PDA

View Full Version : mold for 224 caliber

BullRunBear
03-31-2014, 12:22 AM
Just got a couple of barrels for an original model Contender: 10 inch octagon barrels in 22 Hornet and 222 Rem (NOT the magnum). Would the Lyman #225415 mold work for both calibers? That would be convenient.

Thanks.

telebasher
03-31-2014, 04:43 PM
Great choice.

JeffinNZ
03-31-2014, 10:34 PM
It's my 'go to' bullet for small game. The flat nose makes a big difference in knock down power. Good bullet.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-31-2014, 11:12 PM
I haven't tried that mold yet. And Midway is tempting me by closing out some 2 cav molds...there's 7 of them left

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/104009/lyman-2-cavity-bullet-mold-225415-22-caliber-225-diameter-55-grain-flat-nose-gas-check

BullRunBear
04-01-2014, 12:27 AM
Thanks for the confirmation and the link. Just ordered the Lyman mold and gas checks from Midway. I've never cast anything smaller than .357 and have only used Lee molds but they don't offer anything smaller than 30 caliber. So this will be a learning experience but I'm looking forward to it. The sale included a couple of boxes of old commercial ammo for each caliber and I hope to get out this week to try them. A fun way to get some once fired brass that I know fits the chamber.

telebasher
04-01-2014, 11:07 AM
Be very critical with your visual inspection and cull anything that's different from the norm. A lot of guys weigh and separate by lots of one/tenth of a grain. Some will benefit from this and some for whatever reason will not. Contenders can be very accurate and/or very frustrating, YMMV. Have fun and keep good notes!

dagger dog
04-01-2014, 05:13 PM
It takes some work to get those small boolits to come out right, get you a hot plate to keep your mold up to temp, it takes along time to get it hot it hot. That mold drops at 53-54 grain with clip on wheel weights, add the gas check and lube they weigh 55 grains.

I've only shot it in in my 22 Hornet 1in 14 twist, use 8 grains Unique, haven't tried to push them any faster.

telebasher
04-01-2014, 10:31 PM
It takes some work to get those small boolits to come out right, get you a hot plate to keep your mold up to temp, it takes along time to get it hot it hot. That mold drops at 53-54 grain with clip on wheel weights, add the gas check and lube they weigh 55 grains.

I've only shot it in in my 22 Hornet 1in 14 twist, use 8 grains Unique, haven't tried to push them any faster.

My Lyman 4th edition manual shows 4.6 gr Unique as max! double check your notes for safeties sake please.

quilbilly
04-01-2014, 10:48 PM
My 10" Contender 222 loves that Lee Bator boolit and about 6 gr. of Unique.

BullRunBear
04-02-2014, 09:46 AM
Guys,
Thanks for the further advice and mentioning the Lee Bator mold. I hadn't heard of it. Turns out Midsouth just got some in recently. As a bonus, I saw they have another special order Lee mold for the 6.5 Swedish Mauser. Ordered both just now. I've had thirty years of fine results with Lee molds so that wasn't a concern. I still want to use the Lyman mold that's coming to see if iron molds are that much better than aluminum. Figure it's about time I tried one.

Sensai
04-03-2014, 09:12 AM
I still want to use the Lyman mold that's coming to see if iron molds are that much better than aluminum. Figure it's about time I tried one.

I wouldn't say that they're "better", just different. The realm that you're entering with the tiny .22 boolits is where that difference shows up the most, at least in my opinion. With small boolits it's hard to keep the molds hot enough, this is compounded with the aluminum molds because they cool faster. At least that's my experience. When I'm casting .22 and 6mm boolits, I make sure that everything is set up just the way I want it before starting and then I cast like crazy for as long as this old body can take it. If I have to take a break, I set everything back up like I originally did and get everything back up to temperature. Then I go as fast a I can again for whatever length of time I can. Molds just don't absorb as much heat from those little bitty boolit, so casting speed is the only way I can control the temp. That's just my way of doing things, though, you will develope your own method and there really isn't a right and wrong method as long as you maintain safety. Best Wishes

Iowa Fox
04-03-2014, 12:35 PM
I haven't tried that mold yet. And Midway is tempting me by closing out some 2 cav molds...there's 7 of them left

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/104009/lyman-2-cavity-bullet-mold-225415-22-caliber-225-diameter-55-grain-flat-nose-gas-check

Jon, I think you should jump on one of those molds before they are gone. Thats a good price. I've got an old one and it is a very easy casting mold that drops just about perfect bullets every cast.

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-03-2014, 03:21 PM
Jon, I think you should jump on one of those molds before they are gone. Thats a good price. I've got an old one and it is a very easy casting mold that drops just about perfect bullets every cast.

Actually I did place an order yesterday...but not from Midway.

I had a list of stuff I needed to order, Midsouth had it all, Midway didn't. Two days ago, I emailed midsouth the same midway Link I posted above and asked them if they would match that clearance price as I was about to place an order for other items as well. "Milly" replied in a e-mail saying, "yes, but you need to call in the order instead of ordering online, she said she left a note for the operators".

This will be my first NEW, recent manufacture Lyman Mold.