PDA

View Full Version : Purpose of Ruger #1 in 338 Win Mag

osteodoc08
03-26-2014, 03:33 PM
Dad left me with a Ruger #1 in 338 Win Mag. It's fairly accurate for a deer gun, but nothing to really get too excited over. Other than a hunting single shot, what other purpose would this gun serve? I dont see it as a "serious" hunting rifle as its a single shot. I don't consider it a target gun due to mediocre accuracy. I dont consider it a fun gun due to amount of recoil, unless I'm in need of an attitude adjustment and want some shoulder punishment. I'm not going to alter it as in rebarrel or major work, nor am I gonna sell it. Where would this fit in my collection other than as an oddity?

Doc_Stihl
03-26-2014, 03:36 PM
Sounds like a really good project to make a cast shooter. 300gr @ 1500 fps would be good deer medicine and easy on recoil.

I routinely hunt with a single shot. My wife hunts with a single shot. If you only have 1 shot, make it count.

Tatume
03-26-2014, 04:08 PM
Hi Doc,

I don't see it as a "serious" hunting rifle as it's a single shot.

Two points, and this one is by far of the greater importance. As a serious hunting rifle the single shot is the superior type. I hunt almost exclusively with single shot rifles, and consider them to be the epitome of the genre. Although I own and on rare occasions hunt with repeaters, I find the magazine a hindrance and a source of unnecessary weight to be carried about. The only time I ever used more than one shot I was shooting a single shot rifle, and had ample time to reload and fire again with the cartridge I had in my shirt pocket.

My "African" rifles are also single shots, both Ruger No. 1 rifles, in 375 H&H and 458 Win Mag. I don't guide other hunters, so have no need of a repeater to fix problems caused by people who are simultaneously poor hunters and poor shots. And BTW, by my estimation, a good hunter does not really need to be a good shot. The best hunters will leave powder burns on game animals (I'm not that good).

I don't consider it a target gun due to mediocre accuracy.

In competition with excellent shooters using excellent target rifles, the accuracy of the No. 1 could be thought of as mediocre. However, for most competitions at the local or regional level, the No. 1 will hold its own handily, if wielded by an excellent shooter. Each of my many No. 1 rifles is more accurate than my M1 Garand, and the M1 is certainly competitive in high power matches. At Marine Corps Base Quantico I've used it in 1000 yard across the course matches, and it will consistently hold the 10 ring at 1000 yards. The No. 1 rifle is not allowed in these matches, as repeat fire is required, but from the standpoint of accuracy alone, it is quite capable of the same standard.

I suggest you hold onto your No. 1 rifle as a superb elk and bear rifle.

Take care, Tom

GBertolet
03-26-2014, 04:21 PM
I agree with Doc Stihl. The .338 Ruger would make a great cast bullet rifle. With factory ammo, it is overkill for deer, and would be better suited for moose, elk, or bear. With cast bullets though, at the 1500-1600 fps range, you will have a pleasant shooting rifle to take to the range, yet still adequate for deer at reasonable ranges. A good excuse to start casting, or make friends with someone who does.

Hardcast416taylor
03-26-2014, 04:29 PM
Sounds like you have neither tried cast boolets thru the Ruger nor have much experience with a single shot rifle period. I would get ahold of some cast boolets or get a mould and make some, as an example RCBS 200 gr. or LEE 230 gr. besides a loading manual for loading them. If jacketed bullets is all you want to shoot thru the Ruger then use 200 or 210 gr. "J" bullets so they won`t give you an "attitude adjustment". These bullets can be loaded down to non tooth rattling velocities. I am speaking as an owner of a .338 Mag. and other larger caliber rifles and Ruger single shot rifles to qualify my statements.Robert

EDG
03-26-2014, 07:48 PM
osteodoc
Do you reload?
There is no reason to put up with the recoil of full power loads if you reload.
If you only hunt or target shoot now and then I can understand why you have little use for it.
Most of us enjoy plinking with most any rifle.
The fact that it is not as accurate as what you might like may only be a reflection of the ammo that you are using.

