PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Turbo Tumbler is starting to bite the dust

Down South
03-23-2014, 10:07 PM
It's only about 30 years old and has cleaned 10's of thousands of rounds of brass and been overloaded many times. I just can't imagine why this thing should be taking a dump on me so soon.
I was cleaning about 4000-5000 5.56 cases in batches when the motor started sounding a little funny. The next batch, when I plugged it up the motor only hums. Dumped the contents and tried again, same hum. The motor appears to be free but I pulled the bottom of the tumbler off and lubed the motor with a good gun oil. I got it running on empty and poured my mix of brass and media in. I got that batch clean but the motor still sounds strange.
I haven't tried it since the last batch. I've got a couple neighbors sitting outside the past couple days and I figured they were trying to enjoy the peace and quite especially since they asked me what that thing making that noise was doing.

Can the motors be replaced or is it better to just start from new again? Mine is the twin Turbo 1200. The small bowl is perfect for graphiting buckshot.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-23-2014, 11:35 PM
The chances are very good that the USA made motor that your tumbler has is no longer made and the chinese made motors now installed in the new ones will not fit your tumbler. You are probably better off buying a new one as it'll likely be cheaper to do so than to replace your motor.

ph4570
03-24-2014, 01:38 PM
I have a 1200 that I purchased in the early 80's. It stopped a couple of weeks ago. Thought it was a goner but blew it out good with air and it came back to life.

Bayou52
03-24-2014, 02:05 PM
Not sure if this will work in your situation or not, but just an idea from my experience with electdric motors:

The electric motors on attic fans are notorious for lasting just a couple of years and then stopping. Then, the whole unit has to be removed from the attic. A real PITA, for sure, especially since a new replacement unit wouldn't be any better.

So, rather than change the whole unit, I removed just the motor from the unit. Then, I popped over to the local electric motor business and had them match up a motor they re-worked. It was even a little larger but fit perfectly. I was told the motor they were supplying me would last a long time.

They were right so far - 12 years and counting.

Is there an idea in there somewhere for you?

w5pv
03-24-2014, 02:44 PM
Sounds to me that you have some junk that was made in the US 30 years ago.Maybe you should send it China so they can learn the correct way to manufacture goods.

Boomer28
03-24-2014, 04:29 PM
Down South, This could work out well. You maybe in the market for a tumbler and I definitely am. With your experience & other forum members I could use some help. What is your opinion of tumblers that are out there, anything good? It would be nice if it was under $100. but if that just buys junk then more will have to be spent. Whats everybodys opinion? Thanks Much, A new guy on the forum, Boomer28 Alias, Jack

Down South
03-24-2014, 04:58 PM
Welcome to the forum Boomer. My tumbler is/was still breathing the last time I used it. Maybe I'll try it out again this evening.
I really haven't looked at options if I have to replace this one. I'll probably go with something along the same lines as I have now.
I had thought about getting a bigger one a while back but I don't do that many large batches of brass anymore. After I get through with all of the 5.56/223, hopefully I'll be down to smaller batches to clean.
I don't see myself collecting much more brass as I have plenty for every caliber I have now.

Boomer28
03-24-2014, 05:39 PM
Well if this generates any good info I would sure appriciate it. Like a dope I sold all my stuff in the 80's. Thought I was done with the hobby, but the bug bit me again and now I really would like to get started again. Still have some molds and my bullet sizer. I have read some about the vibrating brass cleaners but it seems there is alot of weak motors, both US & foreign. Be great to here of someone who has bought one maybe a year ago and has used it alot & loves it. Thanks for any info, Boomer28.

Down South
03-24-2014, 08:42 PM
Update, I plugged the tumbler in empty, buzzzzzzzz. It's toast. BTW, looked at the name tag on it. It's a Lyman Turbo Twin. Supposedly the same as the 1200 Pro but with the extra smaller bowl.

Started looking around not wanting to spend a lot of bucks and found the 1200 Pro on sale at Amazon Prime for $47.53, free shipping. They did charge a little under $4 for tax which brought it up to $51.52 and it will be here on the 26th.
Hopefully my small bowl will work with it as they use the same tumbler for their Turbo Twin.

44Vaquero
03-24-2014, 09:13 PM
Do not trash the burned out unit, toss it under the bench for repair at a later date. The motors are easy to swap out! then you will have 2!!

