PDA

View Full Version : Randall 45 insurance value

KCcactus
03-23-2014, 07:49 PM
I'm updating my insurance coverage and trying to get a value for my Randall match grade, compensated 45. Anyone have an idea what it is worth? Do these have collector value? Or, just value as a shooter? I know everyone likes pictures, so here they are.

SOFMatchstaff
03-23-2014, 10:17 PM
It looks like either a Model A121 or A131 that has been built into a Pin Gun. The parts that are Not Randal supplied are the, barrel compensator modifications , grip safety, grips, hammer is modified, possibly the slide release, front slide serrations, and possibly the top serrations. Cant determine if the front sight has been welded, but the flat top I had was not grooved. It is no longer a pure collector gun, and the value will be what ever you can get for it as a great looking shooter, Pure Randal un modified it would bring close to a grand as the combined total of 3100 of both model numbers were made, estimate... As is, it would probably cost you upwards of $2000 plus, just to duplicate it. thats my take from what is shown..

KCcactus
03-24-2014, 07:53 AM
Thanks for the reply.

http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/history/randall_history.htm

If this article is accurate, it is in the serial number range for Model A131. I bought it used in 91 or 92 for $589. The only thing I changed was the slide release. I hadn't heard of Randall before I got this one. My friend (an FFL) who found it for me said it was original and only about 400 were made. I don't know where he got his information. I've tried several web searches, but haven't been able to find anything about it. The dealer I bought it from was someone my friend knew. If this was aftermarket modification, someone did a fantastic job with it. The pictures don't do it justice and it shoots better than it looks.

SOFMatchstaff
03-24-2014, 12:44 PM
i have seen that article before, good read. Given Randalls picky letter/number designators, I think a run of 400 pin guns would have been assigned a series of their own. Without a box or other proven literature I will stick with my first opinion.

The Bomar instead of the Millet is another item that makes me think it started life as a "A121" flat top fixed sight model.

I built up a pin gun that mirrors yours from spare parts and "oopsies" and it is one of my favorite best shooters.

KCcactus
03-24-2014, 11:04 PM
How many places would have sold parts like that in the mid to late 80s? You have me curious about it. The compensator matches the slide, so I'm guessing there was more done than just assembly of aftermarket parts. After all this time, I imagine the odds of being able to figure out who built this are slim.