PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone actually like Paypal?

ShooterAZ
03-30-2014, 10:49 AM
I signed up with them specifically to contribute to Cast Boolits. Now I'm getting their spam daily to my inbox. I keep un-checking the "receive promotional emails" box, then I keep getting spammed and the box mysteriously keeps getting checked again. I'm getting sick of them. I want to continue contributing to this site, but I don't think I'll be doing it through Paypal anymore. I think I'm going to cancel my account. Does anyone actually like Paypal? Is there a good reason NOT to cancel?

waynem34
03-30-2014, 10:59 AM
Thats odd.I have never got any spam from them,but I dont use it alot.

Alvarez Kelly
03-30-2014, 11:07 AM
I have used them for years. I don't get more than 1 email a month. That is the email telling me my monthly statement is ready to download.

It sounds like you have a real spam problem, not a Paypal problem.

Cmm_3940
03-30-2014, 11:21 AM
Ditto the above. I get 1 email a month saying my online statement can be viewed.

That ain't Paypal sending you spam. Someone is phishing for your paypal info. I'd be careful. Type the paypal url manually every time you want to go there. If you are clicking a link embedded in a spam email, that might not be the Paypal site you are being sent to, no matter what it looks like.

William Yanda
03-30-2014, 11:25 AM
I Does anyone actually like Paypal? Is there a good reason NOT to cancel?

It's the world's most loved-just ask them!
I don't love it but I do find it convenient. Have used the buyer protection when an item was not as described. Of course they get their bite.

jcwit
03-30-2014, 11:31 AM
As other have said, I have no problem with them at all, I use them for many purchases for years. Only thing is get from them is my monthly account info.

greenmntranger
03-30-2014, 11:48 AM
Never had a problem. As mentioned above, I only get an account statement once a month. dont like their stance on guns/gun parts but they are convenient.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-30-2014, 11:54 AM
Yeah, I like Paypal.
besides the monthly statement notice, I do get a small amount of spam from them, about once a week, is my guess. Usually advertising some deal...typically a deal on something I recently bought. I think to myself...Hey I just bought that, why would I want to buy another one ? Now if they were to do that with Guns...that'd be OK :)

jmort
03-30-2014, 12:10 PM
I never receive any emails from PayPal. I find it to be useful and convenient. . In a perfect world there would be no companies like PayPal, but they are useful and convenient.

Bill*
03-30-2014, 01:04 PM
Just the monthly statement like others above.
But I'm thinking of going with GunPal :kidding:

camotruck
03-30-2014, 01:08 PM
I use to get spam saying there was a problem with my account. I don't have an account with them, It's my wife's.

Junior1942
03-30-2014, 01:26 PM
The ONLY times you should get an email from PayPal is when you either add to or withdraw from your account. All others are baited hooks. If you want to be sure about an email from PayPal, forward it to spoof@paypal.com They will answer back either confirming the email or thanking you for helping fight spam and phishing.

gbrown
03-30-2014, 01:29 PM
I've never encountered a problem with them--used them for a long time, don't know how long. Never gotten spam from 'em either. As said in several above posts, a monthly statement email. Very convenient, very useful. A lot of "Big Box" stores such as Home Depot offer them.

randyrat
03-30-2014, 01:31 PM
Just the monthly statement like others above.
But I'm thinking of going with GunPal :kidding:
I was one of the lucky ones GunPal only got $7 when they went to the dogs.
PayPal (knock on wood) is great, but they are very expensive.

lylejb
03-30-2014, 01:40 PM
The only email I get from paypal is when I make a transaction.

Have had an account for about 15 years. rarely use them, don't like their anti gun views.

Had to use their so called "buyer protection" once. I had bought a computer chip off of ebay. When it arrived, it looked like it had been underwater and did not work. Salt corrosion on the pins and such. About a month later, I got about 40% back, with a note saying IF the guy put anymore in his account I would get more. never did.

montana_charlie
03-30-2014, 01:55 PM
A lot of retail sites give you the option of opening an account with them to make purchases, or just use your PayPal account.
That helps to greatly reduce the number of useless 'accounts' you might have scattered around the internet ... opened for a one-time purchase.

I will use PayPal every time, if it is an available option ... and they NEVER send me spam.

CM

pressonregardless
03-30-2014, 02:00 PM
don't like their anti gun views.

