PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know what these are?

True.grit
03-27-2014, 05:29 PM
I have a few of these casings that I found mixed in with some 9mm brass. Does anyone know what these are for. see pic's.thanks

robroy
03-27-2014, 05:47 PM
Just a shot in the dark:bigsmyl2: but shotshells maybe?

Ubet
03-27-2014, 05:50 PM
Those are from Simunition paintball rounds. The paint capsule was held in the plastic mouth.]

Here is a link to their website. http://simunition.com/en/products/fx_marking_cartridges

True.grit
03-27-2014, 05:51 PM
Those were special cases for firing plastic bullets for training purposes.

Have you ever reloaded them? If so, is it just powered by a primer?

Ubet
03-27-2014, 06:04 PM
Not aware of any way to reload them. Because of the plastic most places don't want them for the brass, so only thing I've seen done is some keep a few as a unique item, but most just throw them away. The intent of using them is for force on force training.

True.grit
03-27-2014, 06:16 PM
Not aware of any way to reload them. Because of the plastic most places don't want them for the brass, so only thing I've seen done is some keep a few as a unique item, but most just throw them away. The intent of using them is for force on force training.
Ubet, thanks for the info I was going to throw them in the recycle brass bucket but though I should find out what they were first. Thanks for all the responses.

fryboy
03-27-2014, 08:06 PM
they have a lil plastic type 6 petaled paint fill projectile ( leaves a cool looking lil starburst impact mark ) they start out with the plastic tight to the case and it's crimped on ,no way i can think of to reload them ( maybe the 38 special could be cut down to a short 38 ? ) the semi auto versions are supposed to take a special barrel etc anyways so ...

Tonto
03-27-2014, 08:13 PM
Wonder if with the plastic removed if the swagers in the bunch could recycle these in an appropriate fashion? Or some clever devil could make a wildcat 9mm RS (real short)/BAW (barely a whisper). Just a matter of time.

Mik
03-27-2014, 08:30 PM
Yup, Simunitions. They are designed to be fired from a special drop-in barrel that will not chamber or fire a live round. Even from that barrel, the accuracy is dreadful at anything over 20ft. Trying to shoot them from a standard barrel would be even worse if it worked at all.

Are you thinking of removing the plastic to use the brass for live ammunition? Wouldn't the headspace be all messed up with the short case?

True.grit
03-27-2014, 10:18 PM
I new I could count on you guy to educate me on these things. I have (I think) about thirty of these. Willing to send to some one if they have something to trade. Let me know if you are interested.

pete501
03-30-2014, 07:31 PM
The range that I shoot at has a police practice range and they use these rounds for practice. I did find one that was loaded and fired it through my glock 19. Couldn't hit the side of my well house at 15 yards.

TDB9901
03-31-2014, 09:39 PM
A cute little starburst paint mark on top of a big red welt if you don't wear a heavy jacket... I've also seen them in .223.

freebullet
03-31-2014, 09:57 PM
Everyone is wrong, they are highly illegal nuclear rounds.

catmandu
04-02-2014, 12:32 PM
Everyone is wrong, they are highly illegal nuclear rounds.

They must be. I measured .05 mR/Hr so they must be........:)

Paul in WNY

Epd230
04-02-2014, 01:17 PM
They will leave a permanent scar when hit on unprotected skin.

The 223 ones can put a hole in drywall at close range.

Actually, the 223 is nothing compared to the fully automatic MP5 when you get lit up with that.

They serve as immediate notification that you did something tactically wrong!