PDA

View Full Version : Hoorah for forgotten stashes.

robroy
03-29-2014, 01:48 PM
A while back I bought 200 35 Whelen cases even though I wasn't working on mine at the time. TXgunut and 35shooter gave me the bug to get Bubba17 out and start it up again.100803100804.

I found 2 boxes of fire formed 35 Whelen AI brass and looked at my notes and it looked like they had been shot about 5 times so I started looking for brass to form into 35 Whelen so I could fire form some more. I found 40 pieces of Win once fired 30-06 and tried to neck it up with the RCBS die I had and no joy. The case necks didn't want to get started on the knurl of the expander ball. Nuts. After much grumbling about wildcats and brass availability in general and having to spend money I ain't got on shooting the @!$@#% thing I started rummaging in my brass storage hoping to find a few I just about tripped over 2 bags of 100 each. Brass for this rifle has ceased to be a problem.

Now on to the "onerous" tasks:kidding: of load development and fire forming.

jmort
03-29-2014, 01:55 PM
Love finding stuff I forgot I owned. Unfortunately, most of the time it goes back to a box or wherever and then I "rediscover" it again. Fortunately for you, it is something useful and being put into action.

williamwaco
03-29-2014, 02:07 PM
Great!

And this is the very best time of year for shooting.

Kent Fowler
03-29-2014, 03:01 PM
I finally found a LBT 160gr. FN mold I'd misplaced for 2 years. Sure was happy.

kbstenberg
03-29-2014, 03:10 PM
The wife is in that predicament.
We live in an extreme rural area. We had to leave home for 5 weeks for my recuperation from knee replacement. So our most valuable stuff was hidden. It is 1 week later after our return and she still can't find where she hid our savings books.

Ben
03-29-2014, 03:40 PM
robroy

Every time I begin " digging " around in my loading bench area, I find things that I have not seen in 20 years.

BTW....... A very nice looking 1917. I like laminated stocks.

That scope looks HIGH, is there a reason for that ?

Ben

robroy
03-29-2014, 08:24 PM
The scope is a Tasco World Class 6-24x50. The Warn rings and that scope were just on the shelf and will go back to the shelf after load development. Probably use something like a 2-7 or so to keep this one shooting straight.

Thanks Ben. One of these years I'll actually get a coat or 6 of finish on it.

35 shooter
03-29-2014, 08:25 PM
robroy that's a good looking rig. Can't wait to hear how it shoots. Always glad to see folks shootin the whelen!....sorry about giving you the bug thing.lol

robroy
03-29-2014, 08:32 PM
Don't you be sorry a bit. I had it built back when I had at least 10 hrs of OT a week. Now I'm unemployed and have time to enjoy it.

Bob Busetti
03-29-2014, 08:57 PM
I found a couple of boxes of 348 brass & some 219 zipper I had forgot about a couple of weeks ago. Was looking for some .224 bullets, found those too.
Bob

selmerfan
03-30-2014, 08:32 AM
I found an 8 lb. jug of IMR 4350 two days ago - I've looked at it for at least three years, "knowing" that it was an 8 lb. jug of Clays. Hoorah!

Garyshome
03-30-2014, 08:51 AM
I wish I could find all the stuff that's lost around here!

TXGunNut
04-05-2014, 03:58 PM
After much grumbling about wildcats and brass availability in general and having to spend money I ain't got on shooting the @!$@#% thing I started rummaging in my brass storage hoping to find a few I just about tripped over 2 bags of 100 each. Brass for this rifle has ceased to be a problem.-robroy

Glad I could help, lol. I've decided my next loading room project is a set of shelves in the closet for brass and boolit storage. Coffee canisters containing boolits stacked high on the bench and bags of brass piled high on top of the storage section is not working out. It's nice to find forgotten brass in that pile but sometimes it's after I order more, lol.

HiVelocity
04-05-2014, 06:50 PM
"Sometimes it scares me when I open ammo boxes I had stashed that I "thought" were empty."

HV

gwpercle
04-08-2014, 07:52 PM
Last week I got a ladder and unstuck a small high closet door, it is above a corner closet in our dining room, that had gotten painted stuck a few years ago in a house remodeling. Totally forgot what was in there, but could never get it open from the ground. Needed to pry it open.....then discovered two rifle scopes, 1,000 38 cal. cast SWC boolits, sized and lubed and a four pound container of Unique! Talk about a find...Now if I could just discover a few bulk pack boxes of 22 LR's , squirreled away somewhere, I would be set!
Gary

missionary5155
04-10-2014, 07:49 PM
Greetings
Last time we were getting ready to return to the good old US of A I knew I had stuck our travel money in a book but could not find the book anywhere. Wife & I looked all over and everywhere but it remained hidden. We got home with change in our pockets and hungry.
When we got back to Arequipa this time.. there was the book and there was the travel money. It was a very nice find as we needed it right away.
This time I have a note written where the book is and my wife knows where the note is. Have to love being over 60 and living at 8000 plus. Best excuse for forgetting I'll ever have.. till I reach 65 !
Mike in Peru

Wayne Smith
04-11-2014, 09:34 PM
Only fired 5 times? Time to anneal necks and load them again in my home!

robroy
04-15-2014, 08:28 PM
But I've only got 39 formed;-) and almost half of them have been made into action prooving dummies:wink:

35 shooter
04-15-2014, 10:30 PM
So the lighter loads did form the brass or did you use something heavier for that? Just asking cause i've got a bunch of 06 range brass to use in my whelen. It's not an AI , just straight whelen. I've got a load of 4759 going about 1400 maybe 1500 fps. That oughta do it hadn't it?

selmerfan
04-15-2014, 10:59 PM
Yes, that should take care of it.

robroy
04-16-2014, 07:29 PM
The brass I have formed is from jacketed shooting. I may try to form with boolits or I may just go with the fast powder and filler route. I was reading Ken Howell's[U]Designing and Forming Custom Cartridges for Rifles and Handguns[U]. He prefered fast powder and cream of wheat with bee's wax to seal up the case. I think I'm going to try polyester batting instead. I done highjacked my own thred.

35 shooter
04-16-2014, 10:39 PM
Yes, that should take care of it.

OK thanks! Read about it all my life, but i've never done it before. Since i got the whelen i've just used whelen brass, but have accumulated quite a bit of 270, 280, and 06 once fired brass from the range. OK...sorry for the side track.