PDA

View Full Version : Casting Thermometer?

davidheart
03-31-2014, 11:24 AM
I was wondering if anybody had a spare casting thermometer. I don't have the funds to purchase a bottom pour pot so I've been casting over a fire with an old kitchen pan and ladle. Knowing the temp would be incredible. Thank you!

Beagle333
03-31-2014, 11:40 AM
A lot of guys are using the Tel-Tru 200/1000 thermometer now, that is sold as a replacement thermometer for a Big Green Egg bbq smoker, but it apparently works great and is cheaper than a Lyman or Rotometals thermometer.
(I bought a Lyman and the thing is off by 50 degrees, but it's okay since I know that it is.)

kungfustyle
03-31-2014, 09:17 PM
I just tried this no answer...and broke down and bought one, but for casting stuff it is a cheap investment. http://www.kck.com/tel-tru_grill_smoker_thermometer.html
is the link. It was $28 shipped. Get the 5" 200-1000 one BBQ-TT-200-5-200/1000

RickinTN
03-31-2014, 10:01 PM
I have two "cheap" casting thermometers which I don't use, and there is a reason. I bought the first and after about 2 months the head became loose from the stem and I had to attempt to calibrate it each time I used it and hoped the head wouldn't rotate. I contacted the company and they sent me a replacement. When I would turn the first to agree with the second for calibration purposes at ambient temperature they disagreed about 50 degrees at about 700. I had enough of this and bought an RCBS thermometer. I don't know if the RCBS is accurate, but I do know it doesn't agree with either of the other two. I concluded that cheap thermometers are indeed cheap. I have heard and read good things about the tel-tru both in quality and price, and may buy one of those, but for now the RCBS will have to do.
Rick

davidheart
04-01-2014, 10:42 PM
Rick, is this the one your talking about? http://www.midwayusa.com/product/357906/rcbs-lead-bullet-casting-thermometer

I'm not really sure what the "tel-tru" is. I looked at tel-tru's website but couldn't figure out which would be used for lead.

Like I said in the first post I don't even have a proper ladle yet. I'm using an old soup ladle. :oops: I need to visit the local thrift shop to find a more compact pot for me to melt my lead in.

I'll have to make a short list, but I have a feeling it's just going to be a while until it all comes together. Thank you for your input and help.

RickinTN
04-01-2014, 11:04 PM
Yes, That is the RCBS thermometer I have. I understand it is made by Tel-tru. I think they are supposed to have a model on their site that is about $28 shipped (?) that several folks here have recommended.
I've bought most of my casting and smelting pots at a few thrift stores. I've had the best luck at Goodwill. I have electric pots also but enjoy casting on the Coleman stove as much as anything. Lead weighs about 23 some-odd pounds to the quart, so a 2-quart pot works pretty well for me. I think you'll find, as I have, that a taller/narrower pot is better than a wide/short one.
I use a Lyman ladle and would suggest it, or an RCBS, as money well spent.
It will take a while for it to come together but think of it as a journey and not a destination. You'll probably enjoy it more that way.
Take care,
Rick

PS Most of my casting and smelting pots are stainless. Be sure to stay away from aluminum.