, 38 special police trade in. Dead on with 158gr anything.

And yes the j-frames and Sp101 are fun and can be accurate. I could hit a two liter bottle at 50 yards with an old Taurus M85. And just about any SP101 I had. Have a 642 now and its still hasn't figured out what it likes yet. Nothing bad, but nothing really good either.

Really thinking about the new SP101 with a 4" barrel. Would be a dandy pistol to shoot and pack all day. Even hunt with. But then the GP100 is better at hunting. Just waiting for a half lug 6" one to come along.

I never had a problem with Taurus's older S&W clones. Had a couple M82 in 3" and 4" versions. Had a M83, adjustable 6" barrel 38, that was ok but nothing like a S&W M14.

Said Contender is in 357, so that will be my goto gun til I get a 38 special barrel for it. Ed has a nice 12" octagon one I want.

But any make and model mentioned before me is good. Just wait and find a good deal.

Lefty

Love Life
04-02-2014, 04:27 PM
I'd be looking into an old school S&W all steel auto in 9mm. Can be had cheap, dead nuts reliable, will feed empty cases, and accurate enough for it's design. If you are looking for a bullseye pistol then buy a bullseye pistol.

If you get a S&W revolver and want a very nice DA pull then send it of to Mr. Warren at BC Armory.

Old School Big Bore
04-02-2014, 04:39 PM
'Pre-lock' S&Ws are those mfgr'd prior to the current lawyer-friendly model with the keyhole in the sideplate - the consensus is, the less complication in the lockwork, the better. For your stated purpose, any S&W K, L or N frame .357 would be great, as would most Rugers, but don't overlook earlier models of either, or of Colt. I see Security Sixes and Troopers at very attractive prices quite frequently. Also take a look at some single actions - the Blackhawk convertible 9mm/.357 will let you ay with both calibers. Etc etc etc. Handle & shoot a lot of different guns before investing.

Nicholas
04-02-2014, 04:50 PM
Reloading? Then go with 38/357. Much easier to keep brass clean at the range. A rifle guy knows what I mean. You will soon tire of picking up 9mms!

A TC Contender with 10 inch barrel is also worthy of consideration if accuracy is your goal right out of the box. There is plenty of entertainment with this platform and the variety of barrels and stocks available can become an obsession.

selmerfan
04-02-2014, 04:58 PM
So...does accuracy degrade if I shoot .38 Special in a .357 Mag revolver? I know it can be and is regularly done, but I don't need a .357 Magnum either - though it would be fun to have on hand for deer hunting in my situation as well.

selmerfan
04-02-2014, 05:00 PM
I've got a TC Encore already - had a .357 Max barrel for quite a few years, but moved to where I could use a .260 Rem legally for deer in shotgun/pistol zone, so I sold the .357 Max. I think I want a revolver...

dubber123
04-02-2014, 05:45 PM
Lots of shooters use .38 Spl. in their .357's, and I have seen some very good groups from such a combination. I can't see how it could possibly HELP accuracy by increasing the jump to the barrel, but it doesn't appear to hurt much either. I have always just used a .38 for a .38, .357 for a .357.. Getting a .357 does allow you more power if needed, and .38 Spl brass is easier to come by. I really think you need two new revolvers. :)

MtGun44
04-02-2014, 06:17 PM
Look for a Model 14 S&W. They are not too expensive if not in mint
condition externally and are 'no excuses' pistols.
If you must have new, 586 or 686 or GP100.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=405763863

A bit too nice.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=403682371

Bill

Beerd
04-02-2014, 11:23 PM
"I've got all this brass. Better go buy a gun to shoot it with."
What kind of logic is that? :veryconfu

selmerfan
04-02-2014, 11:25 PM
^^^Beerd - you're obviously not a gun loony... I've actually got everything I need for loading .38 Spec except the gun - molds, powders, primers, brass. I have 80% of what I need. The gun is only 20% of the equation. :)

04-03-2014, 04:16 AM
I would go a 38/357 revolver, if you can make use of the 357 option for hunting even more reason.
Ive always found revolvers to be more accurate than similar priced autos, not to say an auto cant be just as accurate but you will pay more for it. 38spl seems to shoot well with just about anything you feed it and function properly with ammo of any power level.
Far easier to load for, when was the last time you read a post about 38 leading, tumbling poor accuracy etc.

winelover
04-03-2014, 07:44 AM
You're going to get a lot of opinions.

