PDA

View Full Version : OT--worth and info on Trapdoor and RB

rockrat
12-29-2007, 01:20 PM
Was at a local shop and they had a Trapdoor for sale. It had 1873 on the lock, a rear sight kind of like found on an 03 springfield (Buffington-sp? sight?). Not much finish on the metal, but stock in pretty good shape, might have been refinished, hard to tell, not up on theses guns. Good bore, w/bayonet. Breech block has about .010 side to side play when open, maybe few thousandths when closed. Probably can get it for somewhere in the high 500's.

Second gun is a Danish RB. Was told it is a Husky 1867 in 45 Danish. Never heard of this cartridge. Excellent bore. Not much finish and wood in fair shape. They are asking $700 Any info appreciated.

Thanks

AkMike
12-29-2007, 05:00 PM
I can't say much about the trapdoor.. No clue
The RB seems a tad high unless it's cherry. The RB uses a cartridge similar to the 45-70. A touch bigger diameter and a bit shorter case. I wouldn't do it but a buddy used to shoot 45-70's thru his w/o problems.

scb
12-29-2007, 05:38 PM
FWIW in the condition you describe assuming all original they're going for about $700.00 around here.

floodgate
12-29-2007, 06:31 PM
rockrat:

I'd have to see the Trapdoor to comment on it, but a "shootable" TD is probably well worth $500. The breechblock is SUPPOSED to be loose, when open: they deliberately reamed the pivot hole oval, so that the pin doesn't take any load when closed and fired. The breechblock is trapped in place and cammed down between the "overhang" at the hinge and the "breeech-pin", the cam on the locking lever holds it down; and the hammer holds the lever closed once it hits the firing pin. The "Springfield"-type sight is the Buffington, and belongs with TD's made after about 1881; the "1873" stamp was only used on the early ones, so you probably have a "parts" piece there. Nothing wrong with that, if it is properly put together. The underside of the block may have an even curve to the cut-out on its bottom; if so it is an early one and may not be the strongest or suitable for other than mild loads. The later blocks had the bottom cut with a flat section between two short curved arcs, and are supposed to be stronger. Sorta like the early "low-number" Springfields vs. the later ones..

floodgate

13Echo
12-29-2007, 06:39 PM
To learn about Trapdoors go to this site and look around. Best set of information on these rifles on the web.

http://www.trapdoorcollector.com/

An original should have a square or oval cartouche on the left side of the stock opposite the lock and a P in a circle on the bottom of the wrist behind the trigger guard. A bit of wiggle in the block is , as pointed out, normal. There should be very little when locked close. A Springfield with a good bore can be surprisingly accurate.

Jerry Liles

rockrat
12-30-2007, 12:45 AM
The cartouche is there and quite legible. There is an 1881 on the block. Thanks for the link. I will check it out.

Kraschenbirn
12-31-2007, 02:01 PM
I load for a friend's Danish RB using shortened Starline 45-70 brass and unsized Lee 405HB boolits and it's a pretty fair shooter. However, the license-built guns were manufactured by the Copenhagen Arsenal, not Husquavarna, and if the one you're looking at is dated before 1870, was probably exported by Remington rather than built in Denmark.

Bill