PDA

View Full Version : Winchester 94 .38-55 is a shooter

eka
12-29-2007, 08:03 PM
:-D I've been whining about my .38-55 Winchester for a while now because it has a slightly bulged barrel. I just knew this thing wouldn't shoot. I finally got serious about finding out once and for all. The rifle at one time wore a receiver sight, but it and the original rear sight were gone when I got it. So, I remembered I had a rear sight for a Marlin 1894 in the safe. It didn't work great (way too long), but good enough to see what was going to happen. Attached is one of my targets showing five shots at fifty yards. In all I shot four groups and they were all similar to this, with not a hint of any of the bullets being unstable. The mould was the group buy that Buckshot did a year or so ago.

Needless to say, I'm ecstatic about being able to keep this old rifle in it's original condition. I've got a couple of rifles that could benefit from a bulge if they would do this. :Fire:

Keith

KirkD
12-29-2007, 08:57 PM
Excellent! There's nothing wrong with that. The 38-55 is one of my favourite cartridges.

Buckshot
12-30-2007, 03:55 AM
..............Ha! I'm using that FATTY boolit in my new Uberti Hi-Wall too :-) It drops at .384" and I size to .382" with Lars Carnauba Red. I only have to barely touch the top half inch of the case with the size die, faintly flare and then seat. Best load so far has been with 23.0grs SR4759 + dacron. At 50 yards 5 rounds will punch out a hole a quarter would barely fit through. I have to test them out at longer range now, since they've repeated several times at 50 yards.

...............Buckshot

Le Loup Solitaire
12-31-2007, 03:05 AM
I am using an old single cav. Lyman # 375248 which with WW is casting at .379. and around 250 grains. I don't size it but lube it with 50-50 and shoot it as cast in my Winchester H-Wall with 27 grains of 3031. The combo groups at 1.5-1.75" at 100 yards w/iron sights and old eyes. Also use an old Winchester original mold with wooden handles marked 255 grains that casts a bit heavier and at .380 with the same charge, lube and shoot it as cast in a 94 Win SRC. Its not as accurate for target work as the Hi-Wall, but its a fun gun to tote around in the woods in case anything hostile shows up.

jjamna
01-29-2008, 11:48 PM
Looks good --I finally got my H&R target shooting like that.