PDA

View Full Version : Little Dandy Tips?

alamogunr
03-27-2014, 10:37 PM
I recently bought a Little Dandy measure from a member here. I've wanted one for some time but was always a "day late and a dollar short". Now that I've got it I decided to practice with it and also work up some idea how the rotors that I've got would work with some surplus powder I'm wanting to use.

The powder is designated #105 by Bartlett and is supposed to be close to AA#5. Using Ed Harris method in the Jan-Feb issue of The Fouling Shot(weigh 10 charges and divide to get avg), I don't come close to what the chart says AA#5 should be for the rotor used and didn't expect to. The problem is that AA#5 is a ball powder and this surplus is flake.

I'm guessing that I will have to try the limited rotors that I have and based on what they throw, order a new rotor and hope that I can get close.

The main problem is that throwing 10 charges multiple times results in more variation than I expected. For five iterations of 10 charges, I got a max avg. of 4.9gr and a min of 4.3 gr. This range is larger than I feel comfortable with. Is there a trick or a better technique to attain more consistency? Is this a weakness of the Little Dandy with flake powders?

I've kind of jumped the gun here. I should have tried "real" AA#5 to see what kind of consistency I get. I will do that tomorrow to prove to myself that the chart is close.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Sweetpea
03-27-2014, 11:08 PM
Make sure the powder is "settled" in the measure, and have it mounted... It seems easy to use it hand-held, but this will not help with accurate charge weights.

Making a weight that slides into the hopper is not a bad idea, either.

country gent
03-27-2014, 11:40 PM
Operate it as consitently as possible every time. A baffle might help also. I made a small lever for one once and the friend said it help also. As to getting exact charges, A slightly large drum can be modified with layers of tape in the hole to fine tune it.

EDG
03-28-2014, 02:31 AM
>>>Is this a weakness of the Little Dandy with flake powders?<<<

That is a weakness of flake powders in any measure.

Riverpigusmc
03-28-2014, 06:17 PM
Contact a member over at the Handloaders bench named Bailey Boats. He makes an adjustable rotor, complete with adjustment tool, for about 40 bucks. New rotors are now 11 bucks, so for less than the price of 4 rotors, I just use the hex adjustment tool, tweak what load I need, and I'm off.
He may be a member here too, I'm not sure

2AMMD
03-28-2014, 06:33 PM
I am not a very experienced reloader, but I have and use the Little Dandy because i started with pistols and it was inexpensive (then). May not help..but I get consistent charges with round or semi spherical powders by tapping the stand the measure is in lightly 2 times with a wood dowel when the rotor is up to fill. May not work with your powder...but worth a try maybe.
2AMMD

cuzinbruce
03-28-2014, 06:35 PM
There is a chart showing the different rotor numbers and what they will measure for a great many popular powders. I think it is on MidwayUSA and probably also RCBS. I keep the rotors for mine in a plastic shotshell box, MTM or something like that. One goes in each little compartment.

alamogunr
03-28-2014, 10:20 PM
I am not a very experienced reloader, but I have and use the Little Dandy because i started with pistols and it was inexpensive (then). May not help..but I get consistent charges with round or semi spherical powders by tapping the stand the measure is in lightly 2 times with a wood dowel when the rotor is up to fill. May not work with your powder...but worth a try maybe.
2AMMD

I should have tried something like that since I tap the handle on my Uniflow measure. I guess I overlooked that method because the Little Dandy doesn't have a handle as such. I'll try it this weekend.

Riverpigusmc
03-29-2014, 10:04 AM
Mounted mine on an old powder measure stand I had...had to grind it down so I could thread the locknut on. When I turn the rotor cavity up, I flick the hopper twice with a fingernail, flip the rotor down with authority and flick the hopper to empty the cavity. My powder throws rarely vary by more than .2