Dad left me with a Ruger #1 in 338 Win Mag. It's fairly accurate for a deer gun, but nothing to really get too excited over. Other than a hunting single shot, what other purpose would this gun serve? I dont see it as a "serious" hunting rifle as its a single shot. I don't consider it a target gun due to mediocre accuracy. I dont consider it a fun gun due to amount of recoil, unless I'm in need of an attitude adjustment and want some shoulder punishment. I'm not going to alter it as in rebarrel or major work, nor am I gonna sell it. Where would this fit in my collection other than as an oddity?

timspawn
03-26-2014, 08:13 PM
I'm shooting cast with Unique in my 338 Savage Hog Hunter. It is wonderfully accurate and easy on the shoulder at about 1600fps.

Mk42gunner
03-26-2014, 11:24 PM
I grew up hunting with single shot rifles and shotguns. To this day I do better in the field with single shots.

I can see the reason behind a repeating shotgun for doves (miss a lot more), quail (covey rise) or multiple ducks, either coming into decoys or jump shooting.

The only reason I went to a repeater (bolt action) for deer is that for several years Missouri let you buy as may antlerless tags as you wanted, and it is pretty common to see a doe and two of this years models at the same time. I still can't think of a single deer that I screwed up the first shot that a repeater allowed me to get.

With all that written, I have had some Ruger No. 1's that weren't quite up to snuff accuracy wise.

Robert

Jim Flinchbaugh
03-26-2014, 11:56 PM
IMO, single shots are the rifleman's rifle.
If you have only one shot, you make sure
it counts and that you are a capable hunter.
A fast second shot is rarely needed in MY
experience.

Idaho Sharpshooter
03-27-2014, 01:25 AM
I have a friend who takes his to Africa to hunt Dangerous Game. Everything but Elephant and Cape Buffalo and Rhino.

nanuk
03-27-2014, 06:29 AM
... I dont see it as a "serious" hunting rifle as its a single shot....

perhaps that is because you aren't a serious "Hunter"?

I have been using Ruger1 for 25 years... never let me down as a rifle and is an "under 2moa" rifle
by that I mean, day in day out, it will put the first, and if needed, the second shot inside 2 inches at 100 yds EVERY time.

When ever I have come home empty, it is certainly NOT the fault of the rifle.
It have been over 15 years since I've needed to shoot an animal twice.
my Ruger has taught me to be a better hunter... Seriously!

Petrol & Powder
03-27-2014, 08:06 AM
The single shot has a lot going for it. The shorter action allows for a shorter overall rifle or a longer barrel at the same weight.
The Ruger #1 is an excellent design - strong, compact, well made, dependable and very durable.

Good Cheer
03-27-2014, 08:16 AM

By all means, give cast a try. For fun if for no other reasons. The .338Win has more volume than you probably want but that's always better than too little! There should be someone that actually has experience with a .338Win chiming in here soon. My own .338 lever action project is on hold so best wishes to you for lots of fun.
By the way, my "go to" rifle is a modified No.3. For me the Ruger single shot is a thing of beauty, just the cats meow.

smoked turkey
03-27-2014, 11:22 AM
A couple of months ago I witnessed first hand what an awesome caliber the .338 Win Mag is. My son took a Browning A-Bolt to Africa in that caliber and made some amazing shots on plains game from mountain reed buck to Zebra. He was using J-words, but for hunting animals up to elk with cast the caliber would be almost perfect. I personally do not have any experience with the caliber but after what I saw I wouldn't hesitate to make a cast boolit shooter out of it.

pietro
03-27-2014, 12:45 PM

FWIW, my .338 Ruger #1 was serious enough to take a few Elk, Caribou, & Moose (seriously ;) ) - w/o any follow-up shots needed.