I bet they would if they had any idea of how many firearms related purchases we use them for.

farmerjim
03-30-2014, 02:03 PM
I will only use them when I have no other option. I do not like their views and do not want to give them money, but I will not hurt myself to hurt them.

imashooter2
03-30-2014, 02:05 PM
Check again... I get a lot of phishing email from "e.paypal.com" but nothing from "paypal.com" except confirmations of my transactions.

dragon813gt
03-30-2014, 02:09 PM
I bet they would if they had any idea of how many firearms related purchases we use them for.

They are fully aware. Just as eBay is. They have loosened their policies up in the name of profit. I have no issues w/ them and it's the only form of payment I accept. I don't have time to deposit money orders at the bank. Nor do I want to wait to receive one. PayPal is instant and protects both parties. If you've ever had a dispute you will appreciate this protection. They got my $2,000 back in short order. As far as their fees being high. Open up a merchant services account and get back to me.

dragonrider
03-30-2014, 02:17 PM
I have a paypal account but I don't use it to collect money, just to pay for boolit molds from Miha and NOE and the rare ebay purchase. I just keep a few hundred dollars in a separate checking account for it. It is handy for that.

robertbank
03-30-2014, 02:30 PM
This is a family forum and we intend to keep it that way. Hate speech and foul language no matter how you attempt to use contractions or disguised key strokes is just not acceptable. We all can express our opinions without resorting to their use.

As an aside some of the spam some are getting is an attempt at gaining your personal information and access to your paypal account. Be very careful how when dealing with the emails.

Take Care

Bob

jmort
03-30-2014, 02:41 PM
With certain exceptions, count me out of this forum. I still have business to conclude. We are in a new world of Hope and Change here.

AMT7
03-30-2014, 02:44 PM
I signed up with them specifically to contribute to Cast Boolits. Now I'm getting their spam daily to my inbox. I keep un-checking the "receive promotional emails" box, then I keep getting spammed and the box mysteriously keeps getting checked again. I'm getting sick of them. I want to continue contributing to this site, but I don't think I'll be doing it through Paypal anymore. I think I'm going to cancel my account. Does anyone actually like Paypal? Is there a good reason NOT to cancel?

That spam is phishing scam. Look at the source code of the email, select all & copy, then paste into the body of an email titled "spam" or "phishing" and addtess it to after finding the contact email on the applicable web site either spam or customer service email address for your ISP and the Paypal web site address of same type. They will block it sooner or later. You can also find the source email address not the spoofed paypal one and block it in email program phone or app settings as applicable. I recommend doing all above. Putting those suspicious emails in your email app spam (preferred) or junk box depending on if junk is really trash or a spam folder in function will sometimes will eventually fix it also.

Dale in Louisiana
03-30-2014, 03:25 PM
Paypal is kind of like my plumbing. I don't think about it often. Just happy that it works.

Beats the daylights out of going to the post office to get a money order for people who won't do Paypal.

Yeah, they've got some undesirable stances, but so does just about every other form of payment.

dale in Louisiana

theperfessor
03-30-2014, 03:36 PM
I use Paypal but never keep more than $500 in my account. Their 3% fee is no higher than what credit card companies charge for the convenience of instantly transferring funds across the country and yes across the world in many countries. For that 3% you get some consumer protection. I don't get many emails from them, (what is a spam email is open to discussion), certainly no more than I get from my Credit Union, ISP, gas & electric utility and many other orgs I do business with.

In the past, and when I resume my business in the future, I will continue to accept personal checks, money orders, and Paypal. Even if you don't have a PP account you can pay someone with a credit card through PP. This should cover the needs of anyone who wants to buy something from me.

The major difference is the time frame it takes for me to be sure I have the payment in hand before I make the product and ship it. With PP I could often get a product in the mail in 24 to 48 hours. Usually I wait until I have deposited the checks or money order in my bank account before making/shipping something, (add another 24 hours) and couple that with the two-three day time for a check or Money order to get through the mail, you can see that using paper through the USPS can more than double the wait. Many folks will wait even longer to ship, i.e. until a personal check clears the bank.

No dispute with those who have different policies and viewpoints, and admittedly I don't agree with all of PP's policies and political positions, but I'm a realist and want to make it as easy as possible for folks to do business with me.

