PDA

View Full Version : Concave base on 9mm range pickup

popper
04-02-2014, 12:18 AM
Got a lot of brass with concave head. Seen it before on some commercial reloads. What causes it?

sigep1764
04-02-2014, 12:36 AM
Are they Speer cases? I've read some on other forums that it happens a lot to that brand of case regardless of caliber. I personally have reloaded them knowing they were once fired. Reloaded them prolly 5 times since without a case failure. Only problem I've had with brass is S&B brass having small primer pockets and having to pull bullets and powder to reseat them. If you are in doubt, just toss them. Sounds like you're getting all the brass you can use anyway, right? No big deal to toss them into the recycle bucket.

freebullet
04-02-2014, 12:45 AM
I've found those too. Always figured they fired in an over pressure condition or in an oversized/out of spec chamber.

popper
04-02-2014, 10:03 AM
HS Ammoload 9mm luger, looks like once fired (sorry I was lazy & didn't want to dig through ~1000 cases to find them). Actually has a visible step inside the case, just not normal? I asked as I don't shoot 9 much but just did a peanut jug of reloads for my daughter. Don't want any problems for her, gee, get to inspect 500 rnds.

tomme boy
04-02-2014, 10:09 AM
They are fine. I load them just like all the others.

sigep1764
04-02-2014, 12:13 PM
I load them as well. On another forum, glocktalk I think, they cut one in half and there sure is a visible step. Looks like they tried to strengthen it somehow. They seem to load the same, no excessive pressure with my midrange loads of pub or bullseye.

popper
04-02-2014, 02:58 PM
Thanks, I'll try them. they do have a very impressive loading machine.