timspawn
03-27-2014, 12:52 PM
My go to hunting rifle is a #1 in 6.5x55. I also have one in 30-30 that I have not hunted with. I took a 338 to Africa (bolt action) and killed two Kudu, Impala, Springbuck, Mountain Reedbuck and a Fallow deer all one shot kills. So a single shot would have been just fine. I am taking my 338 Hog Hunter to GA this weekend to try and get my first kill with cast.

selmerfan
03-27-2014, 01:20 PM
Not to turn this into a derogatory thread toward the OP, but if you like to hunt and have never hunted with a single shot before, I suggest that you do so before you would get rid of the rifle. There is a special "something" about hunting with a single shot. I'm not sure if it's the challenge of not having a fast follow up or the pride of carefully choosing a lethal shot, but every animal you kill with a single shot is a mental trophy at the very least. I've been hunting with a single shot pistol for deer for well over a decade now, as they provide a HUGE advantage in "shotgun zones" where they are legal - I shoot a .260 Remington 17" MGM barrel on my Encore for Minnesota deer in the "shotgun zone" because it's legal - and I have no qualms about taking a 300 yd shot with a rest - try that with a shotgun or muzzleloader! If that .338 Win Mag were mine, I would hang on to it for two reasons: First and foremost, it was dad's - a beautiful rifle with a nostalgic connection to your dad. Nothing more is needed. BUT - it can easily be loaded down with jacketed bullets for deer hunting - think .338-06 or .338 Federal ranges - I'd start with IMR 4895, and it could make a very fine cast boolit rifle - a .338 boolit of proper alloy at 1500-1800 fps would be hell on deer and shouldn't be hard to get to shoot well - others would have more experience, but I'd start with Alliant 2400 or 5744. Don't get rid of it - I've got my Encore, a couple of SS shotguns, a single-shot Remington 580, and my great-grandfather's Stevens 44 1/2 originally chambered in .22 LR that I had a .30-40 Krag barrel made for. I still hunt with a .260 Remington Ruger M77 MkII if we need to fill tags and distances stretch out past 300 yds, but when hunting for pleasure, my single-shots get grabbed first. Repeaters = need meat for the freezer Single-shot = Pleasant, leisurely hunting that requires more skill in getting closer, choosing shots very carefully, and enjoying more satisfaction in a successful, humane kill.

captbligh
03-27-2014, 01:21 PM
Had a friend that owned the same rifle and he loaned it to me to use for elk hunting one season. Loved it! I've downloaded .338 WM to .35 Whelen ballistics and it makes a great deer rifle without a lot of recoil. Other users have highlighted the benefits of hunting with a single shot (shorter length, less weight, etc.) and the only thing I enjoy more is hunting with a handgun. Puts the "hunt" back in the sport.

BruceB
03-27-2014, 04:05 PM
Regarding the .338....

It may be the ultimate North American all-round hunting cartridge.

With the bullets now available, I could choose just ONE (namely, the Barnes 225-grain TSX) and hunt everything from deer on up. In actual fact, I have DONE exactly that.

Hunting in Alberta with both whitetail and elk tags in my pocket, I dropped a deer in his tracks at 300 yards at last light. That .338 225 TSX killed cleanly and I don't believe it wasted even a pound of meat. "Over-gunned"? Fat chance!

The accuracy of this bullet from my left-handed Savage 116 is phenomenal.... consistent SUB-1/2" groups for three rounds at100 yards. That's better than most of my varminters!

I have two #1 rifles at this time, in .416 Rigby and .303 British. I don't hesitate to hunt with the single-shots! I've even carried my .50-2.5 Sharps' after moose in the Mackenzie Mountains of Canada's north. Do a little serious thinking about how to carry additional cartridges before hunting, and do some practice at reloading the rifle.

Hint: Do NOT carry the extras in a pocket. Loops on sleeve, wrist band, chest loops... use imagination!

