PDA

View Full Version : 41Mag + 230grLFN + Longshot = Success!!

osteodoc08
04-02-2014, 11:20 AM
In my venture to find new powders that play well with my 41 Mag, I've come across Longshot. I really like it so far.

I loaded up some Longshot (9.5gr) with a 230gr LFN and ended up running an average velocity of 1060 and a SD of 19.7 over a 10 shot string. Lowest was 1037fps and highest was 1098fps. It was also giving me solid 3" groups at 25 yards sitting supported, not rested. This is out of a 6" Smith 57. I was able to cut out a solid ragged hole within a few cylinders worth. It was clean, no soot and a few swabs after shooting and shes ready to go again. I'm gonna do some more testing, but I may have found a new mid level load for me to play with. Gonna creep up a few tenths and keep evaluating. I'll pick up a few more pounds of Longshot as well.

Who else has experience shooting Longshot with cast boolits in revolvers? Any insights or things to watch for?

DeadWoodDan
04-02-2014, 09:11 PM
Doc,

Did you ever try that boolit in the 1894S? I have it and hope to develop a load I can shoot in both the lever and my BH.

DWD

osteodoc08
04-02-2014, 11:21 PM
Yes and when crimped at the very tippy top of the crimp groove I was GTG. Those boolits I sent you were the bees knees in that rifle. Cycled well and accuracy was outstanding. To be fair, I didn't have much a chance to do load development with the 230gr LFN, but is showing promise in my revolvers.