PDA

View Full Version : Reloading equipment on Craig's List

bear67
04-01-2014, 09:25 PM
I check Craigs List--sporting goods-- and sometimes find reloading equipment but today was strange. The first two listings with reloading tools had been flagged for removal by a user, but there was a listing from last night for a Lyman Press, scales and various accessories as well as a Hornaday vibrating tumbler. It plainly said reloading press and tools. I wonder about these busybodies who have to remove anything that even hints at "gun". It is not against the posted rules as I read them. The liberals on Craig's list are fruits and nuts for sure. There were even some listings for holsters that had been deleted. Texas may not have as many, but we do have fruits and nuts, amen.

I did call the poster and bought the equipment for less than listed and only 12 miles away. Some new reloader can get some decent equipment out of this.

CastingFool
04-01-2014, 09:37 PM
I check our local Craigslist at least once a week. I got some .224 j words, but other than that, there doesn't seem to be much available.

carbine86
04-01-2014, 09:40 PM
I search all of craigslist a few times each day thats how I ended up scoring a rock chucker a few weeks ago for $60 ..... SHIPPED!!!

SeabeeMan
04-01-2014, 09:56 PM
Other than some good hauls of lead, the only luck I've had on craiglist was an MEC 600 JR for $75. I drove 45 minutes to get it thinking that was the whole deal. When I got there it had over 1000 activ hulls, most once or twice fired and some new, 125lbs of 7 & 9 shot, a bag of steel shot, 2 ice cream pails full of #5, better than 5000 primers, several rubbermaid totes full of various wads, and a few pounds of Hodgdon Clays. Other than the powder, I'll probably never shoot up that score.

That being said, now I'm an addict and am always looking for the next good deal but have yet to find anything worth e-mailing about.

dbosman
04-02-2014, 03:41 PM
Craig's List rules were updated some months back to ban gun related items. That left some fanatics free to flag what ever they decided to. What I find fascinating is some of them are using automated tools to run searches - which is a violation of Craig's List rules. Hypocrites.

rondog
04-02-2014, 03:53 PM
When I was trying to sell brass I checked the local CL listings for brass sales, then made my ad to nearly copy the others, just so I'd be "legal" and avoid problems. My ad was flagged and removed in less than 24 hours. I'm positive it was one or more of the other brass sellers, eliminating me as competition, because their ads remained untouched.

Epd230
04-02-2014, 04:13 PM
I feel your pain Rondog. I had one of my adds removed and it had nothing to do with guns. I was trying to rent out an apartment. I, too, think it was flagged by competition.

freebullet
04-02-2014, 04:40 PM
Yep they play games on there. Makes getting a deal even more enjoyable.

carbine86
04-02-2014, 04:47 PM
I use a third party site to search all of craigslist for reloading items and its kind of funny that most of the flagging is going on in ny ca il and ct from what I have seen.

sidecarmike
04-02-2014, 05:06 PM
When I was trying to sell brass I checked the local CL listings for brass sales, then made my ad to nearly copy the others, just so I'd be "legal" and avoid problems. My ad was flagged and removed in less than 24 hours. I'm positive it was one or more of the other brass sellers, eliminating me as competition, because their ads remained untouched.

I agree. Every now and again we will see an ad for something that reminds us of something in the attic we could get rid of. In nearly every case, the ad gets flagged in a matter of minutes. The latest one was for a KitchenAid mixer, of all things.

Skunk1
04-02-2014, 06:08 PM
I no longer sell or even look much at craigslist. Get to many scams wanting to buy and most of the good stuff I once looked for gets deleted as fast as it gets posted.

winchester85
04-02-2014, 10:49 PM
i just picked up a like new in box hornady progressive with 2 shells plates, powder cop die, some spare parts for the press, 2 sets of dies, scale, new case trimmer, case prep tools, pound of powder, 1000 primers, reloading bench/ cabinet, 750 bullets, new lyman tumbler, tumbling media, and some other stuff for $700.

almost all of it was new.

Walter Laich
04-03-2014, 09:22 AM
Glad you were successful. My luck has all been bad on CL. Do check it now and then but only when I have a bit of free time

thekidd76
04-03-2014, 09:39 AM
think it was flagged by competition.

You guys are right on with this thought. I know for a fact that there are competitors in my area that also post want ads for lead that flag mine every time they see it.

Bob Busetti
04-03-2014, 03:07 PM
A model 1873 Winchester was listed on Denver's craigslist as non functioning rifle missing parts was protested by anti gunners 30 minutes after it was listed and with drawn. These people scream & holler when they think their rights are violated but could care less about your rights. Same kind of bulling from the gay/lesbian people. Just saying.
Bob
Bob

EddieNFL
04-03-2014, 04:17 PM
I though CL was a prostitution site.

