PDA

View Full Version : Dillon 550 Basic question

mrblue
03-25-2014, 11:03 AM
I've decided to purchase a dillon 550 basic. Few questions for those in the know. If i want to start off I atleast need a shell plate, a powder expander die and choice of my own dies? Is this correct or do i need anything else? I will upgrade throughout the summer as i see with a priming system and the powder add on. Any tips to start me off?

btroj
03-25-2014, 11:15 AM
Go slow and learn what happens at each stage. If you stop for any reason look and verify what cases have powder so you don't double charge.

I have used dies from many manufacturers and they all worked fine.

FS-Shooter
03-25-2014, 11:22 AM
Well you are correct that it requires the shell plate, aka "caliber conversion" by Dillon nomenclature. Believe it does come with a blank tool head so you may add the dies of your choice.

It's a fantastic press, I switched over to the 550 myself recently and I'm sorry I didn't do it years ago. The tolerances in general that Dillon builds into it are pretty impressive, what initially seemed to me as everything being a little on the "tight side" for spacing between the dies and distance the shell plate travels is there by design to reduce the footprint of the shell plate and forward motion of powdered cases.

The quality of the finished rounds coming off the press are way better using the exact same components than what my LNL was ever able to produce.

I initially bought one set of Dillon pistol dies when I ordered mine and I'm glad I did having never seen a set before. As finances allow I am switching every caliber I have dies for over to the Dillons. Their modular construction for removal and cleaning are a big deal and the seater plug is double ended for fine tuning different bullet profiles.

I see your in MI, I live right on the line by Niles come by and use my 550 if you want to see how it all works. Also, I have the alignment tool for getting the primer seater, shell plate and sizing die all aligned when you go to install it you're welcome to borrow it.

Iowa Fox
03-25-2014, 11:32 AM
My thoughts on the BL550 is that by the time you finally get it fully outfitted to a RL550 it gets cost prohibitive. If you are currently reloading on a single stage press you would be better off to keep loading on it and save your money in a stash until you can afford a RL550 either new or used. To answer your original question you will need a caliber conversion kit (shell plate- buttons- powder funnel). I'm not sure if it comes with a powder die but you will need some way to measure powder charges and get it into the primed case. While the 550 will accept any 7/8x14 dies I have found Dillon dies work sooo much nicer in a progressive press. Also keep your eyes open for a good used RL550. Some places like Scheels sell Dillon presses a Little cheaper than Dillon but then you have sales tax instead of shipping charges. Check Brian Enos's web site.

Mohillbilly
03-25-2014, 12:31 PM
I mail ordered my 550b many blue moons ago. I collect Dillon shell plates and heads . I buy Lee dies in common chamberings , because they come with their own powder die . I find Lee less expensive powder measures works well . I don't load hot loads , I load to my weakest gun . If I need more power , I get a bigger gun . Some are not do-able that way , propriety cartridges require you use what ever brand dies you can get (and a Dillon powder funnel /die body , measure) . I keep a head with dies , and measures together , and sticker the measure with powder number, load , and boolet weight ,type . When I change primer size I don't tighten the cap bolts until I lower the shell plate down , like I am priming a case , and center the arm/cup to the shell plate . No tools needed to align . Works every time . If you are a first timer get a scale and load books ( the more the better ) and a boolit puller ... Try to acquire components in bulk . Enjoy your new companion hobby .... AND remember you will NOT save money .... just bigger grins and more shooting .....