I recently lost "my" compact carry guns to a divorce.

After some comparison shopping, I just bought a Ruger LC9, a very low-signature 9mm auto.....small, flat, light..... and a RUGER, which means it will almost-certainly work reliably. It also has a Crimson Trace laser sight, something new to this old pistolero (and his failing eyes).

Tomorrow will be the first range trip for the new gun, so watch this space. You-Tube reviews look positive, and extensive handling is making it feel very familiar to me, especially in dry-fire with that laser. The long double-action trigger pull does NOT move the red spot off-target, much to my satisfaction.

I went with the 9mm because the autos are flatter and easier to hide than the revolvers; I've carried an S&W 642 snubby a lot, as well as other compact Nines, and the 9mms concealed easier. The extra rounds in the Nine are also a benefit.... eight beats five anytime.

This Ruger is only seventeen ounces and less than one inch thick. If it functions as well as my other Rugers, it will be a winner.

I've carried hidden guns for upwards of forty years, using many different types over that time. My opinions are just that....MY opinions. However, they are pretty firmly based on experience. If this Ruger works out as I hope, it will be the best gun for its purpose that I've ever owned. As I said...watch this space! I'll post a report on the range trip sometime tomorrow evening.

EDIT: Going back over the thread, I realized that I had ASSUMED (yeah, I know) that you were considering concealed-carry guns. My apologies!

For field use, a .357 revolver is a wonderful device and I love them dearly. The M15 mentioned is a great .38, but I would go just a tad further and buy a Model 19... essentially the same revolver, but in .357 for a bit more flexibility.

Enjoy your choice!

I'd be interested in your results with the LC9, I too am a lefty and IIRC, the Ruger only has a right hand safety. I be interested how you deal with that. Or, if there is enough pull weight on the trigger to just not engage the safety when using as a concealed carry piece.

I went with the Beretta Nano, since it has no levers to manipulate. The Nano weighs @ 20 ounces unloaded. Add 7 rounds of ammo and a magazine, the weight is becoming an issue, for me. As a result, I am carrying my S&W 642 more and more.

I'm satisfied with the Nano, except for the weight. Always looking to shave a few more ounces. I looked into the Kel-tec PF-9 but wasn't enamored with it.

Winelover

FergusonTO35
04-03-2014, 09:21 AM
What kind of budget are we talking about here? For my budget, meaning no more than about $450.00 per gun I would go with a Ruger SR9 and a nice used S&W 64. The old Ruger Security Six, Service Six, and Speed Six are excellent revolvers but all are at least 25 years old and going up in price. For a 9mm that works great as a carry gun and range gun the Kahr CW9 is a great choice and goes for around $360.00 new. They shoot boolits great too!!

Beerd
04-03-2014, 01:14 PM
^^^Beerd - you're obviously not a gun loony... I've actually got everything I need for loading .38 Spec except the gun - molds, powders, primers, brass. I have 80% of what I need. The gun is only 20% of the equation. :)

That's exactly how I got into my Browning HP clone. Being a packrat I'm always picking up odd brass at the shooting range. After a while I noticed that a lot of the brass in my scrap brass bucket was various headstamps of 9mm. So I thought "heck, why not?".
It's a slippery slope. :wink:

Back to your original post, a Ruger Blackhawk would be pretty nice. Maybe get one with the extra 9mm cylinder.

freebullet
04-03-2014, 02:33 PM
Imo you clearly need a 357 & a 9mm, clearly. Did someone mention a slippery slope? I don't even remember the fall.

shooter2
04-03-2014, 04:43 PM
I'm with Gianni on this. Spend a little more and find a nice S & W 38 special and you can shoot anything from mild wad cutters to + P loads. The good ones are more accurate than you are likely to be and the brass is not laying all over the place. Look for an early K series. JMHO!

bedbugbilly
04-03-2014, 09:02 PM
I load for both 9mm and 38s - I have one 9mm - a Ruger SR9 and I love it - my sometimes CCW.

I'm partial to 38s though and especially "vintage" ones. I find that the one I'm currently shooting the most right now is my S & W M & P (1952 DOB) with a 5" barrel. If you are looking for a more vintage wheel gun - I'd suggest a Smith 4" M & P (commonly called a Pre-10) or a Model 10 - they are nice shooters, reliable and accurate. If you want something with adjustable sights - then a 4" Combat Masterpiece/Model 15. I have one that is a Pre-15 Combat Masterpiece (DOB 1956) and it too is accurate and reliable - a real pleasure to shoot. As far as "carry" a Smith in a 4" is "doable".

