PDA

View Full Version : D&T Mauser action for both scope and reciver sight

Hackleback
12-29-2007, 01:17 AM
Just purchased a Wheeler Enginering Reciever Drill and Tap Fixture and before I start making holes, I have a couple of questions...

The action in question is a Yugo 48 that I intend to rebarrel to 7x57. What I would like to do is D&T the action so it can be set up with both a scope mount and a reciever sight. Can this be done? The area of concern is the rear bridge since with this jig the 4th hole is too far rearward and is off the action. It appears to me that if I go this route, I will need to use 2 pc bases and may have to contour (grind) the charging hump.

Maybe I am just over thinking the whole thing......

If you have done work like this, your insight would be helpful.

Thank you

No_1
12-29-2007, 06:52 AM
You can never overthink something that can be ruined by not thinking enough. That said, your thinking is right on. You have a few choices. To keep things in line, I would add another pilot hole in the drilling fixture just forward of the hole line up on the rear of the reciever. This hole will have to be pretty precision and on the correct spacing to accomodate the rear scope mount. You are using a drill press right? Don't try to eyeball it because Murphy's Law will step in and spank you....

Grinding down the charging hump is no problem either. Use your prefered method to get it close then carefully use a file to finish it up. Take your time here as the finished product will determine alignment. Keep in mind the rear receiver ring is / may be smaller than the front receiver ring. This means it will require different mounts as the rear one will have to be taller.

If you can find a 1 piece mount it will be more straight forward. Possibly being able to drill the front 2 holes and 1 of the rear holes with the fixture, mount the mount then use a drill bushing in the mount to drill the remaining hole.

Be careful about pushing the mount forward to gain spacing for the reciever site. Also be careful about depth of the screw holes. Rule of thumb is you only need a depth that is equal to the diameter of the fastening screw. The rear bridge is not that big a deal to drill thru but the front is a different story.

You may find the receiver very hard to drill and tap because of the heat treatment. Again, take your time and use cutting fluids.

Ask more questions if you need,

R.

Char-Gar
12-29-2007, 12:42 PM
I have not worked on a Yugo Mauser, but in the back of my mind, I seem to remember they are shorter than standard length. That will explain why your rear hole is off.

But...Here is my advise..If is worth what you paid for it..Which is zero!

1) Get rid of that damn jig and get your money back. You don't need it.
2) Use the money from the jig to buy a machinist clamp and a 3 to 4 inch machinst square. The "double square" that incorporates a level is the very best for this work.
3) The scope base and receiver sight base ARE your jigs.
4) Clamp the scope base or receiver sight base on the receiver making certain it is center,level and plum by using the square/level across the bottom flat of the receiver as an orientation point.
5) level the base on the drill press table under the chuck
6) Use a drill bit with a shank that is a slip fit in the base hold and put it in the chuck shank down and align the hole so the drill shank enters without binding.
7) Turn the drill bit around and with the press running at slow speed (about 400 rpms), just touch the point to the receiver through the base to give a crater/spot for the next drill to center.
8) Insert your tap drill and using plenty of lube drill your hole
9) Now tap that hole, insert a screw and tighten it down.
10) Remove the clamp, make certain the base is still straight, plum and lever and repeat for the next hole.

The above adds a few steps and time to what most folks do, but you won't end up with a base that is off from where it needs to be..there will be no "Oh S*&^" moments. If I was doing allot of this stuff where time was money, I might come up with a few short cuts, but for my own work, on my own guns..slow..easy and careful is the name of the game.

Now as to whether or not you can mount a receiver sight and scope mount on the same rifle depends on the rifle, the receiver sight and scope mount. The scope mount and receiver sight maker don't make their products so you can do that.

You might have to do a little grinding on both or either of the bases to make it work. You just have to get all the stuff together and see how it works. Don't start drill holes until you know where you are going with the project. If you can do it, it won't be a simple "bolt on" project. You will have to do some modifications on the stock parts. I really an not sanguine that it will work out well for you.

If I really wanted to do that I would haunt Ebay until a used Griffin and Howe or Yeager lever side mount (scope) came up for sale. With those mounts, you can remove the scope leaving the base on the side of the receiver leaving the top of the rear reciever ring nice and clean for a peep sight set up.

Mauser receivers are pretty easy to D &T. A good sharp HS drill bit will go through like butter.

Be careful drilling the holes on the front receiver ring. You won't want to go through the ring into the barrel. You run the risk of not being able to remove the barrel without twisting the action if you do. Of course if you really get carried away and drill into the chamber that is a whole new problem. I can't see how anybody could do that unless they are sleep walking while doing the work, but it does happen.

D & T is always easier on a stripped receiver with no barrel.

Don't let any of this discourage you, this is very easy and basic work to do. It is lesson No. 1 in basic machine shop. Any 10 year old of normal intellect can do the work.

redneckdan
12-29-2007, 08:00 PM
yugos are shorter. I'm not aware of any one peice bases for that action.

Hackleback
12-30-2007, 11:49 PM
After some pondering and some inpput fron this and other sites, I have come to the conclusion that twp piece bases are the way to go. With a bit of extra layout, I can make them work.

The Yugo 48 is considered an intrmediate action that is a bit shorter that the standard lenght military action. These actions will not work in standard action stocks, but I am carving up a mil stock that came with the action.

I do not think that this project is hard but since this is the first time that I have done this type of project so the learning curve is a bit steep. I would rather ask a bunch of questions than learn the hard way.

Thanks for the input.