I'm left-handed, and carry extra rounds on the INSIDE of my right wrist. This way, the ammo is barely six inches from my trigger hand in shooting position.

Put your rifle in shooting position, and see where your "off" wrist is... you'll see why I do it this way. The second shot IF NEEDED is barely two seconds after the first one.

Tatume
03-27-2014, 04:37 PM
One round of ammo in the jacket or shirt pocket is the perfect reload for the gun that probably wont need a reload. Leave the bandoleers for the Frito Bandito.

BruceB
03-27-2014, 05:15 PM
I've never needed the second round when hunting with a single-shot rifle.

That does NOT mean that the second round will ALWAYS be unneeded. Murphy is still kicking, and there are multitudes of possible ways that screw-ups can happen. "Never say never!"

A round in a pocket is (forgive me) a Barney Fife situation... "Oh, just hold on until I get this here 'bullet' out, and into my gun...."

I repeat: with two rounds in a wristband on my "off" side, the second shot is only two seconds away.... I've timed it. Even if I NEVER need the second one, I've practiced for the worst-case scenario. This becomes particularly important either when one has multiple tags, or is hunting possibly-dangerous critters. I've been in both situations.

Nicholas
03-27-2014, 05:19 PM
I don't think I have every needed more than one shot on a deer. Good advice is to treat any hunting rifle as a single shot and then take the correct shot on the animal. As for the 338 Mag, Nosler had a 180 gr BT that could be loaded down to 30-06 equivalent velocities. As for Ruger # 1 rifles you have one of the best modern single shots available today. You shoot it much and you will want more in your battery. I recommend the 45-70 if you can find one, especially if you want to shoot cast bullets.

onceabull
03-27-2014, 05:46 PM
Another thought on downloading the 338 Win Mag.for comfort level or deer hunting purposes..I had obtained a box of the Hornady Leverrevolution .338 bullets to use in my Win.86 ExLight 33 W.--BUT a local BigDaddy Warbucks type decided he would rather have that rifle than a goodly stack of greenspans, SO now those bullets will tag along while elk hunting to take 1-3 whitetails for camp meet.thus saving the 250 Nosler partition loads for more serious application.. (Targeting 2000 FPS with those gummytips)--Onceabull

Tatume
03-27-2014, 08:15 PM
Frito Bandito vs. Barney Fife. :-) We should just agree to disagree.

By the way, I also hunt in a sports coat and tie sometimes, just because I like it. I wouldn't ask you to do so, but it reminds me of photos I've seen from 19th century Great Britain and Africa.

Take care, Tom

onceabull
03-27-2014, 08:37 PM
Sport coat and tie-! !-- add tall boots and short trousers, pretend you are T.R. ;-) onceabull

atr
03-27-2014, 08:38 PM
I hunt with a single shot ruger #1 (7x57) and I agree that the recoil, blast and muzzle jump is pronounced on the #1, even with a 7x57....it is not a very heavy rifle and the barrel is short
so I understand your pain w.r.t. your .338
if it were my rifle I would look for reloading information on reduced loads for jacketed bullets and I would certainly explore the cast bullet option.
and if it were my rifle I would get a scope with generous eye relief.....something like 4.25"

given the right load the #1 can be accurate..
good luck
atr

nanuk
03-27-2014, 08:59 PM
If I have time to prep for the shot, I'll hold another round in the fingers of my right hand (a la Seyfreid) so I can shoot, open with my left as the gun comes out of recoil, drop it down a bit, and slide the next one home, grab the forearm again, close the action, and reposition my left, and I'm ready to pull the trigger again.... usually takes me under 4 sec (I think, never timed it)

but NOW, I'm gonna have to look into a wrist band A la BruceB... in my minds eye, I can see the advantage.

thanks for the suggestion Bruce!

Good Cheer
03-27-2014, 09:17 PM
Mine is a No.3 rebarreled to .375x.45-70.
283 grains of wheel weights does just fine.
It's a hunting gun so the diameter was chosen for thrust and BC, not terminal splats seeing as it was already big enough.

