PDA

View Full Version : Color coded 40 S&W brass?

HiVelocity
04-01-2014, 06:26 PM
I had a friend donate a box of miscellaneous once fired brass cases, rifle and pistol. I found these two in the bunch.

Both are nickled cases, the one on the left is a Winchester headstamp, the right is a Federal headstamp.

Both have been color coded somehow, not sure why. I thought I would ask you folks for your comments.

Thanks,

HV

Ubet
04-01-2014, 06:41 PM
Looks like someone's private color coding system. Could be to distinguish their brass when shooting on a common range with others. Could denote different bullets, powder charges or primers used. Could also be their own coding to track how many times the brass was loaded. Best guess is to ID their brass to identify it easily.

ReloaderFred
04-01-2014, 06:42 PM
Some shooters color code their brass so they know which ones belong to them when they start picking up empties. With .40, I don't see the need, since it's everywhere, just like weeds.........

Hope this helps.

Fred

johniv
04-01-2014, 06:52 PM
Years ago I tried to get the ammo co.s to color code ammo as too many 9's were going into 40's and 40's in 45's. Of course there was nothing in it for them so nada. Some where I saw a formula for turning brass red or green(I think it was Geo Nonte that wrote the article) I think I have the formula to make them black, but that dont help much. ps the guns getting trashed were push feeds, smaller round goes down the bbl and next round bulges same.
FWIW

HiVelocity
04-01-2014, 08:51 PM
Thanks for the comments gents.

Everyday is another education on this forum; if you dont learn something here every day, you're not reading enough..........lol!

HV

beex215
04-01-2014, 09:36 PM
ive color coated my brass several times. its usually a powder charge difference. i current have a red x on some 9mm. meaning dont take them.