Zim
04-03-2014, 07:20 PM
It is, but trys to be legit by selling some items.

Just sayin'

Scoutdog99
04-05-2014, 02:12 AM
Unfortunately, the prohibited list now includes reloading items.

- weapons; firearms/guns and components; BB/pellet, stun, and spear guns; etc
- ammunition, clips, cartridges, reloading materials, gunpowder, fireworks, explosives

http://www.craigslist.org/about/prohibited

shooterbob
04-05-2014, 02:19 AM
Another reason for flags, is that someone sees an item they want and get the contact info and then flag so no one else can see it or respond to it. Like the kitchenaide mixer, likely someone wanted that...sent an email and flagged. Pretty common tactic.

rondog
04-05-2014, 02:30 AM
Another reason for flags, is that someone sees an item they want and get the contact info and then flag so no one else can see it or respond to it. Like the kitchenaide mixer, likely someone wanted that...sent an email and flagged. Pretty common tactic.

Well now, THAT's real nice.....

pete501
04-05-2014, 09:45 PM
It takes at least 3 or more to flag an add. All one flagger needs is several IP addresses. I had listed some 44 cal lead bullets. Flagged quickly. I reworded the add "Elmer Kieth lead weights". It is not all liberals flagging. It got flagged which leads me to believe a gun show competitor was flagging. Also have put hand loading rather than reloading for those searching for the key words.

farmallcrew
04-06-2014, 11:17 AM
I haven't bought reloading stuff on craigslist. But i have bought a lot of other things. Yes scammers are an issue, but if you know how to back track a scammer, you can nail him/her in their track, but you have to be tech-ie. Actually as I type here i'm also cruising Craigslist, for mechanics tools.

Few tips for Craigslist
1. if you want the buyers to contact you on your phone, spell some numbers out. example: 5 eight 3-four 7 two- 9 nine 8 one. spam bots can't read letters as fast as just numbers
2. be prepared for lots of tire kickers, and welchers
3. don't put your exact address down on the "maps" portion, especially if your selling someting that is outside.

just a few tips. Yes craigslist is another big yard sale, but there are a lot of liberal people out there and also liberal croocks that was to scam you.

Kilroy08
04-09-2014, 06:21 PM
The dog woke me up at 3:00 am wanting to go out. After said business was done, I couldn't go back to sleep. So I decided to putz around on my tablet and see what was on craigslist. Somebody had a Dillon RL550 for sale for $100. Needless to say, I sent the guy an email asking him to call me.

Well, I meet the guy. He's got 3 boxes worth of stuff that go with with the press. A Dillon electronic scale, 2 beam scales, a powder trickler, 4 tool heads, 7 powder measures, 3 caliber conversions, 5 or 6 sets of dies, brand new primed brass and bullets galore, primers! Heck, I even got the Dillon zippered press cover so I can tuck my little press in and wish it a good night.

The press had some miles on it, but was well taken care of.

A rough tabulation after I got it all home and sorted through was at least $1600-1800 worth of stuff, probably more.

The wife asked why was it that cheap. I don't know and definitely did not care.

I think it's all luck of the draw as far as craigslist goes.

Ibgreen
04-09-2014, 06:40 PM
I answered a craigslist add for "reproduction civil war supplies". I ended up getting 400 lbs of lead, a lubrisizer with 3 dies, 125 smith carbine cartridges, a $400.00 .58 cal target barrel, cleaning supplies and patches to last a lifetime, cap and ball molds, lee lead pot, countless reloading tubes and targets............. All for $100.00. I was able to sell the smith tubes for $100.00.

km101
04-10-2014, 12:09 PM
I no longer sell or even look much at craigslist. Get to many scams wanting to buy and most of the good stuff I once looked for gets deleted as fast as it gets posted.

That has also been my experience! Since they changed the rules you cant post anything gun, ammo, or reloading related. The flaggers are having a field day. Not worth the trouble any more!

DougGuy
04-10-2014, 12:29 PM
I posted some powder for trade on there, and made a few local contacts that are good people, one guy has a huge reloading room above his 4 bay garage with probably 6 presses set up, outside there is a pistol range, 100yd rifle range, 250yd rifle range, plenty of acres to hunt behind his house, he's an older guy who just loved shooting and reloading, and was glad to have a friend who shares same interests to come shooting from time to time. Priceless!

Another guy had a post on there for a retreat like a re enactment area, like he was putting up his property to be rented for such, I ended up meeting him, ex special forces, ex us marshal, he teaches the local LEOs on his range, and certifies them as well as ccw applicants, I go out there and shoot often, took my ccw exam there and did the range part of the course, he even supplied the ammo. Again, priceless!

I posted some j words on there, you have to take out any word reference to guns, ammo, you can say it's a hello kitty toolkit and people who know what it is will pick up on it but the auto flaggers won't.