PDA

View Full Version : Would You Like To See A "Growin' Things" Gardening Sub Forum? Here's How..

DougGuy
03-26-2014, 12:02 PM
Everyone who would like to see a "Growin' Things" sub forum, please take a moment and PM Trey45 in support of this request.

Here is a link to send a PM: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/private.php?do=newpm&u=9193

There are enough of us on here that grow things in containers, raised beds, enclosed gardens, it is a great hobby that most are eager to share their knowledge, photos, tips and tricks with those of us who are just getting started, wanting to learn, been doing it a while, so we need a place for this and I don't mean in the Cookin' Recipe's forum.

We could have a seed exchange, a place to trade live clippings, fertilizer/compost/emulsion formulas, etc..

It may not take off like gangbusters, but if we get over the hill and turn in enough requests for it, we can at least get a Growin' Things board started. After that, people will see it and it will get more posts and users but we got to get it started first.

Hi Trey,

In lieu of having gardening threads mixed in with the Cookin' Recipe's threads about cooking and recipes, do you think we may benefit from a new sub forum in Our Town called Growin' Things - a place to discuss gardening, planting and growing things?

There are a few on our forum that would certainly join in, myself included, with pics of their gardens, beds, pots, and crops. I would contribute a thread on raised bed gardening with lots of pics and I am sure others would appreciate seeing photo tutorials and essays on how to do things in the garden.

Your consideration is mucho appreciated, thanks!

Doug

Doug,

I have lobbied in the past for this exact same sub forum and was told there wasn't enough interest on the board. I have brought this PM to the attenton of the powers that be for reconsideration. If you know others who would benefit from this new sub forum please have them send me a PM and I will bring their message to the attention of those same powers. With a loud enough voice they might hear us this time!

runfiverun
03-26-2014, 02:17 PM
go ahead and post your thoughts/votes in this thread too.

Trey45
03-26-2014, 02:25 PM
If we do get a new gardening section, there are two possible places for it. One would be above in the sub forums (where The Chapel, Helping Hands, Cooking, etc are) the second place would be the seldom used "Outdoorsman" section. The only way this is going to happen is if enough forum interest is shown. You can either express your interest here in this thread or send me a PM which I will forward to the attention of the other mods in the STAFF section. The ball is in your court now dear forum.

sparky45
03-26-2014, 02:32 PM
Love to garden and that section would be refreshing and delightful, not to mention extremely helpful.

wnmGng
03-26-2014, 02:45 PM
I'd love to have it, I already got my PM in.

John Allen
03-26-2014, 03:00 PM
I know I would like a gardening section.

Hickory
03-26-2014, 03:05 PM
You can put me down as yes on a gardening section.

km101
03-26-2014, 03:14 PM
I think that's a GREAT idea!

SCOTT ARTHUR
03-26-2014, 03:17 PM
Heck yes! I love to grow stuff.

Scott

waksupi
03-26-2014, 03:20 PM
I don't see it getting a lot of use, being seasonal. I'd put it in the outdoors section.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-26-2014, 03:27 PM
I vote NO.

Yeah I love to garden, and I sure would participate in a gardening section, But I think it's just too far from the Theme of boolit casting. Plus, I can't imagine that there will be much participation except for 2 weeks in the spring and 2 weeks in the fall, and I think a couple posts in the recipe section during planting or harvest is a nice timely thing...but we don't need a section that will get used as much as a snow plow in Texas.

Maybe I'm just being grumpy because I am usually firing up my troybuilt tiller in the middle of March to til the garden...The Dang tiller is still snowed in :( It's 38º right now and feels like a heatwave compared to the last few weeks of weather.

I just took this photo of my garden while I prepared this post. There's enough icy snow in my garden to last 2 or 3 more weeks. It's gonna be a late spring in McLeod County !
http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/Garden3262014_zps6d35d9a4.jpg (http://s640.photobucket.com/user/JonB_in_Glencoe/media/Garden3262014_zps6d35d9a4.jpg.html)

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-26-2014, 03:29 PM
No....not in the outdoors section, no one will ever even see it there.

DougGuy
03-26-2014, 03:33 PM
No....not in the outdoors section, no one will ever even see it there.

Agreed.. Put it in Our Town and see if it grows..

Also, it wouldn't have to be limited to stuff you grow to eat, there are shrubs, flowers, herbs, anything you plant in the ground, flowerbed, old John Deere tire, or in a container.

Bullshop Junior
03-26-2014, 03:34 PM
We have. Outdoors section?

osteodoc08
03-26-2014, 03:45 PM
I'm fine with a subforum under our town. We do need to make sure we think this through though. I hate to see the board get cluttered with tons of subforums.

