PDA

View Full Version : S&W victory model .38 special info

jakec
03-26-2014, 10:05 AM
i have a .38 special victory in perfect shape and would like some info on it if possible. i think it was unfired until my dumb*** went and shot it. i didnt think anything about it untill my buddy said he thinks it might be worth more than i thought. i only shot about 50 rounds through it and so now it has very light drag marks on the cylinder. im not into having guns i cant shoot and im also not into destroying something historical that someone who does collect would like to have. it says "u.s. navy" on the left side of the topstrap, .38 s&w special ctg on the right side of the barrel and has the v prefix serial number. i can give somebody the serial number if thatll help. ill post a pic.

jakec
03-26-2014, 10:07 AM
Finally got it.100555

dsbock
03-26-2014, 10:28 AM
Jake,

That is a beauty. However, the grips are not original to a Victory model. They would be smooth without medallions.

In addition to the US Navy marking, there should be some other markings on the topstrap, under the barrel, and at the top of the frame near the hammer. Closeup pictures of these areas should help with evaluation.

David

Dutchman
03-26-2014, 10:30 AM
The grips are incorrect for that particular gun. It looks like it's been re-blued at some point.

Dutch

jakec
03-26-2014, 10:36 AM
i thought the grips werent right. its not blued it has the parkerized finish or whatever its called my crappy phone pic doesnt show it good. ill get pics of the ther spots and any markings i can find and post them this afternoon. thanks.

Bohica793
03-26-2014, 10:47 AM
The Smith & Wesson forum has a thread on all things Victory model.
smith-wessonforum.com

I think you will find that the values on these are not excessively high, but they are really neat guns. I have an actual 2" Victory (not a cut down 5") that I love and will not part with. I have been told it is 1 of 5000 but have not bothered to have it lettered yet to be sure.

BTW: How are the bullet molds working out?

jakec
03-26-2014, 10:54 AM
yea i dont really want to sell it either way. it shoots great. i have rugers and didnt realize the cylinder spins the wrong way on smiths! those molds are working out very nice. thats what i was shooting in this. i love those wadcutters.

wch
03-26-2014, 11:52 AM
yea i dont really want to sell it either way. it shoots great. i have rugers and didnt realize the cylinder spins the wrong way on smiths! those molds are working out very nice. thats what i was shooting in this. i love those wadcutters.

I understand that the value of the guns decrease if we shoot them (according to anally bound "collectors") but how do you value the enjoyment and the friendships that come about when we use them as they were meant to be used?

jakec
03-26-2014, 12:24 PM
wch you are correct sir! im just gonna shoot it. it really really shoots good and i did enjoy the **** out of it. im not into show pieces i like stuff that i can use.

Scharfschuetze
03-26-2014, 01:03 PM
Those "Magna" grips will make it more comfortable to shoot than the original grips. They are fun revolvers to shoot and that I would do if I were you. I shoot mine from time to time. I just saw one for sale this weekend for around $500 if memory serves. The finish that resembles parkerizing was a sand blasted and then blued finish called "Black Magic" if I recall correctly. Look for a "S" on the butt near the serial number. If present, your revolver was returned to the factory for modification for an upgraded sliding hammer block safety requested by the Navy. By the way that modification is still the current S&W hammer block safety on all post WWII S&Ws.

I wouldn't load to +P levels in these revolvers. The M41 38 Special cartridge was the primary issue round for the Victory and I was still able to draw that round for training all the way into the mid 90s. Made shooting my Victory pretty easy during foreign and obsolete weapons week or during our regular pistol quals. I now use the SAECO 148 grain RN boolet for the most part, but a 158 grain SWC or RN will generally shoot to the point of aim in my current Victory model or the one that I gave my Dad many years ago. At one time GI tracer ammo was a pretty common issue for these revolvers.

I've been told by competent S&W collectors that the victory model was generally carried by US Navy personnel, particularly flight crews so your US Navy marking fits right in there. Both of my Victorys have/had "US Property" on the top strap and "GHL" as the initials of the accepting inspector. The US Navy marking reportedly brings a premium in value to the revolver. The normal location is on the top strap but some have been noted with the US Navy on the left side under the thumb release and those reportedly bring several times the value of a "US Government" marked Victory revolver.

My father carried one in WWII so I gave him my first Victory Model and it is now one of his prized possessions.

jumbeaux
03-26-2014, 04:01 PM
Scharf could you please furnish details on the M41 load ? I too have a USN Marked Victory sir...

Thank you sir,

rick

Scharfschuetze
03-26-2014, 07:54 PM
Hey Rick. Nice that a US Navy vet has a US Navy Victory Model!

My "Ammunition Book Complete" dated May 1993 by the Defense Ammunition Directorate says:

Item Name: Cartridge, Calibre .38 Special
Type: Ball
Model Number: M41
Velocity: 950 fps
Projectile Weight: 130 grains
DOD Ammunition Code: 1305-A400

I think that the velocity level stated in the book for most M41 ammo is very optimistic. While I've never chronographed the load, my thinking is that it is probably challenged to make 800 fps. One member here noted in a previous thread that some US Air Force loadings did make it to the llisted velocity, but that the load was hard on the aluminum framed S&W K Frame revolvers issued to SAC air crewmen. My uncle, a B-47 pilot, had one of those SAC revolvers (with an aluminum cylinder) and it was indeed a lively revolver to fire. At the time, I was too young to note what kind of ammo we were using.

I've recovered many M41 projectiles and they were barely damaged from hitting the backstop material.

If you ever stumble upon M41 38 Special cases at a gun show or shop, grap 'em. They last forever for a reloader.

M41 ammunition:

jumbeaux
03-26-2014, 08:59 PM
Scharf thank you for the info...my brother found my Victory while visiting with a WWII Collector and bought it from him...then he gave it to me because of my prior service. I served aboard a Destroyer and we stood watch with 1911A1s but there were a very limited number of revolvers aboard. While at sea a favorite Sunday afternoon "chore" was to fire 1911A1s, M14s, riot shotguns and M60s...we didn't do it very often but when we did it was a great deal of fun. I must admit that we regularly fired the 5" 54s and twin mount 3" 50s...both of which are indescribable to those that have not seen them in action...take care sir...

rick

MtGun44
03-27-2014, 01:52 AM
My father carried one in WW2 as a Navy pilot. Unfortunately, stolen by movers in one
of our many moves. Probably been refinished and non-correct grips it is likely just
another nice old gun with an interesting history.

Bill

bedbugbilly
03-28-2014, 07:43 PM
Load it up, shoot it and enjoy it. It looks like a nice one but they aren't that rare. It's a nice M & P Victory and like all of 'em, I think is one of the nicest revolvers ever made.

Go to the S & W site - post a photo of it and possibly a photo of the serial # on the butt - they will be able to tell you approx. DOB on it. If you post the serial # without a photo of it, be sure to post the "prefix" letter of it - which should be a V.

jimb16
03-28-2014, 10:16 PM
The prefix on mine is VS. It is one of the later Navy models. I even have the holster with it. The name of the Lt. who carried it is on the back of the holster.

Scharfschuetze
03-28-2014, 11:05 PM
The "S" in the serial number prefix means that it has the updated hammer block safety.