PDA

View Full Version : 64-6 Round Butt needs small wood grips....ideas?

shooting on a shoestring
03-31-2014, 10:40 PM
Well this unloved 4 inch 64-6 rode home with me after a short visit to a local gun counter. Dirty, dry, wearing some rust under the Uncle Mike's grips. Much to my delight, turned out to be a round butt hiding under that rubber skirt. After giving it a detailed striping, some spring cleaning and an oil change its ready to go back to work. My imagination sees a small set of wood grips on that cute little round butt to capitalize on its carrying potential. I have some square butted K-frames wearing wood and some wearing rubber should I perfer a larger, or squishier feeling K-frame. So, question is, where am I apt to find them? Pull offs would be great. I prefer no finger grooves. Any input?

Mk42gunner
03-31-2014, 11:26 PM
I'm not that enamored about round butt K-frames for shooting, but for carry they work very well. My preferred grip is the stock style that come up to the hump on the backstrap with a Tyler grip adapter for both round and square butt guns; but you don't want finger grooves so that leaves that choice out.

The only thing I can say is to hunt around some of the gun shows; there is usually someone selling orphaned grips.

Robert

Green Frog
04-01-2014, 11:09 AM
At a recent gun show I picked up a pair of what I believe may be Herrett™ "Trooper" grips for a RB K-frame... the first I remember seeing for a while. They barely cover the grip frame, have a modest amount of checkering and just a hint of a thumb rest (ambidextrous) that also serves to guide the trigger finger into place. Since I was going minimalist on my 10-7 snub, I decided to continue with the factory "banana" grips I put on it years ago, but I would still like to find a pair of the old factory smooth combats with finger grooves. Unfortunately the @*%# collectors are snapping them up at ridiculous prices! :-x I let my last pair of those go on a 3" Model 64 a few years ago. :(

Froggie

Lefty Red
04-01-2014, 06:50 PM
Eagle Grips or Allamount.

shooting on a shoestring
04-01-2014, 10:58 PM
Thanks guys.
Lefty Red....wow! Now thats a couple of nice furniture stores! Thats what I was hoping for. Looks like I'm going to need some fancy panels for a Blackhawk too.

Lefty Red
04-02-2014, 04:35 PM
I got a set of Secret Service grips for my 642! Nice stocks!

ReloaderFred
04-02-2014, 04:41 PM
Altamont grips are my choice. Excellent quality and you can't beat the price. Here's the link to the S&W page: http://www.altamontco.com/experimental/products/pistol/smith_and_wesson/#Smith_and_Wesson_kframe.php

I've got about a dozen pairs of their grips on Blackhawks, and they can't be beat in my book.

Hope this helps.

Fred

flydoc
04-03-2014, 09:24 PM
Got a pair of the original hard black grips if that is a consideration.