PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 55 Woes

Themoose
03-24-2014, 11:06 AM
It may just be me(seems to be that way a lot lately) but should I expect that a Lyman 55 would dispense H110 or W296 without self destructing? I have two 55's, the oldest one runs H110 as smooth as silk... the other one felt like gravel when I tried to throw the first charge of H110... after thoroughly cleaning and trying both graphite and mica to smooth it up between thorough cleanings of acetone, I gave up and returned it to Lyman. The brass cylinder liner was obviously being gouged by the powder granules... I returned it with a note describing the problem and the powder used.. asking for an estimate to fix it... I got a response from them and agreed to pay $50 for the repair... fast forward to yesterday... the repaired measure arrived Friday, but yesterday was the first chance to try it out... When I looked at it after opening I could still see gaps between the metering slides and the rotor and was skeptical of how well it would work...but I proceeded to put in about 200 grains of H110 to try it out... NO GO.... on the first stroke, it seized up like it had before... so I emptied it and decided to contact Lyman...

Talked to a pleasant lady in customer service.. who didn't hear me when I told her I was complaining about the quality of the returned repair... she thought I was complaining about not receiving the repair yet.. she said that was most often the reason for the call... anyway after finding the repair order I once again told her what the issue was... she replied that the unit was repaired and passed inspection perfectly.. I explained the visual difference between the two units(gaps between meter slides & rotors) and she said it worked perfectly in inspection... I saw I was getting nowhere fast and asked to speak to a supervisor and got the dreaded "they will only tell you what I already have"... Her solution was for me to again send the unit back to Lyman for repair... I balked at this, explaining that I was out about $70 for the repair and shipping and thought that Lyman should pay the shipping, refund my money for the repair, or replace the unit... it went downhill fast....I got a brief "lecture" and felt like I was a bad guy... she did offer to refund my shipping costs if I placed receipt in box for return... by the time we got to that I was pretty well fed up...Asked her why I would think repair would be any better this time around when "it was inspected and worked perfectly" after the first repair... I had even included in the letter the powder that was giving me trouble for them to make sure it would work..I ended the call in complete frustration and will keep the unit "as is" as a reminder when I get the urge to buy something orange. After I cool down I will try it with larger grained powders to see which ones it will work with and which ones it will "choke" on.

Bottom line, I have probably purchased my last Lyman product of anything that may require repair or significant financial investment.

I guess after "venting" to the readers of this post, I thank you for your patience.. I needed to "dump"..

I have two questions tho?

1. Was I being a "butt-head" to expect more from them?

2. Is it normal for Lyman 55's to choke and self-destruct on fine grained powders like H110?

salpal48
03-24-2014, 11:39 AM
Since I starter loading some 40 Years ago I,v only used lyman 55 In fact I have 8. when lyman was going through the Leisure group time quality was suffering. You may have one of those.I found a little dressing on the opening in the body with a very fine file . and a rub on the rotor with a extra fine emery cloth then a buff with steel wool.. I don't believe the powder will cause the gouge There might be burrs in the cast . I had one like that . you can use oil to try to make those fixes . but you will have to remove it later afterwards. Is yours an Orange or a gray model. . There seems to be more play in the Gray without the Threaded tubes
Hope this helps

enfieldphile
03-24-2014, 03:24 PM
I had bought a NIB Orange Crusher press in 1985.

44Mag brass had to tipped to enter an RCBS carbide die. I also had a RCBS Shell holder. Other brands of shell holders made no difference. This never happened w/ my old press.

In 1999 I called Lyman. The CS man sounded like young fellow. He said, "Send it back and we will rebuild it."

I got it back 3 weeks later w/ the original parts in a new "Hammer Tone" Crusher frame. The alignment was better, but not quite right. I ordered an Redding Ultramag 700 press. I sold the Lyman.

I had an Orange Lyman case trimmer. It wasn't consistent. I sold it and got a Wilson. The Wilson IS consistent.

Lyman good stuff: molds, MDie, Mag 20 bottom draw pot (have had it for 24 years).

seagiant
03-24-2014, 03:40 PM
Hi,
I really like the Lyman 55 measure,but will have nothing to do with the Lyman company!!!

Themoose
03-24-2014, 04:56 PM
The unit giving me a problem is "orange", not gray... I hear what you are saying about the gouging... but I still think my diagnosis may be correct... with no powder in it at all the cylinder rotates very smoothly... but put the fine grained H110 in and it seizes up and is difficult to turn... I didn't force it after the unit was returned from "repair", but before I sent it in originally, I cycled the rotor a few times which scored it up where you could visually see the gouges... I'm still thinking the fit is off and powder is getting between the steel and brass and something has to give when pressure is added and it looks like it is the brass.... In respect for your input, I will take the 55 apart again and give it a good visual under my magnifying light and try some polishing cloth(think I have some down to a few microns). Thanks to everyone for their input..

Themoose

Dan Cash
03-24-2014, 05:43 PM
No and No. Can you show some pix, particularly the gaps in the slide? Something does not compute as if there are gaps in the slides, the drum should not enter the bore hole in the body of he measure. I am curious as I have 7 or 8 #55 measures and prefer them to all others.

Stephen Cohen
03-24-2014, 05:51 PM
I still have one of the two I purchased 20yrs ago, have the same problem as you on several powders, mine also has the nasty habit of dropping light then heavy charges. My solution is to buy a brand that works and never purchase another lyman product.

Le Loup Solitaire
03-24-2014, 09:56 PM
I have never figured out why Lyman has continued to produce 55's with a body thread that fits the Tr-Line Jr. press which has been out of production for several decades now...and you have to order/use an adapter to use the measure in anything with a 7/8 X 14 thread...unless of course you intend to use it in a 310 tool. A shining example of real progressive thinking. LLS

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-25-2014, 07:49 AM
I have two questions tho?

1. Was I being a "butt-head" to expect more from them?Absolutely not. My feeling is they should have fixed it in the first place without charging you. You should have refused to pay in the first place to have them correct problems with their junk.

2. Is it normal for Lyman 55's to choke and self-destruct on fine grained powders like H110? Have no idea, but there are several brands of powder measures I use that handle that powder with zero problems. Lee, Hornady, RCBS and Dillon to name them

There is a reason that I have no Lyman on my bench. The only product they make I am willing to use is the expander dies that work well with lead boolits. I try to buy those used and have any expanders I get be custom made for me by men of this board.

Lyman has no customer service and is arrogant beyond belief.