PDA

View Full Version : In-Lines, BlackHorn 209, And PaperPatched Bullets

Themoose
03-29-2014, 07:23 PM
At the suggestion of another member I copied my post from earlier today from another subforum to this one.

Anyone have success in paper patched bullets in an in-line with BH209? Thinking this may be an "iffy" proposal... BH209 needs at tight fit and 209 shotgun primer for ignition, but leaves very little residue in bore.... would this negate the need for any lube. I've never tried PP but it sounds interesting. I'm thinking of trying it in a Knight DISC .45 . Tonight I measured the bore at .452-.453... not sure what bullet diameter I should be looking for... I believe the twist rate for the Knight is 1 in 30" or maybe 1 in 28". The primary purpose of this rifle would be for deer hunting. Any suggestions that anyone can provide to get me going in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

TheMoose

johnson1942
03-29-2014, 08:26 PM
just to get started here, idaho ron uses pyrodex p, i use blackhorn 209, others use real black. from this form learn to patch the right weight bullet that fits in your barrel just right and the powder is up to you. all of us who paperpatch love it and so will you.

rsrocket1
03-30-2014, 11:02 AM
I love Blackhorn 209. It is extremely accurate in my 50 cal CVA Optima Pro and is very clean. I've had range sessions where I shot 30 bullets without cleaning the bore. The smoke is comparable to shooting a smokeless .308 load. The important points with this powder is definitely a snug press of the bullet/powder against the breech and a tight fitting primer that shoots all the flame into the powder with no flame escaping anywhere else. Otherwise you are likely going to have a misfire.

I've used T/C yellow sabots with a 45ACP bullet and that is a very snug fit. I get reliable ignition with that combination using Winchester 209, Federal 209A and CCI 209M primers. Don't use any of the blackpowder or BP substitute 209 primers, they are designed to be weaker to prevent the "crud ring" caused by hot shotgun primers with 777 or Pyrodex and will not set off BH209 reliably.

Look at the BH209 testimonials here. (http://www.blackhorn209.com/testimonials/) Yes, it's advertising, but there is at least one shooter who uses it successfully with a Knight Disc 50 cal and sabots.

The one thing I notice with this powder is that you don't want to clean between shots because the first shot does impact at a different point than the rest of the shots. Here is a typical group. The distance was only 25 yards, but seemed to be pretty consistent when it came to shooting the first shot of the day on subsequent trips.

Themoose
03-30-2014, 11:09 AM
I have used BH209 in my inlines since it came out..The purpose of my original post was to find out how it may work with paperpatched bullets.. given the need for tight fit... I was also interested in the need for any lube since BH209 leaves no "fouling" per se like blackpowder does.

johnson1942
03-30-2014, 11:22 AM
again it works with paperpatched bullets as i have 6 of them that shoot paperpatch and they all use blackhorn 209 powder. i use a fiber or poly wad between powder and the base of the bullet. i even use it i my patched .45 roundball gun.

Themoose
03-30-2014, 07:29 PM
With a gentle nudge from johnson1942, I just purchased a mold that should work fine for my paperpatch entry in muzzleloading... Thank you Roger.

TheMoose

johnson1942
03-30-2014, 08:55 PM
that was the buy of the year. its a perfect mould.

Pb2au
04-02-2014, 03:43 PM
I cannot speak intelligently about PP boolits.
I did monkey around with Blackhorn while I was tinkering with a Remington inline last year. In short, it does perform quite well. Surprisingly so I might add.
But yea, my affair with that inline ended and now it languishes in my gun safe, waiting for the day I quit being lazy and sell the crazy thing.