PDA

View Full Version : local gun auction

stephenj
03-25-2014, 11:02 PM
Went to the rogers ohio gun auction this evening .
There wasnt much there that interested me except a trapdoor in 50/70
And a 1917 colt .... the trapdoor had a very nice bore but someone had done some refinish work on the metal and not a real good job of it at that ... it went for $575 or $600 i lost track at that point .

The colt 1917 i regret not bidding on .. it was in perfect mechanical condition
But the origonal finish looked a tad bit rough .... would have made a very excelent shooter
Sold for $500 .... i wish i had bid on it ... but i am saving cash for a sawmill.

Was also a very nice stevens 44 that had been redone into a heavy barreled.target .22
It looked nice ...sold price was $950 .. not sure if it was a deal or not

Was a lot of the typical single shot shotgun junk and a fair bit of milsurp stuff
Prices at the hammer was for the most part reasonable

Frank46
03-26-2014, 12:03 AM
If you are into 1917's try and look for one of the 1937 contract 45 auto revolvers that S&W made for the Brazilian gov't. They were new made for that contract. I have one in decent shape that is fun to shoot. Should the bbl go south I have a new old stock 1917 barrel so am not really worried about shooting the bbl out. But sad to say the prices on the 1937 and 1938 contract brazilian revolvers are going up. Frank

uscra112
03-26-2014, 01:12 AM
I almost took the trip to that one myself, but my gun-budget is a bit flat at the moment. I also have found that I rarely see any bargains at gun auctions. Estate auctions yes, I sometimes get something for a rational price.

stephenj
03-26-2014, 01:42 AM
It helps that i am only about 3 miles from rogers .. i have gotten a few things from the auction over the years .
But i have the best luck in good weather at the friday fleamarket junk show .
But living close i can show up early search for guns and leave quickly .

I do like the 1917 i have both a us s-w and a brazilian that i got
Back in the 90's before prices shot up .
It would have been very nice to have a colt to go with them .
But i have promised myself to not buy anything until i get a sawmill ... i need a workshop

schutzen
03-26-2014, 10:57 AM
Funny you should say you have not luck at gun auctions, but tend to score at estate auctions. It is just the opposite around here. I seem to do well at gun auctions, but prices at estate auctions are out the roof. Last year I picked up a Savage 340 .30-30 in NRA Good condition (thin bluing)for $220 at a local gun auction. Last week I watched a Savage 340 sell at an estate auction for $515. I can not figure people out. I guess they just get wound up in the bidding.

Thin Man
03-26-2014, 02:00 PM
+1 for auction prices being high. About 5 years back a local sheriff's department auctioned off around 500 seized firearm they had been holding for many years. Their state government authorized LE agencies to sell off seizures so long as a certified FFL holder completed a background check on buyers and followed all rules for buyers to take possession (relative to location of sale v. buyer's home address). The sale went out the roof with buyers paying MORE for used, sometimes heavily used, firearms than the same or nearly same item could be bought that same day at a local retailer. Friends and I stayed longer than we wanted just to watch the fun. Auction fever took over and the bidders took on an "it doesn't matter how high it goes, I'M gonna win this one!" attitude. I have told SWMBO several times over: when I am gone sell off everything the family doesn't want at a well advertised auction. This is the only way to get what these toys are worth and not have the family ripped off.

Thin Man

bob208
03-26-2014, 05:33 PM
you do know the 1917 colts had a wartime finish that was a little rough. as in they did not do the finial polish before bluing.

higgins
03-28-2014, 04:32 PM
I have told SWMBO several times over: when I am gone sell off everything the family doesn't want at a well advertised auction.

That's what I had told mine too until I found out the local well-known auction house gets 25-30% of the selling price and the buyers premium. I don't begrudge an auctioneer a profit (which I thought the buyers premium paid) but 40 percent is way too much.