PDA

View Full Version : How would you answer this?

starmac
03-23-2014, 07:08 PM
While ago I was taking some lube out of the oven, and my wife ask if all you guys used your wives kitchens. lol

How would you reply??

I told her as a matter of fact she was luckier than most wives, BECAUSE most used the stove top to smelt and cast the boolits with too, she was lucky I just lubed mine there. lol Maybe I should have told her no, but I didn't have a star setup to lube with. Hint Hint.

sidecarmike
03-23-2014, 07:13 PM
I have the opposite problem. My wife informed me that my powder coating convection oven would be used for the Easter ham next month.

I can't complain. She has never objected to me using her oven, stove top, or freezer to shrink bearing races.

btroj
03-23-2014, 07:14 PM
I do but it try to clean up after myself.

I will also say that my wife grew up with a caster and he did everything on the kitchen stove. Heck, I learned to cast on his kitchen stove!

My wife is very tolerant. I am blessed.

DLCTEX
03-23-2014, 07:15 PM
I have, but my wife fixed me up with a microwave, hotplate, and toaster oven for my reloading room. Plus a whisk for making Ben's Red. I can take a hint.

472x1B/A
03-23-2014, 07:35 PM
I am a kitchen user. My dear wife has put up with my; lube making, boolit lubing, trapping lure making, beaver/coon skinning, hide scraping, fur inventory/bundling, gun cleaning, gun repair, gun selling/trading, reloading, mould repairing, mould cleaning, etc., etc., in our kitchen, on the floor, on the stove, in the sink, and maybe even on the walls. I love her dearly and would do ANYTHING for her.

6bg6ga
03-23-2014, 07:40 PM
I have a hot plate that I use when I make up bullet lube. I don't use her oven except to cook nor her burners. I have been guilty of putting guns on the counters and an occasional box of bullets on the counter.

In exchange for my good behavior I am allowed certain benefits such as guns and loading equipment when I need it.

cbrick
03-23-2014, 07:57 PM
What is this wife thing which you guys speak of?

Rick

Sweetpea
03-23-2014, 08:04 PM
Acronym...

You know, Wash, Iron, F.....old, Etc.:bigsmyl2:

Pb2au
03-23-2014, 08:29 PM
I pretty much leave the kitchen alone. Occasionally the counter will be a staging area as the door to the basement/Lab/Moria is in there.
The only exception is if I need a bucket of really hot water for cleaning BP guns, I will fill up my biggest tea kettle and put the Billy on to boil. But the cleaning happens elsewhere.

BNE
03-23-2014, 09:02 PM
The only reloading I do in the house is maybe some priming. All else is done in the garage.

When we were first married, my wife asked mea question I did not know how to answer. Being a good husband, I told her I wanted to buy a new gun. I asked her before I bought it. She said,

"I don't mind, but don't you already have a gun?" I was totally stumped.

When I next talked to my father and told him this story, he gave the perfect reply.

"Yes, Dear. Don't you have a dress?"

starmac
03-23-2014, 09:31 PM
LOL My wife has never said much when a gun followed me home, but once last summer she mentioned no more guns THIS month, that evening it just so happened that a guy had a near new 357 black at a too good of a price to pass up. When I walked in with it, she ask what is that. lol I told her it was hers, it was too little for me. lol Yep she still claims it amd ask what I think I am doing when I take it out. lol A couple days later a guy returned my call on a marlin cowboy. I was up on the slope, but told him I would be glad to look at it the next day. It turned out he was flying outside that day to see his girlfriend and dropped the price if I could come up with a way to get it, sooo I had to call my wife and have her pay the guy. So much for the no more guns this month deal. lol

smokeywolf
03-23-2014, 09:36 PM
Nope. Don't use the kitchen appliances for lead or lube work. The only time my lead or lube comes near the food is when it enters the food at a very high rate of speed, causing food to drop in it's tracks.

texassako
03-23-2014, 09:40 PM
I guess I am lucky since the kitchen is all mine, or maybe not since I do all the cooking. She likes my cooking enough to not complain about any other projects that may seem odd for a kitchen, but lead stays out.

geargnasher
03-23-2014, 09:47 PM
Refer to Gear's Rules if a "wife" is part of your particular equation.

Gear

canyon-ghost
03-23-2014, 09:48 PM

Rick

Exactly. I use the carport and electric pots to do casting work. I don't use my kitchen to do lubes since I found VO5 is cheaper and easier. I've seen some great cabins and sheds set up with a kitchen stove (the old one you don't throw away) and sink for bullet making. Seriously, Alberto VO5 in the tube works great for case lube. I use Carnuba Red in a heated Lyman 4500. I do store Carnuba Red in the crisper of the fridge though.

rockrat
03-23-2014, 09:50 PM
Nope, wouldn't dare use the kitchen for that. Life would be too short and painful. Anyhow, plenty of room in the barn for that.

beagle
03-23-2014, 09:58 PM
After pan lubing my first batch of 311291s with the old Lyman graphite lube (that's too old for you children to remember) and laying a liberal amount of black fingerprints that even the FBI could follow on the stovetop, light switch covers and outside door, my wife was really happy when I sprung for a new Lyman 45 lubricator/sizer without any argument./beagle

GL49
03-24-2014, 01:30 AM
Once. Only once. When the lube recipe says "do this outside 'cause it's gonna stink", believe it. But sometimes the dining room table gets covered with guns and cleaning supplies, or brass and primers.

