PDA

View Full Version : Short Story of a S&W 627Pro

warf73
03-29-2014, 07:28 AM
I had all intentions of building a 358 Winchester this year but was talked out of it by the wife. She made a good point about how I've been wanting another 357, but something more of a target/competition piece. Since funds will only allow for one big gun purchase this year I chose a Smith & Wesson 627Pro 8 shot 357.

I've NEVER owned a Smith and Wesson anything in my short life (have shot several) and was very excited about taking delivery of it. Was so excited about my new purchase an ordered for a moon clip tool and 100 moons was placed.

Took delivery on 3-15-14 at 1pm and was at the range having fun by 2pm.
100 rounds down range later I was very impressed with the smoothness of the double action and how light the single action was. I left the range with a smile on my face Mike Tyson couldn't knock off with 2 right crosses and an upper cut. We had other plans for the evening so cleaning my gem would have to wait till Sunday morning.

Sunday morning I start cleaning then gun and really looking it over as I go. I noticed the crown has a big roll over bur.
Well after seeing that thinking OK I can still live with this as the gun did shoot well the day before. I run a wet patch down the barrel and notice a slight grab right before the jag/patch exited the barrel.
I examine it closer and find this. My forceing cone was total garbage and had a rolled over lip into the barrel.

Well after purchasing my first Smith and Wesson I start second guessing my decision . I almost bought a NIB GP100 SS but thought a S&W is really what I needed. Was thinking well you get what you pay for and at almost double the cost I'll be getting one hell of a handgun.

To finish up my story the 627 went back home to get fixed on 3-28-14. All I can say is I really hope Smith and Wesson takes care of me.

imashooter2
03-29-2014, 08:18 AM
It is sad that Smith is using its customers for QC these days. I have had a Performance Center version that I've been shooting in ICORE for a few years. After they set it right I'm sure you'll fall back in love with it.

HATCH
03-29-2014, 08:24 AM
that is why I only buy PRE-LOCK models.

dubber123
03-29-2014, 12:17 PM
That sucks. I hope they take care of you. You pay more to get a better product with less chance of getting a lemon, so it stings more when it still happens. If they fix it right, with no delay, I hope you will be happy again.

I had a gun from another company, with a much worse looking barrel than that, it looked like the reamer had broken in the bore during manufacture. I sent it back, it returned with a big scratch, a dent, and a note stating they found it "within specifications". Impressive.

osteodoc08
03-29-2014, 12:43 PM
I had a 586 I bought new that had to go back for several small reasons and one major being light primer strikes. They fixed everything to my liking the first time around. now it is loaned out to my mother for night stand duty.

I'm confident they will fix it as well. Just be sure to look it over well and document even the minutia for them to fix, even if it's as simple as the trigger pull.

Love Life
03-29-2014, 02:09 PM
That is why the only "new" S&W revolvers I buy were all made in the 50's, 60's, and 70's.

waco
03-29-2014, 02:38 PM
LL

just curious as to why you lost the avatar???

cuzinbruce
03-29-2014, 03:46 PM
Sorry about the bad experience. If it is any consolation, check the S&W forum. A dealer told me he sold one of the Scandium frame jobs and the customer brought it back cause the frame cracked. They wanted that one back ASAP. And I am not anti- S&W. I have quite a few. Actually, the older they are, the better made. But then, I am a Neanderthal that thinks the 1905 Hand Ejector has never been improved on. On the positive side, their common stock price has done pretty well the last couple years. So I am sure they can afford to take care of you.
In your last picture, I am not sure what happened. Is there a barrel liner and something happened to it?
Bruce

warf73
03-29-2014, 05:18 PM
The last pic is a close up of the forcing cone and the rolled over lip into it.

OuchHot!
03-29-2014, 05:46 PM
I bought a new 629 prelock about 10yrs ago that had a very bad divot in the crown. I did not notice this until I got it home...the dealer took it back and exchanged it with no question. I have no idea how things like that can happen but I suspect S&W will take care of you. I sure hope so.

tazman
03-29-2014, 08:23 PM
Interesting. Let us know how it turns out.

ClemY
03-29-2014, 08:53 PM
I confess that when I bring a new revo home the first thing I do is clean it, then take it apart. On .357s I routinely clean up the forcing cone with a 5 degree cutter. I also smooth up as necessary the internals and often replace the rebound spring with a slightly lighter Wolff spring. After I get done, then it is ready for the range. My 627Pro is amazingly accurate, at least to me.

warf73
04-02-2014, 04:10 AM
Just an update, they received the package today so will see how long it takes. I'm hoping if all goes well I'll see it before Memorial weekend.

warf73
04-11-2014, 05:50 AM
Update,
I received it today, that was fast and so far everything looks good.
The parts list of what was replaced and what was done to it is incredible. They replaced everything but the frame of the gun, I mean everything including the grips (new ones are damaged old ones weren't).
They did an action job on it and it is smoother and lighter than before.
Only thing that has got me worried is the gap from the new cylinder to barrel looks tight (didn’t get the feelers out yet) no more than .006" probably closer .004" or .005” but I'll find out later today.
I plan on shooting ICORE, Steel Challenge and a few others so it needs to be able to eat 200~300 rounds before I need to worry about cleaning it.

Over all so far from first glance the gun looks great; basically how I expected it to look from the get go. I'll clean it and inspect, make sure my .358" boolits will still fit the cylinder and bore before I take it out Saturday.

Warf

Green Frog
04-11-2014, 11:02 AM
warf73, if your barrel-cylinder gap is between .004 and .005", you should be good to go... much closer than that and all that volume shooting in ICORE-type events might lead to normal fouling buildup being sufficient to start causing drag. I know that generally "less is more" here, but I think you may have gotten what you really need. JMHO, of course! ;)

Froggie

osteodoc08
04-11-2014, 11:38 PM
I'm glad they fixed you up. When I sent my 586 back, they did an awesome job