PDA

View Full Version : Finally a Tom Turkey

TheGrimReaper
03-30-2014, 06:37 PM
100962Only took 3 years, but today after church shot this ole Tom Turkey with the ole Benelli SuperNova 12 ga 3 1/2 inch Rem #5. Shot him after he landed in a tree in front of me!!!

HodakaGA
03-30-2014, 06:41 PM
Good Bird! My son has one of those guns. Kicks something awful with 3 1/2's.

waksupi
03-30-2014, 09:42 PM
Good going! Our season opens in two weeks.

CastingFool
03-30-2014, 09:55 PM
Congrats! It took me a few years before I got my first tom. Actually, it was a jake, the mature long beard came a 3 or 4 yrs later.

smoked turkey
03-30-2014, 10:09 PM
Good Job! I consider any turkey a trophy. Yours looks to be a genuine trophy. It is funny how seasons go. Sometimes it just won't work no matter what I try and I am skunked. Other times it is too easy. But that is turkey hunting.

Bullshop Junior
03-30-2014, 10:31 PM
I saw a big tom turkey the other day i almost shot out of a tree with my 22 mag, but didn't as I think the local law enforcement would greatly frown upon it. Nice bird

NVScouter
03-31-2014, 05:59 PM
Congrats! I'm full on jealous as I'm skipping my first Turkey season to move into a new house. Its bitter sweet to say the least, maybe fall season.

RugerFan
03-31-2014, 06:16 PM
Nice! How long was the beard?

FISH4BUGS
03-31-2014, 06:31 PM
I had to chuckle.....we have 2 or 3 flocks of wild turkeys that we put out cracked corn for in the morning. Probably 40 or more, with about 5 mature toms and about 10 young boys. They come and go all day.
The barn cats get to mingle with them, and I have seen them running with the turkeys.
The Toms are strutting their stuff and of course, like in real life, the girls are doing their best to ignore them.
I could pop a Tom anytime from any window with a 22 short and call it a day. I certainly wouldn't do that, but it is funny seeing all these turkeys every day and see the hunters in the hay fields across the road do their best to get a Tom. Most don't......they are very smart birds and very wary.
I think our season opens shortly. I have seen only 1 taken in 3 years. Kind of sad to see them hunted but there are plenty of them here in NH. It helps to keep the population down I am sure.

DLCTEX
03-31-2014, 07:38 PM
I saw a big tom turkey the other day i almost shot out of a tree with my 22 mag, but didn't as I think the local law enforcement would greatly frown upon it. Nice bird I
It is legal to take turkeys with a rifle in Texas, however it has to be centerfir. Most of mine have been taken with a rifle while deer hunting.

waksupi
03-31-2014, 07:51 PM
A friend says there are two Tom's attacking cars in Kalispell this afternoon.

roverboy
03-31-2014, 08:13 PM
Congratulations. Nice bird you got. Our season opened on Sat. 30th. No luck over the weekend. Heard several birds but they're henned up pretty bad around here.

kootne
03-31-2014, 09:00 PM
A friend says there are two Tom's attacking cars in Kalispell this afternoon.

They will do that every time if the wheels happen to have shiny moon hubcaps;)

TheGrimReaper
04-01-2014, 09:08 AM
Nice! How long was the beard?

10 Inches long.

TheGrimReaper
04-01-2014, 09:10 AM
I had to chuckle.....we have 2 or 3 flocks of wild turkeys that we put out cracked corn for in the morning. Probably 40 or more, with about 5 mature toms and about 10 young boys. They come and go all day.
The barn cats get to mingle with them, and I have seen them running with the turkeys.
The Toms are strutting their stuff and of course, like in real life, the girls are doing their best to ignore them.
I could pop a Tom anytime from any window with a 22 short and call it a day. I certainly wouldn't do that, but it is funny seeing all these turkeys every day and see the hunters in the hay fields across the road do their best to get a Tom. Most don't......they are very smart birds and very wary.
I think our season opens shortly. I have seen only 1 taken in 3 years. Kind of sad to see them hunted but there are plenty of them here in NH. It helps to keep the population down I am sure.

Yea, we have lots of them here in S. Middle TN. I see them constantly... except during Turkey Season!!!

1bluehorse
04-03-2014, 02:59 PM
Yea, we have lots of them here in S. Middle TN. I see them constantly... except during Turkey Season!!!

Same thing here, darn nuisance....there are three struttin Toms with about 30 hens out by the barn right now....horses don't even pay any attention to them anymore, nor do the dogs....they come down to the house and eat grass in the front yard....turkey poo everywhere....chase em' away and they're back in a couple days....they also eat the cats food...

osteodoc08
04-05-2014, 03:32 PM
I've about tagged 3 turkeys the past week with my truck. The last one I stopped as it strutted across the road while my 7 yo was saying "look at that huge chicken daddy, shoot it for dinner" LOL.

roverboy
04-13-2014, 01:33 PM
I finally got one this morning at 10:15. Its been real tough this season for me. With work and problems with the hens leading the toms away, its been awful. But, at about 9:55am I yelped 8 times on my wingbone call just to see if I could get one to gobble. I had a gobble at about 100 yards away. I walked about 30 feet and set up at a big White Oak and called a little more on the wingbone and a slate. In about 10 minutes both gobbled at about 50 yards. I got ready and waited and they came in to view at about 40 yards in just a few more minutes. The Mossberg 500 did a good job. Sorry no pics yet.

Boyscout
05-01-2014, 09:30 AM
How many use wing bone turkey calls (Roverboy) here? I make them for trophies for friends and children of friends when they shoot their 1st birds. I even bought a nice wood burner to decorate them. I have had limited sucess using them but one of other hunters in camp have had great sucesss with some I have made. I find store bought bones work better as they resonate better than wingbones of 2 year old birds or jakes.

Smoke4320
05-01-2014, 11:26 AM
nice bird.. congrads .. looks like some fine eating to follow

roverboy
05-04-2014, 12:28 PM
Boyscout, I'm the only one that I know that uses them. I've made 3 so far, and I've got 2 wings to make more. I use to never carry mine but, this season I don't leave home without it. I've got decent at calling with it. It just takes a lot of practice. I've called in several jakes and a nice longbeard with it this season. I like the unique sound that they make.