PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with a 40s&w load

jacobslagle018
03-30-2014, 06:52 PM
Greetings all! I recently bought a lee 175-401-TC mold. It drops around 178 after PC and is sized in a lee .401 sizer. Now here is the question..

The only powder that is readily available in my area is hodgdon longshot. I use this with awesome results in plated rounds, but I need some help starting with lead. Any and all data that you have to offer is much appreciated. I looked at their website, but the info is a bit lacking for lead 40 rounds.

YunGun
03-31-2014, 01:53 PM
Can't offer much help with LongShot as I've never used that one, but it seems a little slow for the application I'd think.

The only powders I've tried for the 40S&W are [Alliant] Unique & Power Pistol, but I haven't seen either one of them available anywhere in over a year. LongShot is a fair bit slower than either of those powders but looks to be pretty close to BlueDot & I've seen comments from others using BD in this application, though it will require a little more powder in order to burn properly & I've also heard that it may be temp sensitive.

Here's just a few other references to peruse....
CastPics load data (http://www.castpics.net/project2/CastDatalist.php?start=1)
Guns&Ammo: Handgun magazine article "Make Right With a ".40 Light (http://www.handgunsmag.com/2010/09/24/ammunition_40lite_091806/)"
"Longshot in 40S&W (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?133782-Longshot-in-40S-amp-W)" thread here on CB

rsrocket1
03-31-2014, 11:36 PM
The only 180g load on Hodgdon's site is for plated, but the starting load should work just fine for your cast bullets. I personally like Unique for my 401-175-TC bullets, but Longshot should work too. I have used Power Pistol which is a slightly slower powder than Unique (like Longshot) for a higher MV, but the additional cost (50% more powder) for a few more fps doesn't excite me so I just stick with Unique for my usual loads.

Bullet fit is important here especially with a slower powder. An undersized bullet will allow gas to escape around the bullet before the pressure builds up enough to bump up the base. This may cause leading so make sure your barrel grooves are smaller than 0.401". My M&P is 0.400" and my bullets drop at .4015-.4025 so I simply load them as cast without sizing.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
04-01-2014, 01:59 PM
I load that bullet without sizing tumbled lubed 2 coats any where from 4.5 gr power pistol for very light loads that just work the slide to 6.3 gr for a load that feels like a 40 factory load and shoot to the same point of aim as the sights with factory

you could probably reduce a few % from your plated bullet load and be very happy

cast a few out of soft lead leave them unsized measure them, lube them with oil or grease in a clean barrel and drive it through with a brass rod , measure again if the groove isn't >.002 smaller than the unsized boolit load and go if it is you may want to size down to .001 or .002 more than groove there are a bunch of guns with over sized for caliber barrels you just hope their chamber is as fat as the barrel so that the fat rounds chamber.

gray wolf
04-01-2014, 07:27 PM
Your longshot will be fine, plated bullets should be shot at lead bullet velocities. They are no more than soft lead with a very thin veneer of copper. Manufacturers of said bullets tell you to load as lead.
The longshot will give very good speed and keep you at the lower end of the pressure scale.
To low of a charge could be a little sooty on the cases.
Whatever the load is that you are using now will probably work fine for your cast of the same weight and bullet geometry. If in doubt, drop it down 2 tenths in the charge weight.
Seat the bullet as long as you can and still function the pistol. If your mold is giving you the same shape bullet with the same amount of bullet in the case you should be OK.
Lead bullet data for the 40 is a pain to find. When in doubt use the start load for jacketed.
For target loads you may want to be on the look out for a little better powder choice, for now make your longshot work. If it were me, I would read all the replies here and then call hodgons and speak to a Rep.
explain everything you are doing and see how his advise stacks up to ours.