BruceB
03-27-2014, 09:42 PM
[QUOTE=Tatume;2707277]Frito Bandito vs. Barney Fife. :-) We should just agree to disagree.

By the way, I also hunt in a sports coat and tie sometimes, just because I like it. QUOTE]

Tom, I'd bet that we agree a heck of a lot more than we disagree.

There's nothing whatever wrong with dressing-up a bit for hunting. If the weather conditions allow it, I think it's a flashback, or even a tribute, to when (some) hunters showed more respect for the game and the sport. I myself own an Orvis jacket styled like a sportcoat, with leather elbow patches and all. It's seen some days afield, too....and I don't feel a damned bit apologetic about it. It goes VERY nicely with my SXS Beretta shotgun.

It's just as you say...."I like it". I don't go as far as the tie, but I dislike ties intensely and haven't worn one in the last ten or fifteen years that I can recall.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
03-27-2014, 10:00 PM
I still remember the first morning sitting in the Blue Mountains of SE Washington with a RUGER #1, 7mag on my knees.

Since that time I have owned a number of those rifles and every one was a joy to handle and hunt with.

Currently that is a RUGER #1s in 45/70 which is providing me with enjoyment and pride every time we head to the woods.

The .338 if you hand load should be wonderful!

Use and enjoy!

Crusty Deary Ol'coot

375RUGER
03-27-2014, 11:23 PM
.338 WM in a No.1 is a SERIOUS hunting rifle. I have lusted for one for a long time, I'll get it someday.

Tatume
03-28-2014, 07:45 AM
I'll hold another round in the fingers of my right hand (a la Seyfreid) so I can shoot ...

I hope Ross Seyfried didn't claim credit for this idea. Finn Aagaard described the technique decades earlier, and he didn't claim the idea to be his. It was a technique used by culling hunters.

Take care, Tom

Tatume
03-28-2014, 08:00 AM
Jim Carmichel of Outdoor Life fame was a champion of the 338 Win Mag cartridge. He envisioned it as ideal for hunting the world. If the hunter is knowledgeable and able to select the right bullets, it is sufficiently large and powerful to hunt all the dangerous game of Africa. At the same time, and again with the correct bullets and loads, it is perfect for hunting deer year in and year out. Everything in between can be accomplished by a good hunter/rifleman.

I have a lot of respect for Jim Carmichel. He was one of the few gun writers who had the courage to show up at high power rifle matches, thereby putting his money where his mouth was. He was good too. There are others who will shoot publically, but they are not common. I respect them too.

Unfortunately Carmichel's dream wasn't meant to be, as bullets of less than 0.375" diameter were subsequently prohibited for elephant and buffalo in many countries. But the cartridge lives on in North America as a favorite among hunters and guides alike. It has never been the top pick, but it's always up there.

Take care, Tom

winelover
03-28-2014, 08:40 AM
My 338W Mag is a left-handed, Model 70 Classic in SS. I had Tom, at Accurate molds, clone the Lyman 338320----- it's listed as 34-201L-----does what I expected it to do in my 338 Magnum . Was looking for a reduced velocity load that wouldn't pound the shooter, but still adequate for hunting whitetails. I'm using 5477 or SR4759 at 1964 fps and 1900 fps, respectively, it casts at 201 grains with WW alloy. Just need to harvest a deer with it one of these days.

Problem is---I don't carry it out in the field, much. I'm a bow hunter first, then I switch to handgun during early rifle season. By then, I usually have my deer. Twenty-six inch barrels are unwieldy, especially up in tree-stands. Late, this season I took the 338W out when I sat in a ground blind. But, never got the opportunity to use it on a whitetail. Maybe, next year.

Winelover

cbrick
03-28-2014, 09:31 AM
I dont see it as a "serious" hunting rifle as its a single shot.

