PDA

View Full Version : Well, going in on an XDm 5.25" 9mm.... what to expect?

nitrohuck
04-01-2014, 07:34 PM
Hey all,

So once funds arrive this week I will be purchasing my first competition pistol: a Springfield XDm 5.25" in 9mm

The purpose of this pistol is to finally get my foot in the door with 3 gun events as well as pistol matches held in the area.

This pistol will be shooting cast pretty much 100% of the time, that is all it is intended for at the moment.

Before I go in and drop $700 on a pistol that is intended to be fed nothing but cast boolits is there anything I should be aware of? Is the $500 XD 5" a better option price-wise?

What are your experiences with your XDm 5.25" with cb's?

My intention was to run mainly the LEE-120 TC mold with this pistol over a few different powders like Titegroup and American Select... Thanks a ton in advance for any answers!

~Nitro

Big Steve
04-01-2014, 10:29 PM
I got a 5" XD Tactical .45 specifically for all the cast bullets I shoot. I usually shoot a 1911 but I wanted a higher capacity 45 that could handle lead well. And handle it well it does! I have absolutely no complaints and although I would not trade it for an XDM I am sure the XDM's are just as satisfying. I do find that it does not like light loads or unsized bullets that I can get away with in my 1911. Although it does well with unsized Lee 230 gr RN tumble lube and a Lee 200 gr LRNFP.

popper
04-01-2014, 10:34 PM
SIL's XD 9 does fine, my XDm 40 is very good. I think many use heavier, ~140 for PF. Between the 2 of us we have 5 XD's, all shoot cast very well.

chumly2071
04-01-2014, 11:09 PM
When I bought my 5.25, it was basically for the fact that I couldn't buy the included upgrades over the 4.5" version for the additional cost of the 5.25 over the 4.5. Both of my brothers use their upgraded 4.5s for 3 gun, and one has north of 15k rounds through it with no hiccups. I don't have any experience yet with cast projectiles in it, but hope to soon.