AlaskanGuy
03-24-2014, 02:07 AM
Well, i gotta say, my wife is very tolerant... In the winter we BOTH cast on the kitchen stove, but i have rules i must follow... I use only designated cooking utensils for this sort of thing... I have my own cookie sheets, mixing tools and lube cooking pots and measuring cups... I am not allowed to use her actual cooking stuff, and considering how purty and tolerant she is, I don't push it... But I do have to share the casting pot and reloading stuff cuz we both do it....

How could I argue with this??.

100379 100380

AG

starmac
03-24-2014, 02:40 AM
I'd say you have it made. If I could con my wife into doing all of that, all I would have to do is the shooting. lol

Lead Fred
03-24-2014, 03:05 AM
Of course I use the oven in the kitchen......

By the time she gets home from work, the windows are open and the evidence is in the wind :holysheep

gmsharps
03-24-2014, 04:15 AM
I started out using the stove top to cast and the oven to heat treat. As money and space came along I have migrated to the proper place(according to her) in the barn. There I do not have to worry about the smells and if I make a mess it's not quite as bad. She has been more than tolerate and now even picks brass up at yard sales if the price is right. She doesn't cast but will cull boolits and sort brass when I bring a bag in from the range.

gmsharps

Rick Hodges
03-24-2014, 06:18 AM
I used to use her kitchen for all sorts of stuff....until she came home from work early, some years ago, and caught me boiling out a coyote skull in her new stainless steel soup pot. Even with the exhaust fan running it did stink the place up.
None of it would have mattered and she would have been none the wiser if she would have told me she only was working a half a day. I really thought she had a better sense of humor than that?
I have since been banished to the old stove in the basement or the garage for all such "non culinary" pursuits. Go Figure!

6bg6ga
03-24-2014, 06:21 AM
An easy solution is to introduce your wife to firearms. Teach her how to shoot. She will soon be hooked on the sport. Mine buys guns almost as fast as I do. When she tires of a gun I buy it from her at a reduced price. Its a win win for both of us. In return I cook on the stove but do not use it for casting or making lube.

Stephen Cohen
03-24-2014, 06:52 AM
Alaskanguy, I would say you are already in heaven life don't get any better.

bikerbeans
03-24-2014, 06:54 AM
I have a bad heart & lungs and am on oxygen 24/7 so I have my casting equipment hidden in the barn in a room inside another room. Well ventilated and only used when my wife isn't around. For some reason my R.N. wife thinks I should follow my doctor's orders. I am always telling her about this "friend" of mine who casts and gives me boolits.

BB

imashooter2
03-24-2014, 07:00 AM
I have no need to use the kitchen, so I don't and save the hassle.

Garyshome
03-24-2014, 07:12 AM
I try not to mess with the wifes stuff. She does not like it when I do!

Wayne Smith
03-24-2014, 07:43 AM
Since we both cook and both taught both boys to cook there is an agreement that casting belongs in the garage and cooking belongs in the kitchen or back yard. I do melt pre-made lube in the kitchen microwave in a sealed container to contain the smell to pour it into the lubesizers. The lube is made in the garage. This is not her request, it is our common understanding of what belongs in cooking areas.

gray wolf
03-24-2014, 09:38 AM
As the picture of my Avatar shows I live in a small Cabin, 16'X26'--
Wife, me, one 95 pound Malamute, and one 60 pound whatever.
We have snow on the ground for about 5.5 months of the year.
I will leave it up to You all to figure out what I do in the Camp.
But I will say that after years of casting I have seen the fine dust created by cutting sprues. So I will not cast inside without ventilation or have lead dust in the house that i can't control.
Venting is not an option for me. Trust me men I have had the pot out many times and all the gear and just said nope, I just can't do it. I have cast some at the wood stove when I can't handle it any longer and JUST have to see some lead in it's molten state.

Bzcraig
03-24-2014, 10:32 AM
Weather is a non-issue here so ALL my reloading fun takes place in the garage, the wife does on occasion come out to visit while I tinkering around.

bobthenailer
03-24-2014, 11:15 AM
I dont think i would ever get a KITCHEN PASS ! but i have other means to do my heating

rr2241tx
03-24-2014, 01:30 PM
Using the kitchen for cooking got me in enough trouble. I just assumed that it would be cheaper to buy my own countertop convection oven to melt lube and dry brass than atoning for such egregious trespassing. I also found out that fluxing my smelting pot with wood shavings needs to be done when the breeze isn't blowing the smoke into the garage because the air handler in the attic that communicates with the garage fills the house with smoke. Apparently half a day of smoke alarm screeching is a problem.

9w1911
03-24-2014, 01:35 PM
I stay away, no mess no hassle

mold maker
04-01-2014, 08:59 PM
I've been married to her for over 50 years. That proves I listen really good. I eat what ever she fixes in HER kitchen, unless she ask me to do the cooking.
She shoots what ever I make up in MY cave.

CastingFool
04-01-2014, 10:11 PM
Of course, I use my wife's kitchen............every sunday morning, when I cook breakfast for both of us. Boolit casting for me is basically a summer and fall proposition, as I cast outdoors, wouldn't think of casting indoors. I have used our 2nd kitchen to make lube (Emmert's), and I do have my own pots.

TXGunNut
04-01-2014, 10:20 PM

Rick

Dunno, but if I find a woman that lets me HT boolits and dry cases in her oven I'll probably make her some of my almost-famous cinnamon rolls. Then we'll talk.