PDA

View Full Version : suggestions on PID ..

mike in co
03-27-2014, 02:44 PM
i have read several of the posts. had the equipment at one time but now need to start over.
will be running an rcbs pro melt.....

what works for reasonable costs, reasonable assembly, if power suppies work as housings, i may have access to some.

thanks

JASON4X4
03-27-2014, 03:16 PM
I bought the paid with relay off eBay along with the probe I had a box wire and ploughs already I have about $45 in mine

Walter Laich
03-27-2014, 06:17 PM
I built one using the info on the sticky above. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?115724-Project-PID-on-Lee-Pro-4-20-furnace
Here is a short report/pictures of the finished product: http://home.comcast.net/~walterlaich/pid.htm
I'm running mine on the RCBS Pro Melt and don't have any problems or concerns with it

dikman
03-28-2014, 01:38 AM
Mike, if you want cheap, I built one for about $20 (PID, 25A SSR and K Probe from ebay). The PID is a REX C100 (cheapest PID you'll find). The only problem with this PID is that most are usually relay outputs, however this is pretty easy to fix - just open up the PID, de-solder the relay and solder in two jumper wires on the PC board to connect the coil inputs to the output connections. If you can't do it then if you can find a friend who dabbles in electronics they should be able to do it for you, it really is easy. It will then drive an SSR.

The rest of the stuff I had lying around - case, power switch, rear power socket. The case, by the way, can be anything you've got that's suitable, as Walter has demonstrated (nice write-up, Walter).

At the moment I'm running an XMT800 PID on my Pro-Melt. This one cost a bit more (twice the price of the REX PID) but is an SSR output and works well. Oh, one thing about these two PID's, they only read in Celsius, not Fahrenheit. I don't consider this a problem, as once a conversion table is made then it's easy to set the temp. Besides, once it's working you're unlikely to be changing it much anyway.

These bits were all bought out of Hong Kong, which is why they were cheap, but if you're like some and only want to source your stuff from the US then it will probably cost you more (even though they're coming from the same source as the HK/China stuff).

I guess it can be as cheap as you want (me [smilie=1:) or as expensive as you want.

hermans
03-30-2014, 04:21 PM
dikman, got a REX C100 last week, and guess what.....it was already modified to drive the SSR directly, they even put a resistor in series with the output to act as a current limiter in case of a short!
So the I agree 100% with you, get a REX C100 off Ebay, some sellers throw in the SSR and a K type probe as well, this is exactly what I am using on my Pro-Melt, works like a dream.

dikman
03-30-2014, 05:36 PM
Thanks hermans, great info. I didn't think of a series resistor (doh!), I don't suppose you noticed the value they used?

MrWolf
03-30-2014, 09:52 PM
Mike in Co - I just built one this weekend based on the various posts and equipment recommendations. Just need to screw them down in the computer power supply case that I used. I only tested it by holding the coupler in my hand and watching the temp rise. If I can do it anyone can as me and that type of electronics don't mix. I will also be using mine with a Pro Melt. Good luck.

mike in co
04-02-2014, 04:29 PM
i ordered from the list posted off amazon, and its here..
thinking of a power supply for a box...set under the pot....
i normally set my promelt on a sideways 50 cal ammo can for better height.
thinking to build a solid vented shelf/box to sit the pot on and put the controller in side the vented box.