I usually carry a Smith Model 36 snub - my favorite carry but as far as I'm concerned, it's a "carry piece" J frame - I wouldn't want to be putting 200 to 300 rounds through it at the range - for that, I much prefer a K frame M & P (or Model 10) or a Combat Masterpiece/Model 15.

So many guns. . . so many choices. You just have to figure out what you like and feels good to you . . .

.5mv^2
04-04-2014, 09:35 AM
Consider a Blackhawk 357 convertible. You can shoot 38/357 and 9mm!

Changeling
04-04-2014, 02:54 PM
Ruger GP 100 SS revolver will handle 357 Mag and 38's, about the strongest revolver you can get with the best longevity record going. Very accurate. Will handle any amo/bullet, not finicky like semi autos on the kind of bullets used.

I am currently looking for one myself.

gwpercle
04-04-2014, 05:25 PM
For concealed carry- S&W, J frame, airweight, 38special

For shooting / belt holster - S&W, K frame, 38 special.
One gun will not be the best, or even a good fit, for the two opposite extremes. I've tried and what works for one application doesn't work for the other. You gonna need two guns.
I like revolvers and the 38 special. Loading is easy, plenty of choices in both boolits and powder and revolvers will fire any power level ammo . Don't have to worry about failure to feed, failure to eject or if the magazine will work today. This is from over 40 years of shooting, reloading and using handguns. I've tried a lot of them.
Gary

shooting on a shoestring
04-05-2014, 09:54 AM
Selmerfan, the hallmark of older S&W revolvers is the super crisp, no creep, single action triggers. I just bought a newish (1990s I think) pre-lock, but has MIM parts S&W 64-6 in four inch. Its the worst SA trigger S&W I've owned, and it has no creep, very useable, just doesn't have that super crisp delightful break my older (1970s and back) S&Ws have. It may be the difference between friction of the MIM parts vs the older case hardened steel hammer and trigger sear. It may also get better with a few miles on it. My older Smiths are well used.

BTW I bought the 64-6 for $350 at a Cabelas. Its headed for truck duty after a few more range sessions.

I find that 38 revolvers are usually less expensive than 357s. I have and shoot lots of each. If you don't particularly get a hoot out of the blast of the 357, the 38 with wadcutters at about 1000 fps will do all you need in a defensive arm. Slow them down to 750 and be amazed at how good of a pistol shot you are!

I don't own any semi automatics b/c I don't want my brass in the dirt. I'm old enough to appreciate collecting my handful of fired rounds directly out of the cylinder, deposited nicely in my palm. Loading a swingout cylinder is simply a matter of point the barrel down and drop them in the cylinder. I don't like loading magazines and constantly fighting against the spring. The so-called magazine speed loaders are not speedy, still have to fight against the spring tension and are another piece of gear to drop, lose, forget. Revolvers are just unencumbered pleasure to shoot.

Enjoy your first one. There will be more.

selmerfan
04-05-2014, 09:59 AM
I handled a 686 and GP100 yesterday. Both feel good, GP had better ergos, but only because of grip width . Both had excellent SA triggers, but the 686 trigger was absolutely superb! Now I'm on the hunt to try out a few more in hand. I've had a .357 Max and shot a .357 Mag extensively. Hot and fast no longer interests me, gentle and precise holds my intrigue.

fecmech
04-05-2014, 11:28 AM
Hot and fast no longer interests me, gentle and precise holds my intrigue.

That is where I've been for the past few years. I have about 400 rds of .357 loaded (358429@1250 fps) that I rarely shoot anymore. My primary loadings are Lee 120 tc@ 1000 fps and the Lee 158 TLSWC @ 900 fps and I shoot thousands of those out of a Model 14 S&W. The TC is sub 2"@50 yds and the SWC is right at 2"@50yds. They are pleasant to shoot, not excessive with muzzle blast and move the steel around enough to satisfy me. Pretty soon we'll start our silhouette league and I will be a happy camper!

mr-mom
04-05-2014, 01:30 PM
You can hardly go wrong with a S&W 686. I have all sorts of Smiths from .22 thru .45 , but my favorite shooters are a 686 4" and a Model 624 .44 Special 4". The 686 is a powder puff shooting .38 Special wad cutters, and extremely accurate one hole groups at 25 yds.
Dave

Handloader109
04-05-2014, 11:48 PM
I'll throw one more on the grill for you. Walther PPQ. I've a Glock 17 that is ok, but the Walther handles great, Fine grip, sights way better and easier than the Glock to me and shoots well. I'm not nearly a great shot, but way more accurate with the Walther than the Glock.

