PDA

View Full Version : First time out with the Rossi M92

armednfree
03-31-2014, 06:41 PM
First time out, it shot ok. The third time I loaded the magazine it stopped feeding. The follower is sticking. I sent an inquiry on the stainless ones, plastic never was worth jack. Point it up in the aitrf and it feeds, then you hear the follower click when you slightly tap the side.

pirkfan
03-31-2014, 10:04 PM
Stainless follower definitely helps, but you might just need to take the carrier and spring out and give them and the tube a good cleaning to get you by until it arrives. If you order the carrier, might want to get a stainless spring at the same time. I installed both from this guy....http://www.thesmithshop.com. The spring and carrier made loading my .357 easier (cartridges just go in more smoothly with less thumb pressure)

phonejack
04-01-2014, 07:22 AM
If you haven't detail stripped the whole rifle , you need to do that. Clean, deburr and smooth everything. There are utube videos that show how to do this. This a MUST.

Pb2au
04-01-2014, 07:27 AM
Take the rifle down and completely clean the magazine tube. You will be very surprised at the amount of oil/grease that is in there from the factory. I used a cleaning rod from one of my muzzleloaders, works great.
While you are at it, remove the butt stock and hose out the action with your favorite spray cleaner. Cycle it a dozen times or so, then spray it out again. Repeat and rinse till the spray flushes clear.
Don't forget to lube the action up when you are done! I like Rem-oil, but use what you like. I tend to avoid grease.
Take a piece of fine emery cloth and dress up the plastic follower in the meantime.
Reassemble and go shoot.
What is your Rossi chambered in?

Ragnarok
04-01-2014, 08:29 AM
First time out, it shot ok. The third time I loaded the magazine it stopped feeding. The follower is sticking. I sent an inquiry on the stainless ones, plastic never was worth jack. Point it up in the aitrf and it feeds, then you hear the follower click when you slightly tap the side.

Doesn't have a dent in the tube does it?

armednfree
04-01-2014, 10:13 AM
No dent in the tube. I ordered the stainless follower so when it comes in I will detail strip the gun and clean it good. I normally use brake cleaner for that, small parts I put in a bowl of denatured alcohol and scrub with a cleaning brush.

HiVelocity
04-01-2014, 09:34 PM
Just my .02 worth, and this may sound ridiculous........

Disassemble the mag tube, swab with Johnsons Paste Wax, let it dry over night, buff vigorously with a clean dry patch. I have been told that by "treating" the mag tube that
the wax permeates(sp?) into the metal and leaves a slick coating on the inner tube surface.
It appears to work well on my Marlin 357.

HV

armednfree
04-03-2014, 12:23 PM
I'll do that once the follower comes in, detail the entire gun.

armednfree
04-04-2014, 12:27 PM
Followers are in from The Smith Shop. Well machined little things. Now to detail the rifle and wax the mag tube. I decided I hate that crescent butt plate. I'm looking at Boyds Stocks, walnut with a flat plate. That way if it still feels too short for me I can add a butt pad.

I shot it with some store bought cast 255 grain boolits and 9 grains of unique. I also used some old Speer swaged 255 grain Semi Wadcutters with Trail Boss. They are both .452 diameter, but zero leading.

Also I made two dummy rounds with the Lee 310 grain GC boolit. They function fine crimped in the rear groove. They tend to cast at about .4525 so I'm going to use a .454 sizer just to seat the GC.

I spoke to one guy who bought an M92 last year marked 45 colt. It must be a fluke, he says it will chamber 454 with no problem. I don't know, somebody mixed in the wrong barrel or marked the gun incorrectly. I don't know if the action of the 454 is exactly the same as the 45 colt, might be heat treated to different specs. He says it shoots 45 colt real well, that is all he should use. He never fired a 454 out of it.

