PDA

View Full Version : Die adjustment changes and return to previous settings?

wbrco
03-30-2014, 09:31 PM
I'll ask some of the folks who have been loading a lot longer than I have on this.

How do you keep track of how dies are adjusted between loads/bullets? I finally figured out to have multiple die sets ( I use a Lee Classic Cast ) on a turret to easily change between .38 and .357, but as I change between loads I have to completely re-adjust each time.

I thought maybe it was a Lee thing; so I bought a set of RCBS thinking that with a "higher" end brand there would be some indexing marks machined into the dies for changes, but no luck.

Short of marking the dies with reference marks from a sharpie pen, how do you change back to previous die adjustment settings?

Mk42gunner
03-30-2014, 11:47 PM
I have gone to using a single stage press for my loading since I retired so I just adjust as needed. Some of the loading companies used to send a washer with their .38/357 and .44 Special/Magnum sets to theoretically make the switch between Special and Magnum usage. I don't know how they worked, I never used any.

Robert

btroj
03-31-2014, 07:26 AM
Changing bullets only requires a change to the seating stem.

Changing from special to mag was something I handled by getting a second set of dies. No more changes to either set.

I also tend to use a single bullet for almost all cartridges so I don't make many adjustments at all these days.

Bayou52
03-31-2014, 07:39 AM
Once your FL sizing die is set and locked to your satisfaction, that shouldn't change. As mentioned earlier, you'll just need to change your bullet seater adjustment on your seater die as your bullet choice changes.

Wayne Smith
03-31-2014, 08:23 AM
Make a dummy cartridge with that boolit seated appropriately. Do this for every boolit you use in that cartridge. Use these to re-set your seating stem.

Themoose
03-31-2014, 08:44 AM
I'm on a budget imposed by retirement... so I use a bottle of "White-out" to index my dies on a single stage press... I mark the center line on the press itself, then when I set up the dies, I mark a center line on each of them to line up with the one on the press....it helps insure that the dies haven't backed off or tightened between installation and previous use. I do it especially for my crimp die(I use separate die for crimp, backing out seating die to have no crimp). On the seating die I actually use a Sharpie fine-line marker and place about 5 lines equally spaced near the desired crimp range for use in developing loads... I mark test loads with each crimp setting to see where I get the best accuracy from... it seems to work for me...

TheMoose

wbrco
03-31-2014, 09:48 AM
@themoose yes, I seem to have the most problem with the crimp, since I'm switching from lead and not using the FCD to j bullets using the FCD. What I want is repeatable consistency and being able to get the seating die set back to provide a crimp on the lead bullets at the same level. Since this done by screwing the seating die down, it seems like it's always a best guess kind of adjustment.

Themoose
03-31-2014, 09:59 AM
In re-reading my post, I see where I mis-spoke.. I actually place the fine lines from a Sharpie on the crimp die so that I can repeat each crimp variation used in load development.. in the first post, I incorrectly said it was the seating die...
Old age definitely has it's "issues"...

sorry for the mis-speak

TheMoose

dudel
03-31-2014, 10:20 AM
That's what I use those junk (steel, AMERC, etc) cases for. Once you've decided on the seating depth, load and crimp one (no primer or powder into a resized case). Set it aside with the dies. Next time you need to set the seating die, put the case in the shell holder, back out the seating stem, raise the ram, screw the die body down till it seats (that's your crimp), screw down the seating stem till you contact to projectile (that's your seating depth). Lock the die and stem down, and you're good to go (or at least in the ballpark!)

I tend to seat and crimp in two operations. Generally the crimp doesn't change as often.

bedbugbilly
03-31-2014, 01:34 PM
I load a number of different boolits in my 38s - I also use the Lee Classic 4 hole turret. As already mentioned - I make up "dummy rounds" for the different boolits I use. I seat and crimp in two different operations and use the Lee 4 die set with the FCD. The only die that needs to be adjusted is the seating die. Back the stem out, put in the dummy round and adjust the stem until it just touches the boo lit - the back off a smidgin. Seat a bullet in a case - check and do a quick adjustment so that it's seated where it should be - then move on and load 'em. For me - that's a lot simpler than marking the dies - and quicker. I have separate turret plates for each die set/caliber. For 357 - get a set of the shims.

375supermag
03-31-2014, 05:32 PM
Hi...
I purchase separate seating dies for calibers that I shoot more than one load in.
I am willing to pay the small price for the convenience...especially since I can usually find used seating dies for a dollar or so at gun shows.
I have at least 5 seating dies that I use constantly in .357Mag alone...I really don't like changing set-ups on seating dies.
Just about every handgun I shoot has a seating die set for a cast bullet load, as well as a jacketed load. Once I settle on a good quality accurate load I don't want to be constantly fiddling with OAL or degree of crimp.

wbrco
03-31-2014, 05:40 PM
I don't use the FCD on lead bullets - it seems that when I do, my accuracy, even with a very light crimp goes way down. If I can get a dummy to replicate the bullet seat/crimp die that would help a lot.

03-31-2014, 06:31 PM
I realized early on that continually having to readjust seating dies, to accommodate different bullet/bollit profiles, was going to be something that I didn't want to contend with. Now, almost each bullet/boolit type has its own dedicated seating die, and crimp die if required. For the one cartridge and its two bullets/boolits that don't, yet, have their own dies, I use dummy rounds to set the correct seating length.

Used dies are inexpensive and eliminate much fiddling and frustration. Many times, a lone seating die can be found, further reducing the cost.

10mmShooter
04-06-2014, 09:14 AM
I have written records where I measured the die settings with calipers to repeat them.....but I have found as I added more dies to my collection that it wasnt worth the time. I simply record the measurements for a given cartridge and set up the dies accordingly each time. For me thats quicker than trying to review my notes measure the dies etc, by the time I look the data, I can have the dies inserted and adjusted to produce the correct cartridge dimensions.