PDA

View Full Version : Is lead oxide abrasive?

47redwillys
03-27-2014, 02:39 PM
I have some ammo that I obtained that must have been stored for a long time in a garage. It has to be old--some of it has a price sticker from K-mart. The lead nose of some has oxidation on it. I know most oxide is abrasive, or I think it is, so my question is will it hurt my firearms if I shoot it?

Thanks,

runfiverun
03-27-2014, 09:29 PM
lead oxide is abrasive I bet it wipes off with a rough rag though or some steel wool.
a little mineral spirits might help things along.
if they are loaded rounds I'd wipe em down, if they are just the boolits I'd remelt them and do a proper reduction of the oxides.

don't breathe the dust, or lick the boolits.

Clay M
03-27-2014, 11:58 PM
Stored bullets can oxidize over time. I wonder if there is any coating that would prevent oxidation? I know powder coating,but that is not what I am talking about.

waco
03-28-2014, 12:46 AM
lead oxide is abrasive I bet it wipes off with a rough rag though or some steel wool.
a little mineral spirits might help things along.
if they are loaded rounds I'd wipe em down, if they are just the boolits I'd remelt them and do a proper reduction of the oxides.

don't breathe the dust, or lick the boolits.

Don't lick the boolits?????.....Party pooper......

Pb2au
03-28-2014, 08:59 AM
Just wipe off the offending oxide and go for it.
As for licking your fingers, it reminds me of what a fellow told me once. It was the three rules of being a plumber.
1) "stuff" rolls downhill.
2) don't lick your fingers.
3) payday is on Friday.

47redwillys
03-28-2014, 10:38 AM
OK, Thanks guys.

pirkfan
03-28-2014, 07:58 PM
Might be an argument for tumble lubing....alox was designed as a rust preventative....if it keeps iron from oxidizing, probably keeps lead from oxidizing too, plus if you use the 45-45-10, the JPW certainly won't hurt either

redgum
03-29-2014, 10:57 AM
Stored bullets can oxidize over time. I wonder if there is any coating that would prevent oxidation? I know powder coating,but that is not what I am talking about.
I have successfully kept oxidisation at bay by dipping ingots into a soapy water solution, which dries an leaves a thin film on them. Perhaps this would work with boolits also?

runfiverun
03-29-2014, 12:15 PM
no reason why it wouldn't.
you just need to keep air away from the,, well whatever you are trying to keep air away from.

bangerjim
03-29-2014, 12:34 PM
Use a diluted (4X) solution of LLA. Dip boolits in. It will dry eventually (!) and offer oxidization protection. And mabe even a little lube?????

Any clear finish will work (lacquer/shellac) but probably leave something behind in the barrel.

As said, use some 0000 steel wool to remove oxide. Wet with paint thinner to keep dust down (very toxic).

banger

swheeler
03-29-2014, 01:02 PM
Throw them in the tumbler for a few minutes, oxidation will be gone and noses will be dark grey.

bangerjim
03-29-2014, 06:37 PM
Throw them in the tumbler for a few minutes, oxidation will be gone and noses will be dark grey.

BUT......watch the dust from the tumbler media! Loaded with the same lead oxide dust you are trying to avoid. If you do dry or wet tumbler method, throw out the media.

banger

swheeler
03-29-2014, 06:40 PM
BUT......watch the dust from the tumbler media! Loaded with the same lead oxide dust you are trying to avoid. If you do dry or wet tumbler method, throw out the media.

banger

You have to watch the dust from tumbling brass because of the lead from primers, lead styphnate I believe is used in most.

Clay M
03-29-2014, 08:15 PM
So lead Oxide on bullets is usually black or dark grey? I have some bullets I cast and lubed about four or five years ago and there are spots of soft black on the bullets were the lube is. Looks almost like mildew. Not sure if it is oxidized lead or something else.

bangerjim
03-29-2014, 11:29 PM
You have to watch the dust from tumbling brass because of the lead from primers, lead styphnate I believe is used in most.

That is a given. Hopefully EVERYBODY that dry tumbles already realizes that any of the dust is extremely toxic. I always do tumbling outside with a big fan blowing across my work area when dumping my vib tumbler.

Add to that the lead oxide from the old boolits and you have a real toxic cocktail!

banger

swheeler
03-29-2014, 11:42 PM
So lead Oxide on bullets is usually black or dark grey? I have some bullets I cast and lubed about four or five years ago and there are spots of soft black on the bullets were the lube is. Looks almost like mildew. Not sure if it is oxidized lead or something else.

White or real light grey

.22-10-45
03-30-2014, 12:02 AM
I moly-coat (NECO) .22 & 6mm cast. I have noticed there is no oxidation formed on these bullets..though I do a final carnuaba wax coat over the moly. One thing I do know..don't store lead bullets in oak boxes..something about that wood will oxidize them in a matter of months.