Trey45
03-26-2014, 04:25 PM
That's the whole issue is us getting cluttered with sub forums, especially sub forums that are not related to cast boolits or handloading. I lobbied for YEARS for a rimfire area, we finally got it and it's not exactly thriving, but it's not stagnating either. I also lobbied for The Chapel and got little resistance to it, that one was easy.
I agree with the waksupi, the gardening forum would see little use during the year, maybe a few weeks in spring and a few weeks in fall would see the lions share of usage, with smatterings here and there of how does your garden grow shots during the growing season. As bullshop junior illustrated, not everyone even knows about the outdoorsman section, which in my opinion would be the place for the gardening sub forum. I still like the idea of a gardening sub forum, but for as little use as it would get, is it really worth it? Especially when gardening topics have in the past been posted in both the cooking section, and our town.

Polecat
03-26-2014, 04:30 PM
I would like it very much. here we can grow all year long. Winter garden is the best no bugs, weeds, and not much grass. We put most of it in jars.

Marcduper
03-26-2014, 04:33 PM
Great idea! There is always something to learn. Can't wait to show you all my tomatoes.

Marc

crazy mark
03-26-2014, 04:34 PM
I vote no also. Hard enough to keep up with all the sections now.

dragon813gt
03-26-2014, 04:43 PM
This place already has to many subforums as it is. Leave it be as its seasonal and the amount of posts is minimal.

Old School Big Bore
03-26-2014, 04:45 PM
I vote yes, right next door to the cookin section.

DHurtig
03-26-2014, 04:46 PM
A gardening section would be nice.

Love Life
03-26-2014, 04:51 PM
I don't see why it's a bad idea. At least it would have dynamic subjects. To clarify: I vote yes.

Trey45
03-26-2014, 04:53 PM
You are all being heard. This thread has been brought to the attention of the powers that be.

Love Life
03-26-2014, 05:04 PM
Cool!! I like to grow stuff. Not only vegetables but flowers and stuff for the ladies in my life.

RoyEllis
03-26-2014, 05:29 PM
Another yes here, just not hidden in the "Outdoorsman" section.

square butte
03-26-2014, 05:44 PM
My vote is yes. I enjoy the garden talk. It's another place to connect with like minded folks and talk things over. Just like "the pit" - If you don't want to go there, then don't.

texassako
03-26-2014, 08:36 PM
I would like to see it and would use it, but it seems off topic for this forum.

waksupi
03-26-2014, 08:41 PM
So, we debated for months about a .22 and powder coat area. I can't believe this is even being debated here.

DougGuy
03-26-2014, 08:48 PM
My vote is yes. I enjoy the garden talk. It's another place to connect with like minded folks and talk things over. Just like "the pit" - If you don't want to go there, then don't.

Very well said..

I would like to see it and would use it, but it seems off topic for this forum.

A lot of the people that use this forum are very smart, highly diverse, and very interested in things like casting, hunting, reloading, gunsmithing, and you can tell that they are VERY dedicated to their craft, some to an intense level of perfection and precision. People that have this upper intelligence are often very spread out in the things they like and understand, so it's like square butte said, a place to connect with like minded folks and talk things over. It would appear at first that forums like The Pit, Humor & Off Topic wouldn't have anything in common with casting boolits either, but given the mindset of people like us, it fits in with our many diversities and our own individual qualities. It's from that area that a lot of good sharing goes on here, so to me, forums like Cookin' Recipe's goes right along with hunting and eating wild game, or just posting a favorite recipe that you think others might like also. Same with gardening. Lots of hunters like eating what they kill, and they like growing their own veggies and herbs to cook it with so it may be off topic for the boolit casting purpose, but some of this off topicness fits in quite well with the people that cast boolits.

Bullshop Junior
03-26-2014, 08:51 PM
That's the whole issue is us getting cluttered with sub forums, especially sub forums that are not related to cast boolits or handloading. I lobbied for YEARS for a rimfire area, we finally got it and it's not exactly thriving, but it's not stagnating either. I also lobbied for The Chapel and got little resistance to it, that one was easy.
I agree with the waksupi, the gardening forum would see little use during the year, maybe a few weeks in spring and a few weeks in fall would see the lions share of usage, with smatterings here and there of how does your garden grow shots during the growing season. As bullshop junior illustrated, not everyone even knows about the outdoorsman section, which in my opinion would be the place for the gardening sub forum. I still like the idea of a gardening sub forum, but for as little use as it would get, is it really worth it? Especially when gardening topics have in the past been posted in both the cooking section, and our town.

I have been here for long enough to know about the outdoorsman forum, but was making the point that its so rarely used, no one ever heard of it.

I vote No on the gardening forum. There are other forums gardening can be discussed in. I think it would just add to the spider web of sub forums, rarely get used, and just cost the side more space.

dragon813gt
03-26-2014, 09:21 PM
One of the reasons that some of the forums don't get used is because there are to many of them. I routinely forget that certain ones exist.

montana_charlie
03-26-2014, 10:00 PM
I don't care which way it goes.
I can ignore the new section just as easily as the other 39 subforums on this site that I already skip over.

CM

Blacksmith
03-26-2014, 10:22 PM
Seams to me that gardening is an outdoor activity just like trapping or fishing so the outdoor forum is the place it should go. If you care about it you will go there which is not hard since the link right below Our Town is to the Outdoors.

