PDA

View Full Version : New rotary wet tumbler..

JimA
04-01-2014, 12:05 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9rIyue6RC4

This one holds a lot more brass. Up to 1000 223 cases. Comes with the SS media. There is at least 1 other video on youtube showing it in action.

Bored1
04-01-2014, 09:37 PM
I wish I could afford one of those! But even if I could not sure I would buy one. Have too many motors laying around for when I eventually get around to making one.

The strainers are a nice idea, along with the rubber lining. Wonder if they will start selling just the container?

geargnasher
04-01-2014, 10:27 PM
That's a really nice setup. I just got my STM deluxe kit today (17-lb black tumbler drum and all the accessories) and it works wonderfully, (ran three batches at work, I came prepared when the brown truck showed up!) but I can already see the convenience of those screw-on caps, strainer inserts, and the included magnet in the FA model.

Gear

warf73
04-02-2014, 03:39 AM
That's a really nice setup. I just got my STM deluxe kit today (17-lb black tumbler drum and all the accessories) and it works wonderfully, (ran three batches at work, I came prepared when the brown truck showed up!) but I can already see the convenience of those screw-on caps, strainer inserts, and the included magnet in the FA model.

Gear

I seen the new black tumbler and was woundering about it, still on the fence about SS cleaning but I'm about to fall off.

freebullet
04-02-2014, 05:51 AM
Interesting, thanks for posting it. Not a ridiculous price with the pins included.

Love Life
04-02-2014, 11:46 AM
Real men tumble 1,000 308 cases at a time...

Walter Laich
04-02-2014, 03:47 PM
I got the STM black tumbler and love it. Learned quickly all the nuts need to be tightened but other than that does a great job.
Would do it again if given another chance

chsparkman
04-02-2014, 05:20 PM
I am intrigued by the caps on this tumbler. With Thumblers a lot of time is taken up just by removing and resealing the lid. This new design is a step in the right direction. I wonder how reliable the motor will be over time. Also, it would be nice if it were American made like Thumblers.

Hickory
04-02-2014, 05:29 PM
Another "I gotta have" item.

Pepe Ray
04-02-2014, 08:04 PM
getting mine from Optics Planet. They called today. Back ordered. Expect new stock & reship on the 7th.
Not bad IMO.
PepeRay

M-Tecs
04-02-2014, 08:44 PM
Nice setup.

geargnasher
04-02-2014, 09:06 PM
I would definitely consider the FA version if only wanting to tumble brass and not rocks or BP. The timer and extra capacity alone would be worth it, provided it holds up over time. The new knob-type nuts on the STM tumbler beat the pants off of the old Thumler wing nuts. STM has spare consumables, not sure about the Midway unit if it shucks a gear or the seals go bad.

Gear

geargnasher
04-02-2014, 09:09 PM
I seen the new black tumbler and was woundering about it, still on the fence about SS cleaning but I'm about to fall off.

If you need a poke, I can show you pictures of before and after, but trust me, the pics in their banner ad are the real deal. I've done citric-acid cleanings (used a media separator and bucket near full of solution for a tumbler) for a few years now, but nothing beats those pins for getting the insides clean. Plus, no media stuck in primer pockets.

Gear

Beau Cassidy
04-02-2014, 09:43 PM
I am usually standofish about Frankford Arsenal stuff but this one has my interest. $209.99 from Optics Planet. That really isn't too bad for a tumbler. If it didn't take up so much room I would just get the small cement tumbler from Harbor Freight..

M-Tecs
04-02-2014, 09:53 PM
Midway $199.99 http://www.midwayusa.com/product/713881/frankford-arsenal-platinum-series-rotary-case-tumbler

I really like the design of the drum but this one will last longer http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com/products/tumblers/extreme-tumblers-rebel-17.html

L1A1Rocker
04-02-2014, 11:09 PM

Gear

Say Gear ol buddy, ol pal. . . I gots about 3K of 308 brass laying around. Just kidding. Congrats on the new toy!

geargnasher
04-02-2014, 11:25 PM
Say Gear ol buddy, ol pal. . . I gots about 3K of 308 brass laying around. Just kidding. Congrats on the new toy!

DOOD! It's ON like Donky-Kong! Get that stuff deprimed and when I get through most of what I have now (I'm doing it at work so I can keep it going and do two-three batches a day) I'll run a few of yours.

Gear

glockky
04-02-2014, 11:46 PM
I would definitely consider the FA version if only wanting to tumble brass and not rocks or BP. The timer and extra capacity alone would be worth it, provided it holds up over time. The new knob-type nuts on the STM tumbler beat the pants off of the old Thumler wing nuts. STM has spare consumables, not sure about the Midway unit if it shucks a gear or the seals go bad.

Gear

I called midway today and asked them about a warranty on the new tumbler. I was told by their service representative that all frankfort arsenal products have a 1 year warranty.

geargnasher
04-02-2014, 11:52 PM
I usually don't think in terms of warranty if it works to start out with, what concerns me is life five or ten years from now. The STM tumbler is dirt simple, can be repaired or modified to work with commonly available parts, and OEM spares are cheap and available. I DO like how much easier it appears the use of the FA tumbler is, though, it's a much more convenient design.