The single shot IS the serious hunting rifle but then I've never been a member of the "spray & pray" fraternity.

Rick

Clay M
03-28-2014, 10:51 AM
I am a big fan of the .338 win mag.It is a great all around cartridge for large game.They are not for the recoil sensitive shooter with full powdered loads.I love the Ruger #1,and if it shoots good I would hunt with it . I feel just as confident with a single shot as I do with any other rifle.If I don't believe I can make a shot,I don't take it.
Another factor to consider is that it was your dad's rifle.Someday you may regret selling the gun.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
03-28-2014, 02:13 PM
Yep, I made the mistake of selling some of my father's rifles. Dumb!

Now as many times comes up when discussing rifles of maybe slightly larger bore diameter or higher velocity, it soon comes up that someone wants to expound on meat loss caused by such calibers.

However, many times this has nothing at all to do about the size of the bore or the velocity, but MUCH to do with the integrity of the projectile or maybe better said the lack of integrity.

Well, if a person chooses some light for caliber bullet propelled at HIGH velocity or the cheapest thing they can find on the self in bullet quality, they are getting just what they paid for.

If on the other hand the shooter makes the choice to use ammunition/bullets worthy of the cartridge being used, this will not be the case. A bullet worthy of use in the .338 will be made with the integrity to survive the forces involved and will not be the cause of excessive meat loss.

In fact, many times with larger cartridges loaded with proper projectiles, The critters will die and do so with minimal meat loss.

As per extra cartridges being quickly available during single shot use, I have used a butt cuff to carry extra rounds and did so for years until needing to switch to a boonie or safari type sling because of arm and shoulder problems.

So, with hunting much of the time in conditions requiring layers of cloths which make a belt slide cartridge holder almost impossible to get to, I designed a wrist cuff that goes on top of the coats on my left wrist.

Works well, holding 3 extra cartridges in an easy to get to position.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Good Cheer
03-28-2014, 09:14 PM
I just use a cartridge carrier on my belt. Not slow at all.
http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy192/SNARGLEFLERK/R_zpsf80ebd9a.jpg (http://s791.photobucket.com/user/SNARGLEFLERK/media/R_zpsf80ebd9a.jpg.html)

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
03-29-2014, 01:40 PM
Good Cheer,

It would be, slow that is, if buried under 4 of so layers of vest, sweat shirts, coats with maybe a fanny pack belt around your waist.

The Wrist Cuff has solved those problems for me.

Have a really great day.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

crash87
03-29-2014, 02:18 PM
Dad left me with a Ruger #1 in 338 Win Mag. It's fairly accurate for a deer gun, but nothing to really get too excited over. Other than a hunting single shot, what other purpose would this gun serve? I dont see it as a "serious" hunting rifle as its a single shot. Not a serious hunting rifle? what in your opinion is? I don't consider it a target gun due to mediocre accuracy. Are you a handloader or shoot factory? Is it the gun? bedding perhaps? Barrel? I highly doubt it, but one never knows. Problems can be fixed. But what is mediocre accuracy to you and what do you expect? I dont consider it a fun gun due to amount of recoil, unless I'm in need of an attitude adjustment and want some shoulder punishment. If your a handloader, load it down! I personally have a serious hunting rifle in the 338 WM, but dont feel I need serious power or a 250 grain bullet for deer. A 225 hornady and a mid range load with IMR 4064 or IMR 4320, now makes it a serious deer rifle. I'm not going to alter it as in rebarrel or major work, nor am I gonna sell it. Where would this fit in my collection other than as an oddity? What kind of collection do you have? As to where it fits, how about, it was your Dad's rifle and it's right up there, as priceless, in sentimental value, for now anyway. If your like a lot of us our tastes change, I have a couple of safe fulls to reinforce that fact. I take it your Dad has past? So how about, take the rifle, he so thoughtfully passed down to you, and enjoy it as he would have. That is where it fits into your collection.
Crash87

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
03-29-2014, 02:54 PM
Well said Crash87!