DLCTEX
03-26-2014, 10:35 PM
We already do a lot of discussing gardens and plants. Why not put it in a section of it's own. Yes.

koehn,jim
03-26-2014, 10:35 PM
I vote yes, I would prefer it to politics. If it stagnates than get rid of it.

Bohica793
03-26-2014, 11:04 PM
I vote yes. Living down south, I grow things all year long, so no so seanal for me. I imagine folks with greenhouses are the same way.

Trey45
03-26-2014, 11:47 PM
I can ignore the new section just as easily as the other 39 subforums on this site that I already skip over.

CM

And that's how easy it is. If it's not of interest, just don't go there, Charlie has it figured out.

2thepoint
03-26-2014, 11:54 PM
I vote yes, right next door to the cookin section.

I agree.....I think it's a great idea.

Sooner or later its got to stop snowing!!

OBIII
03-27-2014, 01:43 AM
I vote yes, and you already have my PM. As to the nay-sayers, Really, you would not be able to ignore a sub-forum about something that you have no interest in? As to seasonal, what about greenhouses, solar rooms, getting an early start on seedlings, etc. etc. I have been trying to grow tobacco on a few occasions, and am having basically no success. Why go to another site when there are people here with all the info I could probably ever need. Do we need a sub-fourm for everything? No. But reloading and casting is a life style, one part of which leads to self-sufficiency. Self-sufficiency means being able to feed yourself as well as protect yourself.

OB

square butte
03-27-2014, 07:26 AM
The connection or common thread between casting and gardening is self reliance. Plenty of folks here interested in self reliance

farmerjim
03-27-2014, 08:17 AM
I grow about 4 acres of vegetables as a retirement income, so yes I would like it.

Ajax
03-27-2014, 08:22 AM
I am new to container growing. So the knowledge i could get here would be welcomed. I helped with our garden when we were kids. But now I have to learn quick.

Andy

gray wolf
03-27-2014, 10:41 AM
We enjoy the benefits of growing our own food. I love to see things grow out of Gods earth,
For us we have found raised beds to be best for our needs.
I must say that Julie has taken over the task and I have to sneak into the garden to do my little part.
Not that i don't know what I am doing, just that it's like HERS,
and you know we have to keep Miss Julie HAPPY - HAPPY - HAPPY
Water boarding would be more fun than a wife that is not HAPPY-HAPPY-HAPPY
I vote yes on the garden thing, sure there is plenty of info on the net, but why not have it on our forum.
I doubt I can get in to much trouble in a gardening forum. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>?

blackthorn
03-27-2014, 11:10 AM
I will vote yes to this! While personally I have very little interest, I asked Gail if she would read such a forum and she said definitely yes. So a forum on gardening might get some of our "less than interested" better halves reading this site, and who knows where that may lead?

ph4570
03-27-2014, 11:11 AM
Sounds good to me. We have a 12'x20' greenhouse and several raised beds.

sparky45
03-27-2014, 11:19 AM
Sounds overwhelmingly YES!!

Love Life
03-27-2014, 11:54 AM
So a forum on gardening might get some of our "less than interested" better halves reading this site, and who knows where that may lead?

It will lead to sales in the S&S forum dropping by 50% over night.

John Allen
03-27-2014, 11:56 AM
It will lead to sales in the S&S forum dropping by 50% over night.

Love Life, you are right there bud!!!!

Bullshop Junior
03-27-2014, 12:10 PM
That just means brassmagnet will be able to relax a little but and have a little time to look at pictures.

Love Life
03-27-2014, 12:14 PM
That just means brassmagnet will be able to relax a little but and have a little time to look at pictures.

Gotta be quick to beat Ron!!

KYCaster
03-27-2014, 08:27 PM
NO!

This site is supposed to be about cast boolits. There's getting to be too many subjects to wade through to find the little bit of relevant material now, without adding another subject that has nothing to do with cast boolits. There are many other sites that cover gardening far better than a sub forum here is capable of.

Cast Boolits is widely recognized as THE BEST place on the 'net to get information about cast boolits. If you're as enthusiastic about gardening as you are about casting boolits, why don't you go to the premier gardening site to get the best information available on the subject instead of diluting the premier cast boolit site with irrelevant information?

We have a very diverse membership here. The broad scope of knowledge and experience represented here is simply amazing. If I want to find information on ANY subject, I can post a question in "Our Town"...."Where can I find info about.........?", and I ALWAYS get a useful response. Why do we need a sub forum for every subject of common interest? This is a CAST BOOLIT site, why dilute it any more than it already is?

I'm a gardener myself.....have been for many years. I have a few gardening sites bookmarked and often visit others looking for something specific. If I can't find what I want to know, I can ask the question on one of the sites I visit most often and usually get a useful answer. The forum you're asking for is already available at several different sites that cover the subject much better than a sub section here could ever hope to do.