Gear

L1A1Rocker
04-03-2014, 12:16 AM
DOOD! It's ON like Donky-Kong! Get that stuff deprimed and when I get through most of what I have now (I'm doing it at work so I can keep it going and do two-three batches a day) I'll run a few of yours.

Gear

LOL, I really was joking bout the 308, buuuuutttt. . . On second thought though; I once had the idea that it'd be cool to paint up some of my 300blk brass with liver of sulfur. Well, it didn't go so well. I'm assuming that the color didn't take because of the polishing "stuff" on the case from the tumbling process (I toss in a bit of polishing compound). I always thought a good cleaning with soap and water and the color would take. Anyhow, I never took up the project again and it occurred to me that a trip though your new wet tumbler would give the blk brass the proper cleaning it needs. If you're game, I'd like to throw some blk brass in and see how it goes.

If it works out, I may have to look into some lime green powder coating of some bullets. :)

runfiverun
04-03-2014, 01:14 AM
it makes the brass look like new...
sportsmans warehouse is carrying these FA tumblers in their stores if anyone cares to go look at the box [or maybe a display is set up]

I went the stm route myself I can replace the motor with one from the home depot if necessary.
the harbor freight thing just looked like more trouble than it was worth, heck my old sears rock polisher is in better shape than a new HF one.
this looks to be right behind the stm one if the electronics hold out.

a.squibload
04-03-2014, 03:51 AM
Re: F.A.R.T. video -
(I can't be the only one who noticed that!)

It spins pretty fast.
Wonder what's in the brass cleaner he put in?
Looks nice but my '50s rock tumbler is still running.
It's not as big but it was FREE!

detox
04-05-2014, 04:36 PM
My old RCBS Sidewinder works perfect for media tumbling and it is very easy to use. IMO the Frankford is one ugly piece of equipment

geargnasher
04-05-2014, 04:49 PM
Detox, do you (or is it feasable) use the RCBS tumbler with SS media and liquid solutions?

Gear

detox
04-05-2014, 04:54 PM
"I do" use it with stainless pin media, hot water, lemi shine and dawn for cleaning brass cases. Also have a 2nd drum filled with dry corncob media to dry and polish. This is probably the best tumbler (allthough expensive) for my needs. The RCBS Green matches well with my other RCBS equipment and takes up less space than other tumblers.

It was designed as a wet tumbler to use with RCBS case cleaning additive, but the stainless pins do a better job of cleaning.

I use a fish fry strainer basket to seperate media from brass.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
04-06-2014, 06:49 AM
Like most things frankford arsenal has, a cheap chinese made rip off. The STM model is made much better and only costs a tiny bit more. My vote, having owned a bunch of frankford arsenal stuff years ago, is to go STM. But sick and dang tired of chinese stuff and am starting to avoid buying it.

Roosters
04-06-2014, 07:27 AM
Detox don’t know how long you have had yours but the Sidewinder I have has been making brass shine since the late 70s. :D Only thing ever been done to it is a little oil on the bushings.

Bonz
04-06-2014, 07:55 AM
I bought the 40# tumbler from STM. Pro's - cleans up to 15# of brass at one time, and a lifetime warranty. Con's - The drum full of water, brass, SS pins, is heavy. I started out my SS pin cleaning adventure with the Thumbler B. To me, absolute waste of time only cleaning only up to 2# of brass at a time. When I reload, I reload 1000 bullets at a time so the 15# of clean brass makes the most sense to me. What "capacity" to buy really depends on how you reload.

detox
04-06-2014, 10:47 AM
Detox don’t know how long you have had yours but the Sidewinder I have has been making brass shine since the late 70s. :D Only thing ever been done to it is a little oil on the bushings.

I purchased my Sidewinder new back in 1996 to apply Moly coating to jacketed bullets per NECO's instructions. Moly craze has faded, so now i clean cases in it.

I have cleaned 100 pieces of 308 brass using 5 lbs of Stainless pin media. I have no need to clean upwards of 1000 pieces.

geargnasher
04-06-2014, 12:28 PM
Like most things frankford arsenal has, a cheap chinese made rip off. The STM model is made much better and only costs a tiny bit more. My vote, having owned a bunch of frankford arsenal stuff years ago, is to go STM. But sick and dang tired of chinese stuff and am starting to avoid buying it.

Hate to break it to you, Amigo, but the STM Extreme 17lb is the definition of Chinese-made. China stickers all over it. Very cheaply made. Lots of plastic and very flimsy sheet metal, but it works fine. The drum is pretty solid. If you want made-in-the-USA you'll have to engineer it yourself......out of mostly Chinese parts.

Gear

Bayou52
04-06-2014, 01:46 PM
Hate to break it to you, Amigo, but the STM Extreme 17lb is the definition of Chinese-made. China stickers all over it. Very cheaply made. Lots of plastic and very flimsy sheet metal, but it works fine. The drum is pretty solid. If you want made-in-the-USA you'll have to engineer it yourself......out of mostly Chinese parts.

Gear

Is the Thumler's tumbler model B made in China, too?

Ickisrulz
04-06-2014, 03:23 PM
Is the Thumler's tumbler model B made in China, too?

Thumlers are made in the USA. I'm not sure where they get their motors and other parts.

Bayou52
04-06-2014, 03:47 PM
Thumlers are made in the USA. I'm not sure where they get their motors and other parts.

Glad to hear that.....