PDA

View Full Version : Better Range for Load Development

Themoose
03-29-2014, 07:49 AM
I've been working up some hunting loads for a couple of rifles in 44 magnum. I shot groups @ 50 yds first, then picked best looking for accuracy and next shot @ 100 yds... some groups showing minimal differences.. My question is would you recommend increasing the range to 200 yds to get a more clear understanding of each loads accuracy potential. I do not intend to shoot a whitetail @ 200 yds, but have killed 2 over 150... each dropping in their tracks with a high shoulder shot placement. I'm testing 270 and 280 LBT LFN's... haven't chrono'd them yet, but expect them to be near 16-1800FPS. I would appreciate your thoughts... I would like to test @150 yds ideally, but the range doesn't provide me that luxury.

Thanks,

TheMoose

Dan Cash
03-29-2014, 09:05 AM
After initial short range work up, I would take the target out to the anticipated employment range. If you are making 150 yard shots, that is where I would proof the load. If you are using a pistol, it seems you are stretching things a bit.

Themoose
03-29-2014, 09:21 AM
I'm using scoped rifles shooting from a bench... 150 yd range is not an option at the club range

Larry Gibson
03-29-2014, 10:55 AM
Initial testing at 100 yards for a rifle is sufficient if 7-10 shot test strings are used. Test the selected loads at the max anticipated range for confirmation of accuracy.

Larry Gibson

bobthenailer
03-29-2014, 02:41 PM
My method is if you can put 25 shots in a group not nessarly all 25 shots shot at the same time, that meets your accuracy requirments , that is real world everyday repeatable accuracy . I had loads that shot all 25 shots in 1 1/4 " but individual groups were sometimes as tight as 3/4" , i usually first shoot a 5 shot group and loads with merit i shoot 10 more if they still show merit i load another 10, to me thats a acid test for a load ! and i am confident in its use.

gray wolf
03-29-2014, 09:55 PM
I would try to prove the load this way,and this is just an example.
If I shot a 1/2" group at 50 yards I would expect a 1" group at 100 yards and 1 1/2 at 150 yards.
If I could repeat the 100 yard group at will then I would just calculate for wind and bullet drop.
That's with all the Planets in line.
But like it was said in the other posts the best way is to shoot at the intended range and know your hold overs or under for the other ranges.
The other way is to figure what the point blank range is for the kill zone you want with your gun and your ammo. Lets say the kill zone for the Deer is 8" then you need to know at what range will my bullet fall out of the 8" window and just hold dead on. Hope I didn't make it confusing.