Please don't take Cast Boolits any further off topic than it already is.

Jerry

camotruck
03-27-2014, 08:32 PM
I think that before I see a gardening section that may invite non shooting enthusiasts into our home I'd like to see a section for selling and swapping our own non shooting/gun related items. cars / trucks / motorcycles / atvs / survival gear. Stuff like that, With people I like and trust.

Camo

Blacksmith
03-27-2014, 08:33 PM
The connection or common thread between casting and gardening is self reliance. Plenty of folks here interested in self reliance

Self reliance same as trapping and prepping over in Outdoorsman.

DougGuy
03-27-2014, 08:36 PM
I'm a gardener myself.....have been for many years. I have a few gardening sites bookmarked and often visit others looking for something specific. If I can't find what I want to know, I can ask the question on one of the sites I visit most often and usually get a useful answer. The forum you're asking for is already available at several different sites that cover the subject much better than a sub section here could ever hope to do.

Jerry

There's always this:

CM

And that's how easy it is. If it's not of interest, just don't go there, Charlie has it figured out.

Bullshop Junior
03-27-2014, 09:46 PM
NO!

This site is supposed to be about cast boolits. There's getting to be too many subjects to wade through to find the little bit of relevant material now, without adding another subject that has nothing to do with cast boolits. There are many other sites that cover gardening far better than a sub forum here is capable of.

Cast Boolits is widely recognized as THE BEST place on the 'net to get information about cast boolits. If you're as enthusiastic about gardening as you are about casting boolits, why don't you go to the premier gardening site to get the best information available on the subject instead of diluting the premier cast boolit site with irrelevant information?

We have a very diverse membership here. The broad scope of knowledge and experience represented here is simply amazing. If I want to find information on ANY subject, I can post a question in "Our Town"...."Where can I find info about.........?", and I ALWAYS get a useful response. Why do we need a sub forum for every subject of common interest? This is a CAST BOOLIT site, why dilute it any more than it already is?

Please don't take Cast Boolits any further off topic than it already is.

Jerry

My thoughts in words!

.45Cole
03-27-2014, 09:57 PM
I have posted about thrips and not too many people knew about them. I think it wouldn't get a lot of attention, but there would always be somebody askin' for help. I vote yes, but to be pruned back if it doesn't get much traffic.
yea

Pb2au
03-28-2014, 08:40 AM
I vote yes. Gardening is a good thing.

C. Latch
03-28-2014, 09:11 AM
I could see this both ways. If a gardening forum existed I would be likely to post in it, but can easily understand why others (gardeners or not) would not post much.

I'll say this much: It's hard to imagine a meal more satisfying that venison you shot in the back yard with ammo you loaded in the kitchen with bullets you made on the porch, and side dishes that you grew in the front yard. Maybe we could rebadge an existing forum as the 'self-sufficiency' forum. Dinner pictures of home-killed meat with home-killed ammo next to home-grown veggies would be a lot of fun.

reloader28
03-28-2014, 10:07 AM
I dont care either way.
I skip over all but 4 or 5 sections here now that dont interest me, but I would defanitly look at a growing section.

Pb2au you forgot about washing it down with homemade beer or wine as several of us are homebrewers.
We have had MANY "homemade meals" like you mentioned, and it is a great feeling.:awesome:

Pb2au
03-28-2014, 11:01 AM
Pb2au you forgot about washing it down with homemade beer or wine as several of us are homebrewers.
We have had MANY "homemade meals" like you mentioned, and it is a great feeling.:awesome:

Small world, I home brew as well. I am in the middle of preparation to brew Berliner Weiss, a wheat beer that has Lacto Bacillus intentionally added to give it a sour note. Very awesome beer.

Back to your regularly scheduled thread.........

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-28-2014, 11:24 AM
I could see this both ways. If a gardening forum existed I would be likely to post in it, but can easily understand why others (gardeners or not) would not post much.

I'll say this much: It's hard to imagine a meal more satisfying that venison you shot in the back yard with ammo you loaded in the kitchen with bullets you made on the porch, and side dishes that you grew in the front yard. Maybe we could rebadge an existing forum as the 'self-sufficiency' forum. Dinner pictures of home-killed meat with home-killed ammo next to home-grown veggies would be a lot of fun.

I dont care either way.
I skip over all but 4 or 5 sections here now that dont interest me, but I would defanitly look at a growing section.

Cool!! I like to grow stuff. Not only vegetables but flowers and stuff for the ladies in my life.

All of the Highlighted things "can be" and "have been" posted about in the Recipe sub-forum, Except maybe lovelife's comments ...btw, is "stuff" 420 friendly :) lol
:kidding:

I would gladly go along with a NEW Gardening sub-forum ...IF... we start crowding out the recipe sub-forum. But until then, I still think NO.