"That is where it fits into your collection" So well said.

If I would have used that Savage 99 in 300 Savage or not is beside the point!

My dad died in 1960, I was about 17. I really wish and have wished for years that his rifle was still in my possession.

Hold on to that rifle, cherish it, the rifle I bought from the sale of Dad's Savage is long gone and I miss it not one bit, but dad's rifle ------------ well I did a really dumb thing!

Someone mentioned that the 26" barrel was sooooo long. Hmmmmmm? Do you realize that a RUGER #1 with a 26" barrel is no longer then a 30/06 bolt gun with a 22" barrel. That argument simply doesn't fly.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Hardcast416taylor
03-29-2014, 04:11 PM
I still have the old Savage/Stevens Model 25 pump 12 gauge my Dad had. For that matter it was the only gun he owned to my knowledge. I also still have the mounted deer head he had done after harvesting the 10 pt back in `25 up near Mio with that 12 ga. He passed away in `61, was born in 1888.Robert

osteodoc08
03-29-2014, 09:05 PM
Wow. I wasn't expecting this thread to take off like it has. Let me answer some questions:

I never plan on getting rid of it, as it has much more in sentimental meaning than $$$.

I typically hunt with a bolt action. I've never really given the No. 1 a thought in that regard. Perhaps I should.

Yes I reload and cast and everything in between. Again, never really thought of the 338 as a "casting" caliber, I guess I should give it a try.

It's straight from the factory and is a 2 MOA gun, 1.5 at best with select handloads.

I'll take all your hints and thoughts and look into casting and give it a try for deer season this year.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
03-29-2014, 09:23 PM
Good to hear osteodoc,

Now as I have clearly stated, I goofed big time when I sold my father's rifle.

However, be that as it may, I would have no qualms about attempting to fine tune it's grouping ability.

I know that there are those who say the #1 is hard to make shoot well, something I have never faced.

I have developed a way to bed and float the forend, and that is standard operation procedure for most of my hunting rifles, including any RUGER #1 I am privileged to own.

Guess from previous experience I'd be very surprised if that rifle won't come to the point of regular 1 - 1 1/2" groups with "J" bullets, and possibly with cast.

Hope you and yours enjoy that rifle for who it belonged to and his love and enjoyment of it!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Three44s
03-29-2014, 11:39 PM
The Lyman cast manual gives the .338 WM a very good endorsement for cast boolit shooting!

I have only shot one Ruger one in all my years .... sad but true and don't own one .... equally sad ...... no one's fault but my own!

The one I shot ....... I believe was a #3 ............ and ...........

........... it was in .375 H&H ......... fired twice ......... standing ........ the owner offered me more ammo ........ I thanked him and declined.

It was not horrendous ...............

........ but it was also not ............ "soothing" ........... lets say ........... LOL!

But I'll tell you ........ if such a combo came along for a reasonable price ........ I would not shy away!

That rifle would give one some confidence if one found themselves the desired dinner object of some unfriendly hairy critter!

I have a .338 WM barrel to try on Savage bolt guns ......... but have not gotten to it ....... I have a .338-06 on one of them ........ and have had just WAY too much fun with that one though! (Almost more than should be legal!)

Best regards

Three 44s

Good Cheer
03-30-2014, 10:54 AM
Good Cheer,

It would be, slow that is, if buried under 4 of so layers of vest, sweat shirts, coats with maybe a fanny pack belt around your waist.

The Wrist Cuff has solved those problems for me.

Have a really great day.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

It would be slow, no doubt! Likely as not I'd have my jacket unbuttoned.

Doesn't a No.1 .338 seem like it would just beg to have some paper patching?

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
03-30-2014, 12:14 PM
:grin: :grin: Yep Good Cheer, where you live it is likely to be warmer then where I live! ;-) :wink:

But I'll not trade ya. That would be as bad as moving to shake - n - Bake where the youngest son lives.