DLCTEX
03-30-2014, 04:16 PM
I like it and don't get spam. We also use it to transfer money to our student son for free. He has a Paypal debit card and can request money, we receive an email to authorize it, and it transfers instantly.

762 shooter
03-30-2014, 05:33 PM
This is a family forum and we intend to keep it that way. Hate speech and foul language no matter how you attempt to use contractions or disguised key strokes is just not acceptable. We all can express our opinions without resorting to their use.

Bob

Heck, I never get to see the unacceptable posts.

shooter93
03-30-2014, 05:43 PM
I don't like them but don't hate them either. I use them when necessary or when buying here the person prefers that payment form. Anywhere else on the web I buy outside of the few regular places I use where I have an account I just check out as a guest.

OBIII
03-30-2014, 06:40 PM
PayPal is like everything else in life. It has it's uses, mostly for the better. Anything can go wrong with anything, so an occasional glitch is not to be unexpected. I also do not receive many e-mails from PayPal itself. I do occasionally get some phishing schemes, which I simply delete.

OB

woody1
03-30-2014, 07:09 PM
I've read your post the the two below it only. I don't use Paypal, never have, hope I never actually have to. Regards, Woody

mold maker
03-30-2014, 07:14 PM
Using PP can save at least one trip to town, and up to 3 days time, with each transaction. I've never had an email from them except the usual confirmation of a transaction, and the monthly statement.
No problems, ever.

backroad
03-30-2014, 08:21 PM
I really only use it to buy seldom ever sell very handy for a country boy no gas dont have to go to town.

gtgeorge
03-30-2014, 09:08 PM
I find it quite useful and run 3 businesses with it. I am grandfathered in to 1.5% refunded every time I use the debit card as a cc and have paid for Pro membership for many years. When I accept payment for goods or services it is there right then instead of days later. I even use their business capital program for instant loans that if you choose to pay back quickly costs almost nothing.

There are many that hate them and since they are owned by ebay they have even more that despise them. I had some problems early on many years ago but by being forceful and direct got it worked out. It is no fun to have your funds frozen and refusal for negotiation but in the end they negotiated have been happy for the most part every since.

solsen52sr
03-30-2014, 09:10 PM
They have been ok for me

jonas302
03-30-2014, 10:56 PM
Never sign into paypal though an email make sure you enter the right address before you sign in I like using them for internet transactions they charge a small percent and save me lots of time also discount on shipping

BedfordShooter
03-30-2014, 11:36 PM
As for whether I like PayPal or not I deal with it as a necessary evil. I don't like the prices and it was hard to setup the way I wanted when I was setting things like prepayments for CCW classes to make it "easier" for my students. I will say I am still very confident when making purchases with PayPal as I too have used the guarantee to get my money back when I found something wrong with a product and had a hard time dealing with the seller.

I always block (mark as spam and block)anything and everything I don't want or care for in my email. If I want to get info from PayPal I go to the site. As for statements, once you get one you simply make a rule/filter to separate it by the exact email address. After that you should not see spam. I almost never sign up for anything frivolous with my primary email address. I use my throw away gmail account for that.

GunDigest (Yes!) emails to the Primary account.
Bed, Bath and Beyond (ehh) goes to the gmail.

sidecarmike
03-30-2014, 11:41 PM
Funny that no one else has mentioned this; When you make a purchase using PayPal, the vendor never sees your credit card or bank account number.
I once set up a computer network for an auto salvage business. The phone guys would log all transactions into wire bound notebooks. If George quoted you a price on Friday, he could go back in the book and see what it was. Everything, including price quotes, was guaranteed for 30 days. Likewise, if you ordered a part by phone, your credit card info was logged into the same book. When the last entry in the book hit 30 days, it was thrown into the back room which also served as the break room for all the Huber prisoners who worked the yard.
I will continue to use PayPal and deal first with businesses that do.

MaryB
03-31-2014, 01:06 AM
I have been using paypal since the mid 90's. They do not send emails very often, policy changes and purchases/received payments is about it. Beats dealing with a credit card processor who can hang onto your money for a week before it deposits into your bank. I have their debit card so if I have a balance I can use it anywhere like a credit card. Have had several cases where I received defective/wrong/no merchandise and paypal has always made good on it. Plus once you have been there awhile if they try to hit you with a partial refund complain, they will usually make up the difference themselves.