Love Life
03-28-2014, 11:37 AM
Why would I grow marijuana for my wife and daughter? Stuff is just that...stuff. A list of things that I didn't feel like listing. I do hope that your question was just for funnin.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-28-2014, 11:41 AM
Yes...just funnin...sorry, I forgot the :) and the lol

Love Life
03-28-2014, 11:48 AM
The use of emoticons is very importants. I honestly expect WWIII to start because of a text between world leaders that was missing smilies!! :D

snuffy
03-28-2014, 11:56 AM
I vote a definite YES!

From a contributor to this site. Notice most of the no votes are coming from those that are getting a free ride?

As for only getting activity for 4 weeks, (spring and fall), I'd be using it right now and would have had a post there , (in the gardening sub-forum), about 4 weeks ago. I need to pick somebodies brain about,,,---how do you get healthy stocky seedlings? Not the ones I have right now, who's stems look like green hair?!! Pepper and tomato plants.

Again YES!

Pb2au
03-28-2014, 11:59 AM
Always grow flowers for the ladies. It is the small things in life that make the road even more enjoyable to drive. That is why I put in a peach tree many moons ago, my beautiful and beguiling wife likes the blossoms and the fruit of course.

I do agree that such a forum could encompass some of the topics that wander into the cooking section, and in theory, vice versa. I also expect in a short period of time it would self regulate and probably tick along nicely.

SSGOldfart
03-28-2014, 12:42 PM
I would like a gardening section. I grow a garden year around here in East Texas

fastfire
03-28-2014, 12:51 PM
Yes, on the gardening section I will post many times there.

farmerjim
03-28-2014, 01:01 PM
I grow a 150 foot row of Zinnias for the wife, and to sell.

Snuffy, grow your seedlings in a cool place in full sun or under florescent lights inside. Use a fixture 4 bulbs wide and keep the plants within 2 inches of the lights.

SSGOldfart
03-28-2014, 01:10 PM
Snuffy: try petting them every day and use a small fan to blow a very light breeze over them they will stock-up to fight the wind making them much stockier, just don't over feed them while they are in the pots

sljacob
03-28-2014, 02:16 PM
I vote yes for a gardening I think many of us here would benefit from it, but I would rather see it in the outdoorsman section.
I would like to keep the cast boolits site dedicated mostly to casting and shooting.

KYCaster
03-28-2014, 03:59 PM
I vote a definite YES!

From a contributor to this site. Notice most of the no votes are coming from those that are getting a free ride?

As for only getting activity for 4 weeks, (spring and fall), I'd be using it right now and would have had a post there , (in the gardening sub-forum), about 4 weeks ago. I need to pick somebodies brain about,,,---how do you get healthy stocky seedlings? Not the ones I have right now, who's stems look like green hair?!! Pepper and tomato plants.

Again YES!

So Snuffy, do you have a list of all the members who have made contributions to this site? Are you also implying that all those who voted yes on this subject are contributors? Does the fact that you have a sponsor banner under your name make your yes vote carry more weight than my no vote? Could you just present your views without trying to demean those of us who disagree with you?

Regarding your question about spindly seedlings.....There are any number of sites with the info you're looking for. I usually start with the University of Kentucky Agriculture Extension Agent. We have one in every county here, paid for with our tax dollars. They provide excellent service with advice relevant to this particular area.

I'm pretty sure that WI has a similar program.

I posted my views earlier and haven't seen anything to change my mind.

Jerry

FrankG
03-28-2014, 04:19 PM
Sure , why not ?

plmitch
03-28-2014, 05:12 PM
Yes! It would be a nice change here.

sdcitizen
03-28-2014, 05:42 PM
Then I wouldn't have to go to the pirate4x4 forum to read about gardening! (that's a yes)

gray wolf
03-28-2014, 07:06 PM
I am voting yes again, I don't think I can Pisss to many people off in a gardening forum.
We could go from growen em to preserving em to cookin em up.

snuffy
03-28-2014, 07:54 PM
So Snuffy, do you have a list of all the members who have made contributions to this site? No.Are you also implying that all those who voted yes on this subject are contributors?Again NO Does the fact that you have a sponsor banner under your name make your yes vote carry more weight than my no vote?Of course not, but maybe it should? Could you just present your views without trying to demean those of us who disagree with you?Okay

Regarding your question about spindly seedlings.....There are any number of sites with the info you're looking for. I usually start with the University of Kentucky Agriculture Extension Agent. We have one in every county here, paid for with our tax dollars. They provide excellent service with advice relevant to this particular area.

I'm pretty sure that WI has a similar program.I just spent ¾ hour on the U-Wisconsin website, no how-to-start-seeds anywhere to be found. Lots of stuffed shirts that will give seminars about horticulture but nothing for us that want to start our own veggie seeds indoors to save money,,--versus going to a local greenhouse to spent 200 bucks for our plants.

I posted my views earlier and haven't seen anything to change my mind.

Jerry

That right there is a prime reason to have just such a sub-forum. I could have asked that question, most likely somebody would have a link to just such an organization.

I too went to several "so-called gardening forums, just a bunch of lilly-nipers talking about flowers. If I can't eat it, I won't grow it!