Pb2au
04-04-2014, 01:41 PM
There are some spirited debates on the metallurgy/heat treatment of the 454 cassull receivers verses the "normal" ones. I don't really have a dog in the fight, but my guts tell me that they are the same receiver.
As for chambering a 454 Casull in a 45 colt chamber, that is pretty funky. The 45 colt case is about 0.098" than its big cousin. No clue there.
I have tested the Lee 310 in my Rossi and it is a stout character. With a zesty dose of 2400 powder, you wont be under gunned in a dinosaur fight. And it was pretty accurate to boot.
Give some thought to acquiring some 2400. It is a solid performer with the 45 colt. It doesn't have to be Herculean loads either. I switched from Unique to 2400 and have been a pretty happy camper. But, find your own path!
Good luck

Dan Cash
04-04-2014, 01:45 PM
If you replace your butt stock, I would be interested in buying it.

armednfree
04-05-2014, 12:36 PM
I may have some 2400 laying around, not much if I do. I was going to use the same load with these 310 grain bullets that I use in my Blackhawk. 22 grains H110 crimped in the rear groove.

I killed three does with that load. The first was a 55 yard shot that clipped the back of her heart, three hops and she was done. Unfortunately the third hop took her over the edge of a ravine and she slid to the bottom. As I gutted her a second good size doe came to the top of that ravine, at an up angle of 45-50 degrees. I shot her in the base of the neck and that bullet went straight through and cut her spine. Unfortunately she slipped over the edge and slid down to the bottom. Now I had two good size deer at the bottom of a steep ravine. My hunting buddies still chide me for that.

The third was a quartering away shot at about 55 yards. That bullet went through the back of the onside lung, through the off side lung and out behind the leg. She went 20 yards or so, again headed for the edge of that same ravine, but didn't make it.

No bullets were recovered.

My buddies don't want me to hunt the edge of that ravine. But there is a point of a pine stand there and the deer come out there, from government land on opening morning and go down into that ravine. I shot three nice bucks from right there on opening morning. it is 2 miles back into the woods. Now we have an ATV with a winch, not a problem.

snaketail
04-05-2014, 03:32 PM
I haven't seen 2400 in the past two years - how about 4227? Any thoughts on that powder?

armednfree
04-05-2014, 11:13 PM
I have plenty of primers to last a while. I have plenty of powder that is suitable, even if I want to try something else. I don't need to ride this train of always searching for stuff. I got what I got and I'll make it do. At least I have enough to ride Obama out, what follows is anyone's guess.

Buckshot
04-06-2014, 12:51 AM
..............My Rossi (LSI Sports Puma) @ 6 years old now, in 45 Colt 24" octagon bbl had a bore-groove of .446" x .450". That's kind of tight for a 45 Colt but the chamber will accept a cartridge with a Lee 457-340F (sized .457") seated without a hiccup. With the old time 32" twist the 340gr Lee is a bit much for the twist, but shoots well (sized .452") in my old model Vaquero and a Miroku M92 with their 16" twists.

You should slug your barrel. If it is tight with shallow grooves as mine has, you 'll need to treat it like a Marlin with Micro-Gruv. That would be cast'em hard and siz'em as fat as will easily chamber.

...............Buckshot

Pb2au
04-06-2014, 07:46 AM
I haven't seen 2400 in the past two years - how about 4227? Any thoughts on that powder?
Also a pretty good powder. The burn rates are very close to one another.

huntrick64
04-06-2014, 09:09 AM
The "cat's meow" powder in my 24" Rossi M92 45 colt is HS-6. Compared to 2400, unique, H110, Power Pistol, and HP-38, HS-6 groups are half the size of the other powders at 65 yds.

armednfree
04-06-2014, 12:18 PM
The "cat's meow" powder in my 24" Rossi M92 45 colt is HS-6. Compared to 2400, unique, H110, Power Pistol, and HP-38, HS-6 groups are half the size of the other powders at 65 yds.

Talking different ball games with those powders. Power Pistol, and HP-38, HS-6, unique are OK for target loads but not really hunting loads. I have Unique, and Bluedot so that is the choice in that area because I ain't running around looking for powders. At this point if I don't see powder in quantity I'm not going to bother. 1 pound really doesn't get my interest because I'll burn it up and be back to searching.

I have H110, about 2-1/2 pounds. That is what's going behind these 310 grain boolits. Probably 22 grains, which is my Blackhawk load. Once I verify that load I'll make 200 or so and set them aside. I get a little freaky with hunting loads. Each boolit is rolled on a white piece of paper for inspection and sorted, the best, the flawless ones, go into hunting loads. All cases polished and pockets cleaned. Then I pack them in 20's and vacuum seal them. That will last longer than I will live.