Was in AZ last of Dec. and first of Jan. couple years ago for another son's wedding.

HOT, YUKKY!!!!!! Hate it when my skin leaks!

Never tried paper patching but those who have, seem to think it is the way to go.

Have no need for those velocities in my 45/70, as it shoots real boolits :kidding: :lovebooli not those tiny little things they call boolits in the sub 40 calibers.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

rkcohen
04-21-2014, 02:43 PM
it sure sounds like you need to resolve yourself of this conflict.

with so many things going against it - i guess i could force myself to give you a hundred bucks to get rid of it and let yourself sleep at night!!

Good Cheer
04-21-2014, 05:45 PM
Boy what a cheapo.
150!

Tatume
04-24-2014, 03:18 PM
The one I shot ....... I believe was a #3 ............ and ...........

........... it was in .375 H&H ......... fired twice ......... standing ........ the owner offered me more ammo ........ I thanked him and declined.

It was not horrendous ...............

........ but it was also not ............ "soothing" ........... lets say ........... LOL!

But I'll tell you ........ if such a combo came along for a reasonable price ........ I would not shy away!

...........?

quilbilly
04-24-2014, 06:07 PM
I have an old TC rifle in 338 WM and had all but quit shooting it due to the expense then decided to try it with cast from the Lee mold. At 1850 fps it is a joy to shoot all day for fun or hunting up to and including elk out to 150 yards. The only reason I don't push the boolit faster is that the gun is "ported" so that any faster, the noise and blowback gasses from the port become unpleasant.

Good Cheer
04-25-2014, 03:29 PM
...........?

Tatume,
I once had a No.3 in .375 Winchester that was rechambered to .375 H&H. It was a tack driver but I got muscle pulls in my ribs. :rolleyes:

montana_charlie
04-26-2014, 01:21 PM
I dont see it as a "serious" hunting rifle as its a single shot.
I didn't change over to singleshot rifles for hunting until I got enough experience to think I was a 'serious hunter'.
I have two repeaters, a bolt and an autoloader, but they are both .22LR.

CM

mikeym1a
04-26-2014, 01:36 PM
I don't own one. I have always wanted one. To me, they speak of elegance. Trim, pretty, nice. Elegant. That is my appeal for one. mikey

Tatume
04-26-2014, 01:45 PM
Tatume,
I once had a No.3 in .375 Winchester that was rechambered to .375 H&H. It was a tack driver but I got muscle pulls in my ribs. :rolleyes:

One of my Ruger No. 1 rifles is chambered in 458 Win Mag. I call it the "Chiropractor." Another one is chambered in 375 H&H and is one pound lighter, but it doesn't kick like the "Chiropractor!"

TCLouis
04-28-2014, 11:57 PM
This is NOT a recommendation by any means, but 39.0 grains of IMR 3031 under Lee's 220 grainer sure does shoot small groups for me

GunnyJohn
04-29-2014, 12:50 AM
Hey Doc,

I would dearly love to have a number one in any caliber. I agree the 338 is an abusive caliber, however it is a true elk cartridge. I think the #1 is a classic and graceful looking rifle and if you listen to the guys on this site and find an accurate mild recoiling cast load you will find the enjoyment your father left you.

Nobade
04-30-2014, 07:53 AM
Doesn't a No.1 .338 seem like it would just beg to have some paper patching?

I have been thinking the same thing the whole time this thread has been developing. I believe Tom @ Accurate has some designs in his catalog just perfect for that.

-Nobade

Hardcast416taylor
04-30-2014, 11:48 AM
I have been thinking the same thing the whole time this thread has been developing. I believe Tom @ Accurate has some designs in his catalog just perfect for that.

-Nobade

My .338 Win. Mag. and my .338/06 are the reason I had Richard Doughty cut me a .338 mold meant for Paper Patching.Robert