PDA

View Full Version : How many use the Lyman M die?

50/50
03-26-2014, 05:06 PM
How many of you folks use the Lyman M die, and is it really that much better in preparing the case? Thanks.

angus6
03-26-2014, 05:14 PM
I use it after trimming with the RT1200, then a tumble and start loading

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
03-26-2014, 05:42 PM
50/50,

Your going to get some different opinions on that subject.

For bottle neck cartridges and cast boolits, I like the "M" die.

For straight wall cases there is seldom anything needed other then the typical 3 die set.

Have tried other items and crimpers, but most have been a waste of my money. Just properly adjust the three die set and go for it.

Just ordered 2 of the Lyman "M" dies in 30caliber. One for me and one for a son.

For jacketed bullets in a bottle neck case again, a properly adjusted die set, in this case a full length 2 die set is all that is needed.

In the case of bottle neck 2 die sets, "properly adjusted" does not necessarily mean adjusted as per the manufactures instructions.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Smoke4320
03-26-2014, 05:43 PM
in short yes .. for Bottleneck cartridges ...There are other ways .. but the M die is fast and simple to use "IF" it fits your bullet size .. I think its buckshot on here that makes custom M die plugs if you need a different size

TNsailorman
03-26-2014, 09:23 PM
I use the "M" die both for cast in bottleneck cases and to up the case neck size when I am reforming 30-06, 270 and 25-06 cases to make 8x57 cases. Works for me, james

texassako
03-26-2014, 09:27 PM
Lots of opinions were just posted over here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?235574-Are-you-a-fan-of-the-M-die

smoked turkey
03-26-2014, 09:55 PM
I really like my short and long die versions. I have a number of different spuds for the calibers I load cast for. I know for certain that the inside diameter is right for proper neck tension if I have done my part at the bore slugging and sizing operations. Just today I tried a tip I read in the black powder cartridge section and it seemed to work just fine. I used my short die body with the 45R spud set just right to compress the black prior to loading a boolit. I have not decided if I will buy a dedicated compression die or try to procure another die body and 45R so I can leave it set up for 45-70.