Snuffy: try petting them every day and use a small fan to blow a very light breeze over them they will stock-up to fight the wind making them much stockier, just don't over feed them while they are in the pots

O.F., I did that last year, the fan just knocked them all over, they just got spindly laying down!

Snuffy, grow your seedlings in a cool place in full sun or under florescent lights inside. Use a fixture 4 bulbs wide and keep the plants within 2 inches of the lights.

Actually I have a heat mat made for starting seedlings to accelerate sprouting under the commercial seed starter holder. Those have a clear dome that keeps things moist. One has an absorbent mat under it that has a pool of water that it wicks up under the pods. The other is a Styrofoam pod container that floats in a tank of water with holes in the bottom that wick up the water into preformed cone shaped peat planters. That too has a plastic cover that prevents drying of the pods.

I have a florescent fixture with a plant bulb that has a frame to raise and lower the entire light. It's just touching the plastic domes.

MaryB
03-28-2014, 11:32 PM
I vote yes, could use hints from someone with a bad back on how high I should make my raised beds. A little stooping is fine but all the way to ground level doesn't work very well anymore. I was thinking 2 2x12's stacked on edge...

DougGuy
03-29-2014, 11:37 AM
I vote yes, could use hints from someone with a bad back on how high I should make my raised beds. A little stooping is fine but all the way to ground level doesn't work very well anymore. I was thinking 2 2x12's stacked on edge...

That'll work. I make raised beds and sell them in Craigslist, I try for 16" and people seem to be quite happy with them. Remember the taller you make them, less stooping, but more shoveling you have to do to fill them up..

I treat the bare wood with Eco wood treatment, it's an almost organic mineral treatment that prolongs rot and keeps the bugs out of the wood. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eco-Woods-EWT5-5-Gallon-Eco-Wood-Treatment-Silvery-patina-/321266291279?pt=Planters_Pots&hash=item4accf6924f

If we do get a gardening sub board, I would contribute a nice post with photos on building and gardening in raised beds.

snuffy
03-29-2014, 01:28 PM

I've put pics of my containers on this board before, but because we don't have a gardening sub-forum, they're in several different forums.[smilie=1:[smilie=1:[smilie=1:

http://photos.imageevent.com/jptowns/general/websize/garden%202012%20015.jpg

]img]http://photos.imageevent.com/jptowns/general/websize/garden%202012%20007.jpg[/img

I just went out to measure how high they are, 29". I built them so I wouldn't have to bend over at all to tend to them. I'm 5"9' so adjustment for taller or shorter can be made when building the racks. The grow-boxes themselves are 12" high.

http://www.agardenpatch.com/?gclid=CP_TpY3tqL0CFchQ7AodlQoAtA

I still have a ground garden, well I did last year. Don't know if the politics of the park will allow it again this year. I can only take just so much stooping without pain, so the ground garden is for low maintenance veggies.

I also use a lot of 5 gallon pails for container gardening.

http://photos.imageevent.com/jptowns/general/websize/garden%202012%20012.jpg

tonyjones
03-29-2014, 08:25 PM
I vote yes. This is a sub forum that I would regularly follow.

Thanks,

TJ

Baja_Traveler
03-29-2014, 08:30 PM
Well, as much as I do enjoy gardening, truth be told if I wanted to cruise a forum for it I would go over to a dedicated forum like Tomatoville...

MaryB
03-29-2014, 10:18 PM
I do have 4 55 gallon plastic drums cut in half that I use for salad greens and herbs. Works fairly well. Some bending will keep my back from freezing up faster than it already is. Have keep moving or my spine will fuse totally. Think I will go the 2 2x12 high and 4x8 or 12 foot beds. Co-op will bring up the bobcat to fill them for me.

Idaho Mule
03-30-2014, 07:00 AM
I'll vote yes, and I have LOTS of fertilizer for those that need/want it. JW

DougGuy
03-30-2014, 03:09 PM
MaryB 4x8 is a good size, you could cut 4 pieces of 12' 2x12 and get ends and sides out of them. You probably still need a center brace to keep the sides from bulging after a year or two. I do find that the 8x3 size is easier to work the middle as opposed to the 4' width.

These are some 8x3s that I built and sold, assembled at customer's locations, the 16' bed is one I built for my own yard. It sits on a hill, the back is 2 boards high, the front is 3 boards. It was the best way I could figure out to use the space I wanted to use in the yard and not have the hill be a problem. The top is level and that's what matters, that way water don't run to one side, it soaks in evenly.

