PDA

View Full Version : Proccessing Range Scrap

ksfowler166
03-25-2014, 02:01 PM
I know this must have been discussed at some point but I have yet to find it so I thought I would ask. I have both outdoor and indoor sources of range scrap but I have heard (but don't believe) that RS is dirty, puts out a lot of fumes, and is just not worth the hassle for the amount of lead you get. So I was wondering how you guys process you range scrap from both outdoor and indoor ranges?

btroj
03-25-2014, 02:06 PM
I use lots of outdoor scrap. I make sure it is dry then I melt it in a Dutch oven outdoors using a propane turkey fryer.

I don't find it to be that smelly or dirty, just takes time and is hot to do in the summer.

Well worth while since I gather the stuff myself at no charge.

trixter
03-25-2014, 02:37 PM
:goodpost:

Ditto on the post above. If it wasn't for range scrap, I probably wouldn't be able to shoot.

sqlbullet
03-25-2014, 03:03 PM
Worth the hassle is very subjective. I have a good source of lead. 100's of times more than I will shoot each year. It is a good alloy as it comes to me. Only draw back is some of it is painted. That burns right off in the pot.

I don't think I would mess with mining range berms right now. But, if I was like Trixter, and it was mine berms or not shoot, I would be out there with a shovel in a heartbeat.

revwitha9
03-25-2014, 03:13 PM
Range lead isn't as dirty as the wheel weights I get from the local tire shop! The lead I get from the local scrap yard, however, is cleaner by far. For me, its get it where I can and when I can. I'll clean it up in the pot!

Sgtonory
03-25-2014, 03:18 PM
Plastic shot gun hulls make a pretty big stink if you can avoid those it is not bad at all.

slide
03-25-2014, 03:58 PM
Definitely worth it,I don't have much luck finding wheelweights anymore.

375RUGER
03-25-2014, 05:16 PM
It's worth processing. You get 2 useable products from the rendering. 1 is lead that can be carefully molded into boolits. 2nd product is copper that can be sold to the salvage yard. There's just not a down side especially when the only out of pocket cost is gas money and maybe propane, but I use a wood fire.

ksfowler166
03-25-2014, 07:13 PM
So would you sort out the plastic wads and junk or just skim it off the melted lead?

revwitha9
03-25-2014, 07:17 PM
It's worth processing. You get 2 useable products from the rendering. 1 is lead that can be carefully molded into boolits. 2nd product is copper that can be sold to the salvage yard. There's just not a down side especially when the only out of pocket cost is gas money and maybe propane, but I use a wood fire.

I never considered salvaging brass from empty shotshells! Thanks for the tip!

winchester85
03-25-2014, 08:51 PM
shotshells are NOT brass!

bullet jackets are mostly copper, but some of those are steel as well.

CastingFool
03-25-2014, 09:03 PM
If I had access to range lead, I would be out there doing some harvesting.

Sgtonory
03-25-2014, 09:09 PM
So would you sort out the plastic wads and junk or just skim it off the melted lead?

I dont as in the amount i smelt it takes to much time. But if i see them on top yes i pick them out as they smoke a lot.

knifeman85
03-25-2014, 10:23 PM
if you can get it..DO NOT pass it up..get all you can and store it..melt it...mold it..whatever you can..Like most lead sources it will and may be regulated at some point.I go to my public range in the afternoons after work in the middle of the week..No one there...I get a few gallon jugs full when I go. And yes save the copper jackets. You get between 2 and 3$ a pound for the stuff as #2 copper..Money ahead..and free.

dikman
03-26-2014, 01:01 AM
I agree, grab it while you can. I skim off a fair bit of crud off mine, it's a mixture of sand/fine clay/small stones from the berms and probably a bit of coating (I think some may be powder-coated, judging by the pretty colours!). No big deal, lots of fluxing and stirring works wonders. A bit of work, yes, but hey, it's free lead.

AlaskanGuy
03-26-2014, 01:09 AM
I did a write up about how to do it... I will see if I can find it for ya...

Here it is.... http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?219043-For-noob-s-A-basic-lead-ingot-setup-for-Range-bullet-scrap&highlight=Noob

ksfowler166
03-26-2014, 09:45 PM
Ok thanks for the information guys. Now I have a weird related question. I have heard guys on this forum and youtube refer to there being live primers and loaded cases in their range scrap. How in the world does a primer or a loaded case end up in a berm or in the pits of an indoor range?

RP
03-26-2014, 10:17 PM
I have mined tons of range lead and smelting in a few different ways, My last and I think the best is using wood for my heat source. I picked up a SS bin from the scrape yard added a pipe and put a fan forcing air for a big heat boost. I use a SS beer keg that's been cut and set it in the fire full of the range scrap. The drawback is you have to have something to lift it out of the fire which I have handy. I have found live rounds from what I am told at the police range if the newbies are not hitting the target well the instructor has told them just to throw the bullets at the target. The outdoor range lead will hold water for a very long time trapped in the jackets so a cover is a must. The jackets I am told from the scrap yard is red brass and that's what I get paid for not copper but still brings a nice price. I put it this way if I sold the lead for a buck a lb the jackets bring in twice the money which for me buys new toys. I toss everything in to save time which is shotgun wads twigs rocks and just burn it off or flux it out. The best thing I have found to flux with has been used transmission oil or engine oil. I add a good amount and let if burn while I am mixing btw I use a reg size shovel to stir. There is a warning that goes along with that the bullets that have not turned the lead out will spit lead out in a stream up to a good 6 foot until they are empty so be wary of this. Remove the jackets and flux again skim and flux again and if its like mine you have some great casting alloy.