PDA

View Full Version : CB load development questions

wnmGng
03-29-2014, 12:04 PM
I'm sorry if this has been asked and answered elsewhere but a quick search didn't turn anything up.

Up to this point, I have been loading pistol cartridges using manuals as gospel and have never ventured into load development, but since I've started casting I'm running into problems finding load data for specific bullets.

My questions are:
1. What is the best (read: safest) way to find a starting place with a new boolit or new powder?
2. Does a bullet design dictate a different powder charge if bullet weights are the same? ex; 230gr TC vs. 230gr 2r vs. 230gr SWC.
3. How does coating or lube effect the load, such as tumble lube or powder coating, as compared to fmj?

And last, but certainly not least, are there any good books to read on the subject?

Thanks in advance,
Justin.

62chevy
03-29-2014, 12:59 PM
A good book would be this one: http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm From Ingot to Target: A Cast Bullet Guide for Handgunners. You can read it online of download the PDF.

Scharfschuetze
03-29-2014, 01:35 PM
+1 on 62 Chevy's suggestion. That is an outstanding article.

I'd also recommend Lyman's No 3 and No 4 Cast Bullet Hanbooks (CBH). If you can find it, the older CBH No 3 has better coverage of pistol powders in rifle cases and a broader selection of boolit styles than the current CBH No 4.

While long out of print, you might also try and find the following:

The NRA's "Cast Bullets" by COL E.H. Harrison and it's Suppliment No 1

The Art of Bullet Casting by Wolf Publishing

wnmGng
03-29-2014, 01:42 PM
Thanks, I've slowly been reading Fryxell's book, so far it has been excellent but I haven't gotten too far in yet.

And I'll keep an eye out for the Lyman books.

jonas302
03-29-2014, 01:47 PM
http://www.castpics.net/LoadData/Main.html

you can usually find a very similar looking bullet of similar weight to get a start load start low and work up compare loads from every book you have don't forget the powder manufactures websights have lots of data then goggle it until your satisfied its a safe spot to start the start loads for jacketed can be used to compare to also to be sure your in safe territory remember some powders dont like to be reduced h-110 for example

HollandNut
03-29-2014, 01:47 PM
you can still find the good Colonels book , but I have almost given up on the supplement . I had both and they burned up seven years ago and readily found the book but not the supplement

jonas302
03-29-2014, 01:57 PM
Lots of reading here to including cast bullets and supplement http://castpics.net/subsite2/ClassicWorks/default.html

williamwaco
03-29-2014, 02:01 PM
Up to this point, I have been loading pistol cartridges using manuals as gospel and have never ventured into load development, but since I've started casting I'm running into problems finding load data for specific bullets.

You need this one. . . .

http://www.amazon.com/Lyman-Pistol-Revolver-Handbook-Edition/dp/B000KKCZOE/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1396116026&sr=8-7&keywords=lyman+reloading+manual

gray wolf
03-29-2014, 10:08 PM
Your post indicates that you want to be a safe Re-loader, +1 on that.
You also indicate a desire to read and learn, +2 0n that.
Your questions were good ones, a new RE-loader should want to know these things, and you asked in the right place and in a way that could be understood. Another +
I could answer your questions but I think you would get lots more from the reading,
lets take a guess, your loading a 45 ACP.
After reading a little more If things are still not clear someone will clear it up for you, at that point you will have a better understanding of the answers you will get back from the forum.
I wish I could see more post like this, and I expect to see you answering others questions in the near future.

GW

wnmGng
03-29-2014, 10:20 PM
Thanks GW, I've been loading .40 and .45acp for about a year, but havent really done much besides basically "copy and paste" load data from the books.

I've read a lot of posts on some other forums that make my head hurt, so I try to make mine as coherent as possible lol.

And thanks to everyone else aswell, I think I'll be busy reading for a while.

Jack Stanley
03-30-2014, 09:04 AM
There is a way to keep your head from hurting ........... don't read that type of post ;-) There are a good number of authors here that write very clearly about what they know . You don't have to decipher the text to understand what is being said .

And like the TV commercial of years gone by said .... "Reading is FUNdamental"

Jack