PDA

View Full Version : Iron and Chromium in alloy

Scharfschuetze
03-25-2014, 01:58 PM
I've been offered quite a few down rigger weights for salmon fishing. The cost is $0.60 a pound. A friend has analyzed the alloy (he's in the high tech measuring field) at:

97.82 percent lead
.12 percent Chromium
.25 percent Iron
1.81 percent Antimony

What do you guys think? Is the alloy usable with the Fe and the Ce content? I can alloy it and reduce the percentages even more, but I'd hate to ruin a pot of smelt with something I have no experience with.

sqlbullet
03-25-2014, 03:01 PM
Those values are so small I wouldn't worry about them. To be honest, guys like me that flux with used motor oil probably introduce that much iron and chromium to lead when we flux.

375RUGER
03-25-2014, 05:19 PM
I introduce that much iron in my mix, analyzed, probably exactly how sqlbullet described.

dikman
03-26-2014, 12:53 AM
Personally, I would consider those percentages to be almost insignificant. I can't see why anyone would add chromium and iron to lead for making sinkers, so would assume they're just minor contaminants from the casting process.

AlaskanGuy
03-26-2014, 01:16 AM
Wouldnt be surprised if that iron and chromium came from the mold its self... I had one of them old iron downrigger molds, and it was a rust bucket.... Now i have alum... Much lighter....

AG

lwknight
03-29-2014, 06:30 AM
The test may be flawed if they did not scrape the sample.
Chromium and iron are part of steel. The sample could easily be contaminated.
I have found that almost all the time on scrap and even my own cast samples. Scraping the surface will usually clear up the reading.

jsizemore
03-29-2014, 01:13 PM
Intresting read on iron chromium oxide, FeCe2O4. Possibly oxide that decided to follow the clip on the WW used on chrome rims?