PDA

View Full Version : 45-70 Dies

BIGRED
03-26-2014, 11:32 AM
I am finally getting the 45-70 guide gun i have been wanting for years now.. i am dedicating it to cast boolits ONLY...
Chances are it will be PC boolits and i have settled on the 405GC RCBS FN mold. My question is. there are 2 choices for RCBS die Sets. 1 is the standard set and 1 is the cowboy set. the cowboy set clearly states for cast lead bullets only.

which one should i choose? am i too assume the standard set will suit my needs just fine?
and what does this really mean?
Built to slightly different dimensions than the regular RCBS dies to allow optimum sizing, expanding, seating and crimping needed to load great lead bullet ammo

Thanks

Jon K
03-26-2014, 12:07 PM
Get the Cowboy set...

Jon

Walter Laich
03-26-2014, 12:38 PM
+1 on Cowboy set. designed for the lead bullet from the get-go

LUBEDUDE
03-26-2014, 02:35 PM
You will not be disappointed with the Cowboy set.

BIGRED
03-26-2014, 02:50 PM
does anyone know the difference between the 2?
For you 45-70 or big boolit loaders, is this enough dies to do what i want? i usually seat and crimp separately. I usually use a 2 die set with an additional M die and a Crimp die for my rifles. and use the seating/crimp die as a seater only.

i am definitely leaning towards the cowboy set. I would assume they will ensure better cycling and feeding as well in the lever actions.

LUBEDUDE
03-26-2014, 03:02 PM
Function- wise the main difference is in the expanding die. Instead of just doing a flare/belling of the case, the post actually goes inside the case and expands the case so the bullet does not have to. This way you have no shavings and a more uniform cartridge. Basically, your M die.

As you can see in the picture, the dies have an old timey cool looking appearance as well.

Oh yeah, it is a 3-Die set. The sizer/decapper is hiding behind the powder measure. But the answer to your question, is you ARE seating AND crimping with the third die. I prefer a 4th myself. Now my Dillon is nice in that respect. But I prefer to take my time with 45-70 and prefer the Cowboy dies. However I have no problem with my Dillons.

LUBEDUDE
03-26-2014, 03:47 PM
All of my 45-70 ammo is buried too deep for me to gain access to at the moment, so I can not get you any photos of crimps. However, I have used them with success in my Big Browning 1886.

Here are some shots of some 45 Colts made with Cowboy Dies, with a Hard crimp for lever action work.