PDA

View Full Version : Question on Lubes

brshooter
12-29-2007, 10:57 PM
I have a question for you guys on lubes. I picked up at a garage sale 100+ solid sticks of Rooster Labs, "Zambini" lube. What are the pros and cons of this lube. I plan on lubing my 0.459" dia. 405 gr. boolits for my Gatling Gun. Velocity of load appox. 1350 fps. I all so bought a box of 100+ solid sticks of Tamarack Lube (50/50 Alox 2138F & Beeswax) I have used the Tamarack Lube before and as it worked ok, after the bullets were stored a while upright in trays, the lube would all ways stick to the other bullets lube and I had to stop loading to clean excessive lube in the seating die or else pick the excessive lube of each bullet before seating it. Not fun doing when you trying to run a Star reloader at about a 1000 rds/hr with 2 guys working to keep you supplied in primers, powder and bullets.
I don't want the lube coming off the bullets like the Tamarack does, will the Zambini not do that and will be a good enough lube to prevent leading. Accuracy is not an issue, Gatliing Guns are not an accuracy item.
Thanks for the help, I appreciate your input.. Jon

carpetman
12-29-2007, 11:05 PM
You can use that Zambini to clean a hockey rinks--ooppss disregard that's a Zamboni. Dont try to clean a hockey rink with Zambini---that warning may not be on the label.

Morgan Astorbilt
12-29-2007, 11:32 PM
I use Rooster Zambini for all my pistol bullets, which are loaded in progressive presses. Being a hard lube, It requires a heater. It will not fall out of the grooves, or be "sticky" like the 50-50 Alox-Beeswax lube does, and your fingers stay clean.
I use 50-50 Alox lube for all my rifle bullets, which I load in single stage presses, the exception being the .38-40, since it's loaded in a progressive. I believe the Alox lube will withstand higher velocities.
Morgan

Shiloh
12-30-2007, 12:48 AM
Being that you have 200+ sticks, it would be a shame not to use it as this seems like a lifetime supply, or at least a long, long time.

If you don't like this lube, it could be sold or possibly altered to a lube more compatible with your needs. Felix would know for sure about alteration.

I have been using Larsen lube http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/ with excellent results. Glen Larsen is a member on this forum as is Felix. I use the 2500+ lube and the BAC lube. Both need no heater. However my basement in the upper mid-west in winter necessitates a heat lamp to ease the flow. One day I will try one of Felix's recipes in that they have a reputation of a high quality, efficient lube.

Shiloh :castmine:

Lloyd Smale
12-30-2007, 06:59 AM
if you mixed them 5050 youd probably have a fine lube for most uses. If your interested in selling some of the hard lube let me know. I use it to stiffin up my homemade lubes. Never could see using paraphin to stiffin lubes when you can use something that actually lubes. (even if it doesnt do it well) Id gladly take 25 sticks off your hands.

brshooter
12-30-2007, 09:16 AM
The two things about the Zambini I'm concerned with, prevention of leading in the 45-70 & long term (1-2 years) storage of boolits without the lube falling out or sticking to the other bullets like the Tamarack does. I plan on casting enough boolits to last for a couple of years.
I use a Star libricator with a heater, bullet feeder and pneumatic pressure rod all by Magna-Eng.
No, I do not wish to sell any of the lubes.

Bent Ramrod
12-30-2007, 12:10 PM
I've lubed .25, .30 and .32 caliber boolits with Rooster Red Zambini and kept them stored for at least one year heading up on two, sometimes three, with no problems. Even in our 100+ degree summer heat in my garage, the stuff doesn't slump in the grooves, the way Alox/Beeswax does. Neither lube runs off the boolits, even at this temperature.

I use one of those Lyman heaters on my Lachmiller sizer/luber and the stuff flows well after warming and too well if I leave the heater on too long. I haven't noticed that Rooster Red is a magical key to blistering cast-boolit velocities or anything, but it does the job as well as other lubes. Congratulations on your score.