PDA

View Full Version : Stainless barrel cleaning

Trickrick
03-24-2014, 09:40 PM
I have just purchased a Taurus 357 that is stainless and has a ported barrel. After my first day of shooting I have a tremendous amount of black around the ports and so far have not been able to clean it like I'd like. I have tried Hoppes and a cloth as well as hoppes with a took brush.
Any help on what will clean it without damaging the finish?
Thanks in advance!
Trick

Gtek
03-24-2014, 09:49 PM
Give Ed's Red a shot, the acetone part working on the carbon. Plus if you make some up will find out how much and all the ways you will like it IMHO. Carb cleaner works a little also.

Silverboolit
03-24-2014, 09:57 PM
Try Seafoam. Works for me.

crawfobj
03-24-2014, 10:12 PM
Marvel mystery oil takes crud out of barrels that were "clean" with commercial products for me. Sea foam is handy stuff too.

bobthenailer
03-25-2014, 06:59 AM
To clean out the ports , use a close to max load of slow burning ball powder such as 296 . H110 or surplus 820 powder and a few jacketed bullets, gas checked cast boolets my also work? , this will blast out any fouling even lead build up , i use this for my handguns with compensators or muzzel brakes that i shoot cast out of 99.9% of the time.

LenH
03-25-2014, 08:31 AM
Hoppes has a solvent that is especially for Stainless. Works great on my Redhawk & SP101.

osteodoc08
03-25-2014, 10:24 AM
This is (one of the many) reasons I do not like ported guns. That being said, place in solvent as noted and try to gently wipe off. The more you dig and scrub, the more damage you are doing to the bore if cleaning from the bore and the more you will mess up the finish on the outside.

I had a ported gun once. I would try to poke out the crud with a toothpick after sitting in Hoppe's #9 for a little bit. Whatever couldnt be reomoved, I just left. I've since sold it.

dudel
03-25-2014, 11:40 AM
This is (one of the many) reasons I do not like ported guns. That being said, place in solvent as noted and try to gently wipe off. The more you dig and scrub, the more damage you are doing to the bore if cleaning from the bore and the more you will mess up the finish on the outside.

I had a ported gun once. I would try to poke out the crud with a toothpick after sitting in Hoppe's #9 for a little bit. Whatever couldnt be reomoved, I just left. I've since sold it.

I have a Taurus in 357 with a ported barrel. For me, it cleans up easily with a lead removal cloth. Part of the reason it cleans up easily, is I never let it build up.

Once nice thing about the ported Tauri, is that the ports don't extend into the rifling (there is a small expansion chamber there). You could use a very small brush (denture crevice brush) or a properly sized drill bit CAREFULLY turned with finger power.

MarkP
03-25-2014, 01:04 PM
I use carburator cleaner on my SS revolvers; make certain you have safety glasses on when you spray it.