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/Raised%20Beds/6RaisedBeds_zpsb6cd6ed1.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/Raised%20Beds/6RaisedBeds_zpsb6cd6ed1.jpg.html)

Reg
03-30-2014, 08:34 PM
Yes vote.

starmac
03-30-2014, 08:41 PM
I vote yes, and think the outdoor forum would be a good place for gardening and preserving subforum. That way those that don't want one just may never even realize it is there.
It seems like cast boolits and gardening is both about self reliance, and that is why a lot of us is here. It may just get more activity in the outdoors forum too.

wlc
03-30-2014, 08:55 PM
I'll ditto what starmac said. Anyway where else you gonna get to see pics of 100 pound cabbage grown by a forum member......??????

kbstenberg
03-30-2014, 08:57 PM
I vote no

MaryB
03-31-2014, 01:50 AM
I was thinking 4 foot wide with tomatoes in the center and a row crop down each side like radishes, beans, peas(might plant these in with the corn that is going in a 30 foot square tilled area). I don't think I could ever grow to many tomatoes, when I have a surplus after I have enough sauce and whole ones canned i make juice for my breakfast. I go through a 64 oz bottle of v8 in 4-5 days...

jaydub in wi
03-31-2014, 08:45 AM
I vote yes. The snow is almost gone from my garden:grin:

montana_charlie
03-31-2014, 02:23 PM
the outdoor forum would be a good place for gardening and preserving subforum
There you go ... a preserving sub-forum, or how about several?
You can have sections for freezing, canning, pickling, dehydrating ... and since fish and game is 'outdoors stuff' ... you can add jerky-making, salting, smoking, and you may as well throw in sausage-making and corning.

With all of those enticements, 'we' can attract a whole population of people who don't know what a cast bullet is, and who don't even like guns.

Then, they can suggest subforums for sewing, candlemaking, child rearing ... you name it.

With luck, we can eventually have a forum for techniques to combat global warming.

Becoming more inclusive, adding diversity ... it's all progress, Gunner.
It's what progressives do ...

starmac
03-31-2014, 02:43 PM
You can have sections for freezing, canning, pickling, dehydrating ... and since fish and game is 'outdoors stuff' ... you can add jerky-making, salting, smoking, and you may as well throw in sausage-making and corning.
All that pretty much comes up under one heading. I somehow doubt that a garden forum would attract anywhere near as much traffic as the pit, which has nothing to do with cast boolits.

Maybe it would be better off with just one forum, for cast boolits. The outdoors forum has several subforums that have zero to do with cast, and I do not see it drawing much in the way of low lifes.

OeldeWolf
04-06-2014, 01:45 AM
I think a garden forum would be nice in the outdoors section.

I would much rather trade seeds with people on the forum, than have to hang out on another forum. I get enough "dissing" from non-gun folk, that coming here is part of my way of dealing with it. I get tired of meeting what I think will be a friend, only to have them get all upset if I mention firearms. And yes, I will get out of this state when/if I can. But I have family here, some of working age, and am not rich enough to transplant all of them with me.

I know I tend to be quiet. But there are so many here who are more qualified, that I tend to read and learn. And offer up quiet prayers for folk. Instead of butting in.

I guess I would just rather talk gardening with folks who share some common values with me. Maybe I am just getting old. <shrugs>

Col4570
04-06-2014, 01:56 AM
Montana Charlie,You did,nt Mention Flower arranging.:veryconfu

montana_charlie
04-07-2014, 03:29 PM
I would leave that up to the progressives who get baited in by the gardening/preserving forum ...

ShooterAZ
04-07-2014, 04:38 PM
I give this a yes vote. I do a bit of gardening myself, and I can't see any reason not to have a subforum for it.

Red River Rick
04-07-2014, 05:32 PM
Really..............what a waste of good band width!

This site was started for one reason and one reason only..................."BULLET CASTING"!

RRR

RoyEllis
04-07-2014, 05:38 PM

As a point of fact, I do flower arranging once every week.........every time I visit my wife's grave.
Do you have some unmentioned issue with that, one you'd like to get out in the open? I'll be your huckleberry.

Red River Rick
04-07-2014, 05:50 PM
Leaving flowers on a departed ones grave is done out of shear "LOVE".

"Love", and "Leisure Gardening" are two totaly different things.

The "LOVE" part, all of us here can relate to, because we are all human beings. And that is expected to be accepted here, on a forum that is dedicated to "CASTING BOOLITS"................not gardening.

Maybe the term "SILVER STREAM" will shed some light!

FWIW

RRR

montana_charlie
04-07-2014, 06:02 PM
As a point of fact, I do flower arranging once every week.........every time I visit my wife's grave.
Do you have some unmentioned issue with that, one you'd like to get out in the open? I'll be your huckleberry.You're obviously trolling for a fight, Huck.

Are you trying to feed the anger, self-pity, or resentment wolf?

RoyEllis
04-07-2014, 08:58 PM
You're obviously trolling for a fight, Huck.

Are you trying to feed the anger, self-pity, or resentment wolf?
Nope, not trolling for a fight. Don't like the juvenile playground bully garbage some will post just to try & shame others into silence or agreement with their position. Won't stand down for anyone doing that, won't walk away, won't turn the other cheek. As my grandfather told me long ago, if you're not in the wrong....never back up.
I understand some have displeasure with the suggestion of another sub forum, and I wouldn't expect those to voice support for it. However, infantile denigrating remarks that have no substance to add to the discussion haven't any place here other than the previously mentioned "big me, girly you" attacks to other forum members.

