PDA

View Full Version : trying to figure something out on jackets,

Dave18
03-23-2014, 08:02 PM
since 82, have used J4, and corbin jackets, (in 224-.705 length), and the mainstay rimfire jackets, with decent results, and easy in and out of corbin R dies,

have ran across jackets multiple sources that are REAL thick, like .025 wall thickness-.2235dia and are straight no tapering internally like the other jackets, and upon trying to swage, went in hard and came out hard , bad enough of never doing this BS again, , plus final dia was .2247, yet my other stuff all come out .2241

any idea, are these like surplus jackets people are picking up or what, and really are junk,
have been working on trimming and making draw dies/punches to thin out these jackets and trying to use them, but its been rather frustrating,

thought I would ask others what they have ran into , is this a case of the dies have to be made for the heavier jackets or what,

just wondering if I should continue messing with these things or just forget it and get rid of them:-(

R.Ph. 380
03-24-2014, 12:28 AM
since 82, have used J4, and corbin jackets, (in 224-.705 length), and the mainstay rimfire jackets, with decent results, and easy in and out of corbin R dies,

have ran across jackets multiple sources that are REAL thick, like .025 wall thickness-.2235dia and are straight no tapering internally like the other jackets, and upon trying to swage, went in hard and came out hard , bad enough of never doing this BS again, , plus final dia was .2247, yet my other stuff all come out .2241

any idea, are these like surplus jackets people are picking up or what, and really are junk,
have been working on trimming and making draw dies/punches to thin out these jackets and trying to use them, but its been rather frustrating,

thought I would ask others what they have ran into , is this a case of the dies have to be made for the heavier jackets or what,

just wondering if I should continue messing with these things or just forget it and get rid of them:-(

I would say that if they are too hard, why don't you try annealing some above 800 F and see if that helps.

Bill

BT Sniper
03-24-2014, 12:43 AM
Who did you pic up the thick jackets from? Are you saying J4 and RCE used to be thinner?

BT

Bullshop
03-24-2014, 01:05 AM
I have J-4 jackets in 30 cal that are two different thickness. I talked to Dave Corbin about it and he supplied me with two different core molds to produce cores for each thickness of jacket. He called the jackets thin wall and thick wall. I had to get a set of punches for each as well. Got the right tools and all is well.

Dave18
03-24-2014, 02:10 AM
no, J4 and RCE are still the same,

the jackets I have picked up from individuals,(gunshows/online) have all turned out to be the thick, straight walled types,

even the one guy here that makes jackets up in new york(cant remember name, he is on this forum) tried some, and commented how he had to draw them out before using them,

fyi, when I do draw them they do draw very easy, so I tend to think the jackets are plenty soft, but I might try to anneal some and see if it changes anything

and yes since these were thicker, I had to make, up some different punches core seating since everthing I used for the rfj and j4s were a larger dia and also had to make a smaller core mold too,

figured with all the knowledge we have here, we might get this figured out

xman777
03-24-2014, 02:52 PM
In my testing, I have ran a gamut of jacket wall thicknesses. In the end, I tried to go cheap by sourcing my own jackets out of the realm of J4 and Corbin, and every other jacket I found was thicker walled. I spent scores of cash on dies to help load those jackets and came out no further ahead until I make maybe 5k of them.
I especially learned this with the 209 shotshell primer jacket. I would draw them to 224 and the jacket was so thick I had to get a special size wire/core mold.
Moral of the story: Buy jackets that work with your tooling. Its really cheaper in the long haul. The only thing I can say is now I'm OK if there is a shortage in one or both types of jackets, but isn't that the point of shooting the 22lr jackets?
Its always cheaper to stock up.
Just my .02

aaronraad
03-24-2014, 08:45 PM
.705" length is the standard Sierra jacket stock#: T6F (https://www.sierrabullets.com/store/product.cfm/sn/T6F/22-Cal-705-Length-Jacket-Finished).

Haven't used the Sierra 22cal's myself, but their stock 30cal 1.155" length jackets are thinner at the mouth (and lighter overall) than the 1.200" 30cal J4's.

Could be jackets for mil-spec 55gr FMJ made with an open base instead of an open tip?

If they were re-drawn with a 0.012" mouth tapering from the 0.025" thick base, they would make some real tough .172 or .204 for the overbored calibres going after coyote etc.