PDA

View Full Version : CH4D dies: difference between #101 and #105 dies

Adam10mm
12-30-2007, 03:31 PM
What is the difference between the dies? One is $120 the other is $67. Was thinking of getting the #105.

floodgate
12-30-2007, 04:36 PM
freakshow:

I have a #105 set for the zinc-washer .38 SWC, and the same sets are also made to use half-jackets. The difference between the 105's and the 101's is that the former are a single die set that of necessity leaves a SWC shoulder, even for RN bullets. The more costly 101 sets have a second die that can reform the shoulder and point to an ogival shape without the step. I am looking at getting a #101 set in .30 cal, once C-H/4D tells me how long a jacket I can use (I inherited a bunch of jackets 1"+ long).

floodgate

creekwalker
12-30-2007, 11:26 PM
When Ch4D provides you with the information for the .30 cal in the #101 swaging dies would you share it with us floodgate? Freak, if you e-mail or call the folks at CH4D they'll get you the info quick, real nice folk's too. I'd pretty much concluded that the #101 swage die set up was the best bet for most of what I'll ever swage on my RC, price isn't all that bad either, compair it with some other makes and evil-bay prices.

Creekwalker

Adam10mm
12-31-2007, 02:09 AM
This is CH4D's response:

The #105 makes a half-jacket bullet. The #101 makes a 3/4 jacket bullet similar to the Hornaday & Winchester bullets.

creekwalker
12-31-2007, 10:04 AM
Many of the used swaging die's you encounter on evil-bay and such are the half jacket die's, the Herter's swage die I recently purchased is a good example of this. For my 38/357 shooting I'm content with this as I can either go the half jacket, zinc washer or a gas check on the base. Work's great but would'nt want to use a similiar swage die to make bullets for a Glock.
Other's have posted about the leading issued with half jacketed bullets as well as the reasoning behind the zinc washer, I consider this to be good information. Since I tend to be conservitive in my reloads as well as paying attention to bullet to bore sizing leading has'nt been an issue for me yet.

creekwalker

Adam10mm
01-01-2008, 12:58 AM
These are going to be for 10mm's for my business. Going to make some 110gr and 215gr 10mm 3/4 jacketed bullets. Have to do some R&D first before I offer them for sale. I think I'm going to go with the RN profile so I can make soft point bullets.

Finally got my RC mounted properly. Pissed around for three weeks but now have 3/8x6 inch bolts holding it down. I think I got it ok now.:)