Oh, I do have many wolves and wrestle with them for control daily. Some days I win, some days I get mauled....but I never stop trying to be a better man.

Polecat
04-07-2014, 09:22 PM
Look this is a cast boolits fourm but, most of us live a life along the same values. I cast and I garden so I trust the advice on cast boolits on this site why not on gardening

Col4570
04-08-2014, 01:16 AM
Do you have some unmentioned issue with that, one you'd like to get out in the open? I'll be your huckleberry.
Roy I apologise for my throw away remark,I did not take into account those circumstances.Best wishes and I hope your pain eases as time goes bye.

MaryB
04-08-2014, 02:14 AM
Just found a source for 55 gallon white plastic barrels for $7 each. Instead of wood raised beds going to buy a bunch of them. Cut them in half, fill with a good potting mix and they are great. Look semi decent too. I will put a piece of lattice across the front of the garden to block direct view from the street and give the peas and pole beans something to climb.

OeldeWolf
04-09-2014, 11:19 PM
I sure wish those plastic barrels were that cheap around here!

Remember to not use barrels which had anything toxic in them.

MaryB
04-09-2014, 11:52 PM
These all had a biodegradable driveway soap i them, makes a good fertilizer actually.

VinceG
04-10-2014, 12:12 AM
I'd like that. Garden season is here again. Hope the rain shows up this year.

OeldeWolf
04-10-2014, 02:12 AM
this thread has started quite a controversy. Even leading to a very long, and now locked, thread. I like this site. It helped me keep something resembling sanity or spirit, when I could not seem to find the energy to actually DO anything firearms related. If it is really going to take up too much bandwidth, or cause revolt in the ranks, I would just as soon hunt up the thread in cooking, or post a question in Our Town. Maybe get an opinion on which site I can visit, and trust the information from, occasionally.

waksupi
04-10-2014, 11:27 AM
Just found a source for 55 gallon white plastic barrels for $7 each. Instead of wood raised beds going to buy a bunch of them. Cut them in half, fill with a good potting mix and they are great. Look semi decent too. I will put a piece of lattice across the front of the garden to block direct view from the street and give the peas and pole beans something to climb.

Fill them half way with gallon milk jugs or similar. Uses lots less dirt, and are more easily moved.

oneokie
04-10-2014, 01:49 PM
Maybe get an opinion on which site I can visit, and trust the information from, occasionally.

This forum;

http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/gardening-plant-propagation/

On this site;

http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/

starmac
04-10-2014, 02:48 PM
The way I look at it, is it is all pretty much the site owners call, no reason to whine , no matter which way he goes.

gray wolf
04-10-2014, 05:11 PM
Sometimes it's a little hard to believe,
this much controversy and dissension can arise,
from a hand full of seeds,
and little bit of the Lords dirt.
Be it a sub forum or not,
my wife will have her garden,
and I will tell her how proud I am of her for doing it.
I will help plant the little precious seeds and give thanks,
I will help water them and pray to my God they grow healthy and strong,
When I pick the fresh chemical free food I will give thanks,
We will not pick the biggest or pick the last, it will go back to the earth as we give thanks,
We will share with the less needy if possible, and be thankful we are able.
When I see the dirt under my finger nails I will smile and give thanks.
Perhaps I just miss the point of all the hoopla.

Gray Wolf

silverado
04-10-2014, 11:11 PM
I think it would be a great place to trade gardening info for people who also enjoy casting boolits...

DougGuy
04-13-2014, 02:36 PM
I think it would be a great place to trade gardening info for people who also enjoy casting boolits...

Eggzactly..

MaryB
04-14-2014, 12:30 AM
With all the people here into self reliance the gardening forum makes sense, and it could go over in the camping forum if needed.

KYCaster
04-14-2014, 07:54 PM
When I want expert advice about anything related to cast bullets, I go to the site where I know I'll find all the experts on cast bullets.........."CAST BOOLITS".

When I want expert advice about anything related to gardening, I go the site where......uhhhhhh.....I know I'll find.....ummmm....all the experts on cast bullets who.....errrrr......also enjoy gardening......."CAST, ummm, GARDENING"?

When I need an answer to almost any subject I can imagine (including gardening), I can go to CAST BOOLITS and post the question in "OUR TOWN" or "HUMOR AND OFF TOPIC", and I know I'll get either the answer I want or a link to a site that does have the answer I want.

Am I missing something here?

I know that I am free to ignore any content that doesn't interest me (I ignore about 90% of it already), but someone has to maintain and pay for all the bandwidth that I'm ignoring and as my knowledge of the Silver Stream slowly increases, I find it a bit frustrating to have an ever increasing amount of content that I have to evaluate before I decide to ignore it.

But....that's just My Own D*mn Opinion and I realize that yours is probably different than mine.

Jerry