MtGun44
04-07-2014, 01:03 AM
"Hot and fast no longer interests me, gentle and precise holds my intrigue. "

Find a nice Model 14 6" and never look back. They just get better with age, too.

Everything you liked in the 686, but smoother trigger (probably, from use)
and the same superb sights, ergonomics and with a load of an H&G 50 over
about 2.8 BE, they will really group.

I picked up one a few years back and then had a great opportunity to get a
matching one for a very low price - due to cosmetic issue (some PD idiot electric
penciled some inventory number on the side plate!!!) but it does not affect
the shooting of it.

Bill

BruceB
04-07-2014, 01:33 AM
For those who may not know, the "Model 14" to which Bill refers is another, newer name for the famous "K-38" (Target Masterpiece) which are identifiers dropped by S&W when they converted from names to model numbers back in the '50s (I think).

By ANY title, they are truly superb revolvers!

Just a few days back, I saw a 1949 K-38 for sale here in Reno, in VERY nice condition. The only wear it showed was a touch of thinning blue on the sides of the muzzle. Price was about $400 ASKING.... probably subject to a bit of haggling.

A better .38 for a neophyte (OR EXPERT) handgunner simply can't be imagined. Even *I* was tempted, and I'm about as far from a "neophyte" as I can visualize....

shooter2
04-07-2014, 11:14 AM
BruceB said: "Just a few days back, I saw a 1949 K-38 for sale here in Reno, in VERY nice condition. The only wear it showed was a touch of thinning blue on the sides of the muzzle. Price was about $400 ASKING.... probably subject to a bit of haggling."

That would be a good deal and would have followed me home. I am a softie when it comes to the S&W K models. While we're at it, do not forget the Colt Officers Model Match. I have one in .22 LR and one in .38 SP and they are very nice indeed.

MtGun44
04-08-2014, 01:16 AM
I bought a pair at $300 each, nearly mint inside, PD electopenciled rack number on the
sideplates and a bit of normal bluing wear . . . . . . ICK. But they shoot just fine.

Bill

dubber123
04-08-2014, 06:44 AM
One just sold on here yesterday, Model 14 in excellent condition. $395 shipped..

captaint
04-08-2014, 06:33 PM
If I could find even a "nice" model 14 for under 400 bux, I'd be taking it home. And I already have 3. Hell, If I found two, I'd buy them both !! Guaranteed... Mike

dubber123
04-08-2014, 06:54 PM
If I could find even a "nice" model 14 for under 400 bux, I'd be taking it home. And I already have 3. Hell, If I found two, I'd buy them both !! Guaranteed... Mike

I bought a 5 screw Pre-model 14, made in 1952, with blue wear but excellent otherwise for $360 from Gunbroker about a month ago. They still pop up from time to time.

robertbank
04-09-2014, 11:22 AM
For what you describe I would not stray to far from a GP-100 (the one I have has a very smooth trigger), and a CZ 75B. The Ruger will likrly require some cylinder throat work as most come with overly tight cylinder throats. Not a big deal but there. The CZ 75B series of pistols are in my opinion far and away the best all round steel pistols ever made. You should still be able to find base models for under $500. If ou can find a good one used go for it. I sold an older 75 gun with at least 50K rounds through it and it was as tight as the day it left the factory. If you are into target shooting the K 38 Smith is hard to beat in 38spl.

The 'smiths are excellent revolvers. New 686's will set you back more than the Ruger GP-100 and not get you more in value.

For 9 MM no discussion can go on without mentioning the Glock and M&P names. Both are excellent durable guns in 9 MM. I doubt either would out shoot a CZ 75B off a rest but are you going to spend all your time shooting off a rest? For plinking to self defense both pistols work just fine. Personally I prefer and own the 'smiths. The M&P's have all the quality features of the Glocks with far better ergonomics in my opinion.

Take Care

Bob

selmerfan
04-10-2014, 07:30 AM
Update - a member here has generously offered his pre-Model 14 K38 Masterpiece for sale at a reasonable price. Pending pictures I'll likely be taking him up on his offer.