Are they good or bad? They are like any other money handling business with good points and bad points.

Lead Fred
03-31-2014, 01:45 AM
I use and have had PP for years, never have gotten a thing from them in the email

rondog
03-31-2014, 01:54 AM
I'd rather take my chances sending cash than use PayPal. It's nice so many of you like it, but let's hear from those who've had bad experiences. I'm not going to give PP the chance to burn me.

waltherboy4040
03-31-2014, 02:14 AM
Use cc, then paypal to send cash so I have two forms of protection. Also never leave any cash in my paypal account

uscra112
03-31-2014, 12:15 PM
About 18 months ago I had a credit card number get into the "public domain", to put it nicely. My BANK told me in a weak moment that THE SOURCE OF THE ID THEFT WAS PAYPAL. So much for their claims of greater security.

I of course changed my CC account. I've also been trying to CLOSE my Paypal account for over a year, and they refuse to do it. Once we was haz your data, we always haz your data.

Do I like Paypal? I'd rather have a root canal without anesthetic. Do I miss Paypal. Not in the least.

Paypal needs a thorough housecleaning, beginning with a Congressional investigation of evilBay's anti-competitive practices.

fatnhappy
03-31-2014, 12:32 PM

Not only phising, but I'm sorry to say you committed a cardinal sin. Never ever ever respond to a spam email. By "unselecting" promotional email you told them that it's an active email that's regularly checked, so much so that you want to keep it spam free. What better place to send spam?
The number of ways spammers glean emails is phenomenal. It certainly doesn't help if you have net unsavvy friends that enjoy regurgitating the standard email fodder to large groups of people. For the record, back in the day I put my own mother on my banned sender list.

A couple tips:
Google has an online toolbox which includes a number of email tools. If you are so inclined you can copy and paste the header info into a google tool and determine where the spam is coming from. Narrow it down to a couple IPs and inform your internet service provider. They hate spam more than you do since it hogs their bandwidth. They'll shut it down temporarily until the spammer switches IPs.

If you haven't created an couple online email addresses with hotmail or yahoo, then get to it. I have an email address which I use exclusively for net usage. ie signing up with forums or purchases. Knowing full well blogs, webpages and forums are going to sell that email address or fail to protect it, I don't bother to ever check it. It's a dead end mail box. Every couple months I'll go and delete everything in the inbox.

Paypal is the number 1 target of phising spammers. Why? Because all you need to do is slip up once and they have your money. Few other services are so well regarded that your willing to whip out your credit card. Any time you wish to use any online service for shopping use a search engine to lead you there.

searcher4851
03-31-2014, 01:40 PM
I've used them for years with no problem. MUCH more convenient than going the postal money order route. It's hard to get to the post office during their hours, since I work. I like the fast payment it allows. I'm not fond of their politics, but one has to take the good along with the bad, sometimes.

DxieLandMan
03-31-2014, 01:54 PM
I've used them for years with no problem. MUCH more convenient than going the postal money order route. It's hard to get to the post office during their hours, since I work. I like the fast payment it allows. I'm not fond of their politics, but one has to take the good along with the bad, sometimes.

I have had no problem with them either. very convenient to use.

Charley
03-31-2014, 02:16 PM
I buy and sell with them. No more expensive than a commercial account most places. Not perfect, but not that bad. BTW, I see an awful lot of you cruising the molds on ebay. Some of the naysayers are paying with it as well, I would bet.

jcwit
03-31-2014, 03:00 PM
I have a separate checking acct. that is tied to a credit card with a limit as to whats in the checking acct. and no more, zip, nada, nothing.

We originally did this to have a way of paying for gas like a debit card, but my bank offers this other option, FREE BTW. We now use this same set up for pay pal, most amount in said acct is $150.00 bucks, while I wouldn't wish to loose $150 bucks, it will not change our eating habits one iota.

Rarely do we spend more than $150 bucks for gas in 1 month for 2 vehicles.

yoter
03-31-2014, 04:56 PM
Very convenient. Never received spam from PayPal. However, I have received fraudulent emails claiming to be from PayPal saying the account was suspended/closed. If in doubt, just go to your account online. Only negative is their anti-gun stance.

sav300
04-01-2014, 06:12 AM
Great for paying for stuff from overseas as well as local. No problems here.