Down South
03-24-2014, 09:16 PM
Do not trash the burned out unit, toss it under the bench for repair at a later date. The motors are easy to swap out! then you will have 2!!

That's the plan. Other than repair, I will keep it for spare parts. I wish I knew how much brass the old one cleaned.
If the new one will last half as long as the old one did, I'll be happy. But, I doubt it is made as well as the older one.

plainsman456
03-24-2014, 09:23 PM
Look at some of the motors in the newer ice boxes.
They are the same style,Granger might have them in stock.

Defroster id what they are for.

Walter Laich
03-25-2014, 09:10 AM
Have you considered calling Lyman and getting their input?
Know they're not Dillon with the warranty but couldn't hurt

Boomer28
03-25-2014, 10:17 AM
Sorry about the tumbler. After you get the new one could you let us know what you think of it. That was a good price. What do you like for media & how long does it take to clean really dirty brass? Thanks, Jack Anybody else have any input?

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-25-2014, 10:38 AM
I started reloading in 2002. I bought the Lyman turbo 1200 pro at that time. It tumbled lots and lots of brass, many times overnight. I was very happy with it's performance.

In 2007, it started acting up...running sluggishly, I bought a exact replacement at the local Gun shop, it was "used" in the box for half retail price $22 ...it looked like new. I figured I could use the old one as spares parts ...extra bowl ...whatever.

Then when I had some spare time, I disassembled the old tumbler and cleaned it, lubed the motor as the shaft/bushing looked dusty/dry ...The old one runs like New now.

I highly recommend the Lyman turbo 1200 Pro. In 2008, I seen the writting on the wall and bought several 5 gallon buckets of range brass (at least 10), before the BIG spike in the commodities (metals) market. My pair of tumblers ran night and day for a couple weeks.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-25-2014, 10:46 AM
Sorry about the tumbler. After you get the new one could you let us know what you think of it. That was a good price. What do you like for media & how long does it take to clean really dirty brass? Thanks, Jack Anybody else have any input?
Most of the real dirty brass, I now clean them with a hot citric acid bath and dry them in the sun.

BUT before I started doing that, ...I tumbled dirty and tarnished brass. I'd use Corn cob media with polishing compound and liquid car wax. It would take from 1 to 4 hours depending on how bad they are.

I use clean corn cob media with nothing added for removing the Lube off of freshly FL sized and trimmed rifle cases. That takes about 30 minutes.

Boomer28
03-25-2014, 06:29 PM
Hey Jon B, Great info, I will be looking hard at that tumbler. How many 223 or 9mm or 45 brass will it do at a time. Your info is greatly appreciated. There's no bull here its real experience. Thanks, Jack (Boomer28)

Love Life
03-25-2014, 06:36 PM
I used an el cheapo Frankford Arsenal tumbler for 6 years before it croaked.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-25-2014, 08:57 PM
I put about 600 9mm in at once, and probably 300 223rem, and then 45acp maybe 400 or so.
I think more would fit, but I don't like to overload 'em

Sweetpea
03-25-2014, 09:19 PM
I have had a Lyman 2500 for about ten years now, never missed a beat, been run outside for days on end.doesn't owe me a thing!

Now I also have one of the big Dillon tumblers, that I got for a project that went nowhere. That thing is a beast!

Down South
03-25-2014, 09:46 PM
More breaking news, I tore the old tumbler apart and completely pulled the motor out. The motor spins free but I noticed that it didn't have any end play. I got the oil and a screw driver and started working the armature back and forth with the screwdriver while applying generous amounts of oil. I got it freed up enough that I could work the end play by hand.
I plugged the motor up while holding it and it took off shaking the snot out of my hand that was holding it.
I put the tumbler back together and plugged it up dry, ran like a top. I dumped about 300 5.56 cases in it and topped off with media, plugged it back in and it's outside cleaning brass.
The motor did have ID and numbers on it and why I did not write that info down is beyond me. That was the main reason that I tore it down.
Anyway the motor is easy to get back to. Pop the bottom off, remove the bowl and there are 4 nuts that hold the motor to the base.

To answer another question, I use corncob media with a tad of mineral spirits. Sometimes a bit of Mothers car wax.

Boomer28
03-26-2014, 08:29 AM
Hey thats great. Thanks for the info, everybody has been very helpful. We got a dusting of snow here last nite. Can't wait till this winter finally breaks. Jack (Boomer28)