PDA

View Full Version : Mas 49 & 49/56

wyantry
12-30-2007, 03:36 AM
Has anyone considered rebarreling MAS 49(s) to 7.62 X 39mm (AK 47)?
I realize tis would require some potential receiver mods for magazines, but could solve any overpressure problems. The barrel conversion looks to be fairly straightforward, with the exception of the gas-port takeoff, which might have to be silver-soldered to the bbl. Ruger mini-30 magazines could be used to fit within the existing mag. well.

For a .30 caliber cartridge, I think the 7.62 X 39mm is given short-shrift. I'm looking for a relatively short-range deer/pig capable weapon with very good relaiability - not a 400 meter gun.

I guess it DOES sound a bit Ah, Er, well "sacreligeous" but still....

Buckshot
12-30-2007, 04:14 AM
................wyantry, a hearty welcome to the board. Suggesting such a whacked out conversion as that proves your cracked enough to fit in well :-)?

Here's my thinking on that. I had a MAS36 converted to 45-70 and it worked super. And I barreled a small ring Mauser to the 30 Rooski Shortski. Another excellent conversion. Both fit thier platforms and complemented each other.

I would think the MAS 49 would be more valuable as it is. It would be a bit large, if not heavy for the cartridge, no? If I were going to make a really accurate semi auto in that round I'd start with an SKS. I'd rebarrel with a real 30 cal barrel to take advantage of the excellent 30 cal bullets available. Then I'd do a good tuneup of the action and gas cylinder fitting, then glass bed it. I'm by no means an expert on the SKS, but I'd bet there has been a lot of work done and info out there on wringing some really fine accuracy from the platform.

..................Buckshot

9.3X62AL
12-30-2007, 03:49 PM
Another "welcome aboard", Wyantry!

On a scale of 1-10, "1" being conservative and strait-laced with "10" being "X-Files-capable", your suggestion barely rates a 3.8 with this crew. The 7.62 x 39 Soviet can be a VERY accurate caliber--ask anyone with a bolt rifle so chambered. There are a LOT more good-quality ACCURATE bullets available in .308" than in .311"/.312".

With the costs involved in getting a conversion made on a valuable milsurp.......I would look at getting one of the rebuilt/accurized Mini-30's for the venue you mention.

Freightman
12-30-2007, 07:33 PM
Had an origional 49/56 7.5x54, got a wild hair for something else and sold it off for a large profit. That was good but I wish I had just saved up my money and kept the MAS accurate, easy to use, and tough. One of the most accurate rifles I ever owned. My advise which isn't good or at least must not be as no one takes it (kids, wife ect.) Keep it in the origional 7.5x54 if it is now.

wyantry
12-31-2007, 01:09 AM
Thanks for the welcome!

In general - it seems the MAS is an "acquired taste" sort of item; sure its clunky, heavy, short-stocked, weighty, solid, easy to clean & maintain, Oh, and its heavy, too. but nice machined parts and no @%$*#&^ plastic parts. Sort of fits along w/ FN 49.

The general consensus appears to be: leave (the sleeping dog) lie (lay?) Only reasons I had considered this conversion were: A] I happen to have the MAS sitting in the closet - and the 800 odd rounds of *old* 7.5X54 will >>MAYBE<< eject a case every third round or so, and B] the conversion to .308 brings the attendant considerations of much higher chamber pressures.

I intend to contact Bill Toth to see if he is still converting @ a reasonable price. I'd REALLY like to get the straight-stock (a la m-16) conversion, but that may not be a seperate-purchase option.

Again - thanks for the welcome(s)

Bret4207
12-31-2007, 09:56 AM
Welcome aboard! Your thinking shows that you're a sick, twisted freak- just like the rest of us:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen: Glad to have you in the family.