PDA

View Full Version : Which way?

histed
03-26-2014, 07:55 PM
Got the handles for my Lee 6 cavity this evening. Different times on here I've seen that these should be preheated (no problem) then cast one cavity, two cavities... about 10 per until you're casting all 6 so as to heat the mold properly and keep from breaking the sprue cutter. So, is it best to start at the handles and cast out or start at the other end and work back toward the handles? Does it matter? Just trying to avoid the broken lee mold club, so thanks for the advice.

zuke
03-26-2014, 08:30 PM
I set mine across the pot till it's ready to pour then judt fill'er up and let it sit for a couple second's, next pour let it sit for about a minute to heat up the mold and so on till I have keeper's.

tazman
03-26-2014, 08:37 PM
I start at the end of the mold the spru cutter hinge is on, away from the handles. You have more leverage that way. I usually start with 3 as I lay my mold across the top of the lead pot until the lead is up to temp. I usually do this about 3 times then go up to 4 or 5 for three times if it was easy to open the mold. Then go full 6.
It is always best to preheat the mold as best you can.

runfiverun
03-26-2014, 10:08 PM
the end away from the handles.
you have a little more leverage this way.
I have an 11 cavity 22 cal core mold and even when warmed up I have to do the 3-4-5-6-8-11 thing, otherwise even those little things are hard to cut.

tazman
03-26-2014, 11:29 PM
the end away from the handles.
you have a little more leverage this way.
I have an 11 cavity 22 cal core mold and even when warmed up I have to do the 3-4-5-6-8-11 thing, otherwise even those little things are hard to cut.

That's a lot of boolits at once! Who manufactured the mold?