Zim
04-10-2014, 07:45 AM
Excellent choice!
Mushy trigger alone would steer you away from some autos. Single action capable revolvers are a pleasure. Surprised no one brought up 1911 9mm. Good triggers.
You will enjoy the smith.

9.3X62AL
04-10-2014, 01:02 PM
That K-38 would be a SUPERB choice! If at some point you elect to get a wrist-wrencher in 357, the Ruger Blackhawk can always be had. The K-38s are just so bloomin' PERFECT.......

You are likely saving yourself some aggravation by opting for the 38 Special or 357 Magnum revolver when it comes to lead bullet-friendliness. 9mm pistols aren't always user-friendly for bullet casters; it isn't a beginner caliber at all. The 38 Special has probably launched more reloading hobby careers than all other chamberings combined. I see tons of fun right around the corner!

selmerfan
04-10-2014, 01:07 PM
I've played with a NMBH .357 Mag - good shootin' iron, but doesn't quite have the finish and polish of the S&W's that I've handled, and the one I'm looking at should be very nice.

MtGun44
04-11-2014, 01:22 AM
You will not be disappointed.

Bill

ackleyman
04-15-2014, 01:25 PM
If you are even slightly interested in a carry gun, then get a M&P pro in 9 or a Springfield XDM in 9mm, or Sig 226. These guns will rival a model 15 S&W(I know) in accuracy at 10 & 25 yards with tuned hand loads.

This kind of thread always ends up in an argument between revolver guys and auto guys, I have both. I have model 14's'15's, 686's, and a GP100 6" that is simply unreal. As soon as you mentioned self defense, you should seriously consider the fact that bad guys travel in bunches, and you can fire 6 shots in 4 seconds when you are scared. For example, the Springfield XDM has 19 round magazines. There are Competition models of the XDM Match and the M&P Pro that have long barrels, match barrel, match trigger, adjustable sights, and fiber optic front sights.

My brother in law was a LAPD detective, carried a J frame all the time. He told me that the J frame was the hardest gun to teach someone to shoot accurately.

If you have the opportunity, you should travel to an indoor range that rents pistols, try some and see which one fits your hand and which one you can accurately shoot.

Good luck

huntnman
04-15-2014, 04:08 PM
The indoor range/rental is a great way to test you're compatibility, with a prospective, new investment.

9.3X62AL
04-15-2014, 07:27 PM
Ackleyman made some good points in his post. I really harbor no prejudice one way or the other regarding the revolver vs. autopistol question--I shoot both quite a bit, I have carried both for a very long time as a law officer (one county east of A-man's BIL) and now for 9 years as a citizen CCW/retired LEO. It boils down to what works best for the shooter in question, and Ackleyman's suggestion to rent a number of makes & models is a very good one. His BIL is correct--those J-frame 38s are a PITA to hit with, and chambering them to 357 Magnum aggravates that problem. I'm seeming to emphasize defensive carry here, and that may not even be the OP's thrust--his take may be entirely or primarily recreational. FWIW, my monthly "round count" among the centerfire revolvers and autopistols is about the same.....150 to 250 of each type among the several calibers. The SIG P-220/45 ACP goes to town with me; the S&W 686 x 4" goes along in the back-country, often with a rifle behind the seat.

WRideout
04-16-2014, 06:57 AM
So...does accuracy degrade if I shoot .38 Special in a .357 Mag revolver? I know it can be and is regularly done, but I don't need a .357 Magnum either - though it would be fun to have on hand for deer hunting in my situation as well.

I shoot 38 WC all the time in my Mod 19 Smith, and don't see any problems with it. The Mod 19 is the lighter frame, so I don't make it a habit to shoot full-house .357 in it all the time, but once in a while, it doesn't seem to hurt.

People who reload generally like revolvers, because you can always find your brass. Also, semi-autos can be finicky about details, like degree of crimp. I know a lot of people reload huge quantities of 9mm and 45 acp, but when I shoot my 7.62 Tok, the brass flies into the next county; I generally lose a few at every range session. Just my 2 cents.

Wayne

Petrol & Powder
04-16-2014, 08:01 AM
WOW- lots of input !!
9mm and 38 Special are my two favorite handgun cartridges and by far the ones I shoot/reload the most.
I'll confess that I didn't read all of the posts in this thread but I want to address the OP. The 9mm and 38 Special cartridges have been around about the same length of time with a slight edge to the 38. They are both excellent cartridges with great histories. The are both fun and useful cartridges and I would have a difficult time picking one over the other. I'm sure if the OP gets one he will add the other to his collection in short order, so I guess what we're really talking about is which one to get first :-)
There are excellent choices available in both platforms and I would recommend buying what you want and NOT what someone wants to sell you. Decide first, look second, buy last!

