PDA

View Full Version : This is me, doing my Happy Dance

OKSaddletramp
03-24-2014, 02:05 PM
When I ordered my CMP Garand last month, I was told to expect a 3-4 month wait, with the possibility of up to 6 months total, depending on order load. CMP received and processed my order on 20 Feb. I just signed the FedEx receipt today! 32 days... I'm in heaven.

TNsailorman
03-24-2014, 03:10 PM
Congrats, now get out there and burn some powder. What make? james

OKSaddletramp
03-24-2014, 04:28 PM
Hra s/n 5602xxx

congrats, now get out there and burn some powder. What make? James

roverboy
03-24-2014, 05:19 PM
Garands are awesome. Hope it shoots great.

Hickok
03-24-2014, 06:06 PM
Beware of the "M1 Thumb!!!":shock:

OKSaddletramp
03-24-2014, 06:15 PM
BTDT. Hopefully, I'll never get in that much of a hurry again. I've shot a number of Garands over the years, but this one's MINE for the first time.

BruceB
03-24-2014, 06:21 PM
DETAILS, dagnabit!

Condition? How's the stock wood look? Bore wear? Parkerising?

"This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is.........YOURS"..... you lucky dog

Good times ahead, great rifle....and yes, DO keep yer thumb out of the way....or else you WILL remember to do so in future.

Get a bunch of clips, and study up here on CB on using cast bullets in the beast. It works great with cast loads.

I wish I was starting anew with the M1, but that train left the station many decades ago.

country gent
03-24-2014, 06:34 PM
H&R barrels were real good barrels too. If you can find a throat gage check that and check the muzze for wear. If the muzzle gage isnt available a 30 cal bullet set in point first will give an idea. Ive seen some with great throats and terrible muzzles do to being cleaned more than shot. Always use a muzze protector and stull a rag in the action. clean rifle upside down so solvents dont run into the bedding.

OKSaddletramp
03-24-2014, 07:00 PM
OK, here goes. I'll try to get pictures later.
DETAILS, dagnabit!

Condition? How's the stock wood look? Bore wear? Parkerising?

*** While not a beater by any means, it's a little rough looking. Wood doesn't quite match and there are a couple of dings/gouges in the receiver area. There are a couple of places where the park is worn/ redone and the colors don't match between barrel/receiver/floor plate. According to the tag CMP sent with the rifle, the throat is a "3" and muzzle is "2". ***

"This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is.........YOURS"..... you lucky dog

Good times ahead, great rifle....and yes, DO keep yer thumb out of the way....or else you WILL remember to do so in future.

Get a bunch of clips, and study up here on CB on using cast bullets in the beast. It works great with cast loads.

*** I ordered 25 enblocs for $20, and they actually arrived Friday. I have approximately 250 milsurp cases, and another 100 mixed HS. I'm going to spend the rest of this week casting 200g and 155g boolits for it. Both are 50/50 COWW/pb. I'll load the 200 grainers on top of some H4895 (starting at 30g and working up) or a case full of WC867. The 155's will get some Unique and 2400 ( or Red Dot if I get to the LGS in time) for light plinkers. I already have 50 or so 90g .314's for mouse farts with Bullseye. I'm going to be a busy boy for the next couple of weeks.:bigsmyl2: ***

I wish I was starting anew with the M1, but that train left the station many decades ago.

I shot my first Garand in 1969 (68?) which belonged to my ex-Marine Uncle. Over the years, I've tried many friends' Garands, but never bought one for myself. I usually bought M1 Carbines when I went for milsurps. Now that Carbines are unobtainable I felt it was about time to move up to the Garand. I hope to shoot boolits exclusively in mine.

OKSaddletramp
03-24-2014, 07:04 PM
I haven't pulled the wood off, yet for clean-up, so I don't know if I got an HRA barrel. CMP only guarantees the receiver manuf. on Service Grade.

H&R barrels were real good barrels too. If you can find a throat gage check that and check the muzze for wear. If the muzzle gage isnt available a 30 cal bullet set in point first will give an idea. Ive seen some with great throats and terrible muzzles do to being cleaned more than shot. Always use a muzze protector and stull a rag in the action. clean rifle upside down so solvents dont run into the bedding.

BruceB
03-24-2014, 07:25 PM
If you lock open the action and look into the opening between the stock and the handguard, there should be some markings visible on the barrel, including a maker's ID and the date the barrel was installed (such as "5 61" or "10 52" or some such. No need to remove the wood to look.

Your rifle sounds like a prime example of a good service rifle that put in some time in the ranks.

I'll be curious to see how it runs with that 867 powder; I have sixteen pounds of the stuff!

OKSaddletramp
03-24-2014, 07:57 PM
THX Bruce. I'm used to bbl ID on top or bottom; never thought to look. Mine is indeed HRA, SN 6535XXX followed by 3-55 RS46 and some amororer's stamps.

If you lock open the action and look into the opening between the stock and the handguard, there should be some markings visible on the barrel, including a maker's ID and the date the barrel was installed (such as "5 61" or "10 52" or some such. No need to remove the wood to look.

Your rifle sounds like a prime example of a good service rifle that put in some time in the ranks.

I'll be curious to see how it runs with that 867 powder; I have sixteen pounds of the stuff!

OBXPilgrim
03-26-2014, 08:42 PM
By the way, that 6535448 number on the side of your barrel isn't a barrel serial number, it's the drawing number (blueprint) your barrel was made under. I think the RS46 is a heat treat lot number (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong).

With a receiver serial number of 5602xxx, and a barrel date of 3-55, it looks to be "correct".

Scott Duff's book shows original H&R's with 5585079 & 5600571 serial numbers with 3-55 barrel dates and 5605952 with a 4-55 barrel date.

You done good!!

TNsailorman
03-26-2014, 09:19 PM
Glad you got a HRA. As far as I am concerned, they are the best of the manufacturers. My HRA is better on the fit and finish that my Springfield. They both shoot real well. james

nicholst55
03-26-2014, 09:57 PM
Lock your bolt to the rear, and look at where the barrel screws into the receiver. Is there a 'ring of silver' on the face of the barrel? If the steel is 'in the white' there (hasn't been parkerized), then your receiver probably still wears its original barrel.

BruceB
03-26-2014, 10:16 PM
My Garand is a "Danish-return" Springfield, one of the large number we loaned to the Danes after WWII, and which were returned to us a few years ago.

I find it interesting that the Danish armories followed our US practice of barrel dating.

The barrel was replaced by the Danes, is in NEW condition, and is marked with the highly-regarded "VAR" Danish maker's mark.... and dated as we did it: "5 61". I think those barrels were made by Schultz and Larsen in Denmark.... mot exactly a cut-rate outfit.

Your HRA sounds better and better, the more we learn.

BrassMagnet
03-28-2014, 10:22 PM
You did very well on your HRA.
I got a little less wear on mine, but mine are correct grade HRAs which I picked out at the CMP Western Games. So I only paid twice as much.