PDA

View Full Version : switched another muzzle loader to paperpatch.

johnson1942
03-27-2014, 07:52 PM
really like my .448 bore cast bullet muzzle loader as it shoots so well but i am partial to paperpatch and the fact it ends up a cleaner bore between shoots and easier to load and i can increase the powder load with out stripping out. got a push through .339 resizing die and pushed through .440 wraped and lubed with wax bullet to .339. shot them to day in my cast bullet gun with 80 grains by volume blackhorn 209 powder. kept going through the same hole at 25 yards and hit a squash at 100 yards. sorry cast bullets, its paperpatch from now on for this gun also. i bet any one who trys a properly patched and sized paperpatch bullet will never go back to anything else. the british fought wars with paperpatch and it never failed them. 800 yard shoots were not uncommon for them but was expected of them. try it, you will love it.

idahoron
03-27-2014, 08:36 PM
Great job!! I am happy to never go back. I like teaching guys to paper patch and see the look on them when their rifles shoot better than they have ever shot before. Ron

johnson1942
03-27-2014, 09:20 PM
the thing about this one is i resized down as you have talked about and it works just as good as if i patched it to the right size in the first palce. however you get to the right size it works. when i waxed the paper after patching, it went through the resizeing die with ease. groups opened up a little at 100 grains of 209 powder but at 80 it was right on all the time. about the same power as a 45/90.

idahoron
03-27-2014, 11:40 PM
I haven't had much luck with powder charges over 80 grains. I don't know why.

johnson1942
03-28-2014, 11:04 AM
i think with around a 400 grain bullet it is about max. but to be honest it is enough because after it flattens out and passes through a critter how much ground needs to be plowed? as you have proved it is very good at brings game down. i remember a deer i shot that was broadside to me with that gun and a cast bullet. it was 125 yars away. it went through the chest and two ribs stuck out like a swinging gate and the bullet plowed ground on a hill behind it. and that was with 70 grains. unless we are faceing grizzlys it well enough.

deep creek
03-28-2014, 11:02 PM
I shot a little muley buck two years ago with rons 450 grn pp 500 sw in my whites 50.Itwas head on at 125 yards center of chest . Bullet never slowed down out the hind quarter and plowing snow 90grns pyrodex p.the power amazes me!!

idahoron
03-29-2014, 01:31 AM
That lee 500 S&W bullet is just plain awesome isn't it? More and more guys are starting to use it. As time goes by more will learn. Ron