PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Question on load data

Jersey Joe
03-28-2014, 08:18 PM
Hi All...I'm new to cartridge reloading. I've been collecting components for a while and finally ordered a press. I was looking in the Lyman guide for a 45acp load. The bullets I want to use are a cast 185gr SWC. As far as I can tell, they don't have data for that bullet. The only 185 is jacketed. Does that make a difference or am I good to go? These are target loads so I will be leading on the low end. Thanks in advance!

Joe

Nicholas
03-28-2014, 09:04 PM
Jacketed and cast of the same weight will perform differently. My advice on getting started is to read and reread the information in the front of your reloading manual(s) and that comes with your press and reloading dies. It would not hurt to have an experienced hand to demo some of the actual process. Then stick to the data presented in the manual, preferably a manual with both starting and maximum load data. You may read about working up to a maximum load and reading various pressure signs. My advice is to use loads below the published maximum. If you need more power, get a bigger gun (another fun idea).

You can read a lot of "experimental" data on this site, generally from experienced hands that probably still have most if not all of their fingers and facial features. As a beginner you want to put safety first, follow manual data, and make sure you have the protocols for reloading in your noggin. You will have loads of fun shooting your own manufactured fodder.

dragon813gt
03-28-2014, 09:09 PM
Check the powder manufacturer's online data to see if a load is listed. Buy the Lee manual since they have more listed then the other manuals. If its not listed in either of those. I would have no issues using the jacketed start load and work up from there.

03-28-2014, 09:18 PM
The third and fourth editions of Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook list plenty 185 grain, .45 ACP cast boolit loads. Buy both of them.

Love Life
03-28-2014, 09:19 PM
I would just start 5% below the start charge for jacketed and work up.

country gent
03-28-2014, 09:40 PM
Look in diffrent manuals and online. start at min and work up to function and desired performance level wanted or maximum, which ever comes first. Go slow and double check everything when setting up the dies. Double check the powder measure and cases when done charging for double chargesd and no charges of powder. A quick look with a small flashlight into the cases will "tell the tale". Seat a bullet and check to ensure it chambers easily and fully. Check several of the first ones done saves pulling it apart later.
As to data you can get it online from powder manufacturers, bullet makers, component manufacturers, ect ect, but it is a good Idea to check it with a manuals data also. Some shops have manuals out with the reloading components for customers use also.

Jersey Joe
03-28-2014, 10:26 PM
Thanks guys. I appreciate the advice.