Petrol & Powder
04-16-2014, 11:51 PM
"Hot and fast no longer interests me, gentle and precise holds my intrigue. "

Find a nice Model 14 6" and never look back. They just get better with age, too.

/\ YES !!

There are people that just want the biggest, fastest, badest rig they can get their hands on and the market is happy to fill those desires. I appreciate extremely good engineering more than just extreme engineering.

catboat
04-18-2014, 10:46 PM
It's a whole lot easier to get empty brass out of a 38 special revolver cylinder, than looking for spewed semi-auto brass of any caliber.

Get a 4" barreled revolver (S&W K/L frame or Ruger gp100). 357 mag chambering just gives you more flexibility (and more options in available revolvers), but 38 special if great.

I have 38 special/357 mag chambered 6" barreled K, L (and had N frame/model28) Smiths, and love(d) all of them. I have a Ruger gp100 4". After a bit of throat work, it turned into a nice shooter too.

I'm just not a fan of a 9mm semi auto. Not trying to pick a fight-just stating my bias, so you can ignore it and use up your 30 lbs of 9mm brass, and not feel guilty.

selmerfan
04-18-2014, 10:48 PM
So...an update. I sold the 9mm brass for $110 and sent out payment yesterday for a 1948 K38 Masterpiece, 6" barrel, Patridge front, thin barrel, thin rib. Hope to have it in hand late next week.

catboat
04-18-2014, 10:57 PM
So...an update. I sold the 9mm brass for $110 and sent out payment yesterday for a 1948 K38 Masterpiece, 6" barrel, Patridge front, thin barrel, thin rib. Hope to have it in hand late next week.

GREAT choice. You will have more fun shooting that K38/model 14 than almost anything else made. Remington 148 grain HBWC "gummy bullet" over 2.5-2.7 grains of Bullseye will work. Or, cast a 148 Lee tumble lube wadcutter (don't even need to size it-just tumble lube it) wadcutter over 3.25-3.5 grains of Bullseye, and let the fun begin. Should be about <1.0" groups at 25 yards.

Take it squirrel hunting. You'll love it.

HeavyMetal
04-18-2014, 11:13 PM
Mihec's HBWC is a perfect match for that Model 14, bought mine for a Model 52 but the principles the same.

Buy Federal match brass if you can find it, no nickel all brass, and life will be better.

being a 1948 vintage the Model 14 will have a great action, unless someone has "fixed" it, and single action should break about 2 lbs or so.

Post a pic when you get it in hand

histed
04-19-2014, 07:52 AM
Agree with catboat on the load - its a classic. In my Model 19 I also shoot 3.2 gns of bullseye under a 158 gn SWC with very good results. And, yes - post a pic so we can all drool.

lonewelder
04-19-2014, 06:30 PM
A 4" mod 13 would fit the bill.a 3" k frame would work better if you can find one.or a 2" 19.if you want to chase brass then a 9 would work,there are many.if you are gonna shoot a lot I would go for a brownig hp or cz 75.a cheaper way would be a star bm,come to think of it a star bm might be just perfect.you should really try one before you decide.

MtGun44
04-19-2014, 09:01 PM
Perfect choice, you will be pleased.

We would all enjoy some pix of groups and of course the revolver, too.

Bill

9.3X62AL
04-20-2014, 05:25 PM
A 1948-vintage K-38 Masterpiece is about as good as it gets. A "keeper", for darn sure. I have a Colt Officer's Model Target of similar vintage and same barrel length, and it dotes on Lyman #358429 atop 4.0 grains of WW-231. Not quite full-tilt 38 Special, but it is so tractable and accurate that I just run them as-is.

shooter2
04-21-2014, 08:55 AM
A number of years ago three members ran a test of .38 SP wadcutter loads. We all used the same light load of Bullseye in our guns. Mine was a K38. The best bullet was the Lee, Second was a H&G, and I have forgotten what the third was. I thought the test results were published in Castpics, but I cannot find it so it has disappeared along with my memory.

In any case, you will love the gun. Yeah, send us some pictures and give us your impressions.